Anemone and Live rock

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first anemone yesterday (green bubble tip). It's attached to a live rock and I have it quarantined. How long should I keep it in it's own tank before moving both the rock and anemone into my tank?

I have a 40 gallon with fake plants and fake decor. 1 green spotted puffer and 5 mollies. I am wanting to get more live rocks and eventually get a blenny, for my algae (my puffer eats all the snails and shrimp I have put in there)
IMG_20210302_161022.jpg

I have tried asking all the aquarium sites on facebook, but no one will respond to my posts :-(

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any is taking you seriously. Your tank looks like a fresh water setup, not saltwater.
How long has your tank been set up? What filtration and lighting are you using? I only see an airline for circulation, which is not enough. What are your salinity, Alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate levels?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first anemone yesterday (green bubble tip). It's attached to a live rock and I have it quarantined. How long should I keep it in it's own tank before moving both the rock and anemone into my tank?

I have a 40 gallon with fake plants and fake decor. 1 green spotted puffer and 5 mollies. I am wanting to get more live rocks and eventually get a blenny, for my algae (my puffer eats all the snails and shrimp I have put in there)
IMG_20210302_161022.jpg

I have tried asking all the aquarium sites on facebook, but no one will respond to my posts :-(
Welcome! If serious I wouldn't recommend putting anything in that tank.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry, but you need a saltwater tank. Wrong setup, wrong filtration and wrong substrate

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off what is the filtration like on this thing? Also there is no live rock in sight and all the gravel, plants, and (fake wood?) are for freshwater not saltwater tanks. Do you use rodi water? It looks like you also have a hydrometer floating in the tank?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need to most likely completely start over.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off what is the filtration like on this thing? Also there is no live rock in sight and all the gravel, plants, and (fake wood?) are for freshwater not saltwater tanks. Do you use rodi water? It looks like you also have a hydrometer floating in the tank?
I have two aqua flow 50, hob
yes I have a hydrometer, that is mainly for me to keep tabs on the salinity daily. I have a digital salinity reader that I use for a more accurate testing
My live rock is in quarantine. Yes I know that what my tank looks like is for freshwater. As I get more live rocks, I will be removing the fake plants and fake log. I am just getting started on changing my decor/look of the tank. It has been a saltwater (originally was going to be brackish, but decided to go full salt.) for a few months, but only now getting live rock and stuff.
What is "rodi" water?
I have a really tight budget, if I am lucky I can spend $30.00 a month on stuff. I know it is going to be a slow process to get it to where I want it, but that gives me time to learn from those who have been in this hobby for a while.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have a hydrometer, that is mainly for me to keep tabs on the salinity daily. I have a digital salinity reader that I use for a more accurate testing
My live rock is in quarantine. Yes I know that what my tank looks like is for freshwater. As I get more live rocks, I will be removing the fake plants and fake log. I am just getting started on changing my decor/look of the tank. It has been a saltwater (originally was going to be brackish, but decided to go full salt.) for a few months, but only now getting live rock and stuff.
What is "rodi" water?
I have a really tight budget, if I am lucky I can spend $30.00 a month on stuff. I know it is going to be a slow process to get it to where I want it, but that gives me time to learn from those who have been in this hobby for a while.
Sadly I may just recommend not going with saltwater. I posted an article above on how to set things up. No matter what I would try to return all of your fish and the anemone. With the current setup of the tank I'm not sure any will survive. The anemone definitely will not.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rodi is purified water most people here use for aquariums. stands for reverse osmosis deionized water. tap water and condition will NOT work 99% of the time for keeping a reef tank long term. it will keep the mollies alive because they can live in anything

Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is "rodi" water?
With 30USD will take 10 months just to get cheap lighting than the rock sand etc will take you months too. Only in 2-3 years you will be ready start on that budget. Maybe fish only would work sooner but no corals and anemones for a while.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is a saltwater tank.
What do I need to do differently?
Honestly. . . . . ..
The gravel has no buffering capability.
the plants are sharp plastic and will injure your fish
The log is likely tinting or will tint your water yellow and make it acidic (PH).
the light is insufficient and will promote algae
Tap water is going to be your enemy.

This looks very familiar to a tank a customer had when i had my pet store and after the customer returning 3 damsels the same day dead, I tested her water and could not come up with a reading. To make a long story short, she was using Morton salt and had gravel, etc.

What salt are you using?
Do you have test kits and what type?
What type of heater are you using ?

At a $30/mo budget, I would revert back to Freshwater and slowly buy necessities off craigslist or R2R marketplace. I have 34 years in the hobby and believe me, with your plan/setup/budget, this is Not going to end well.
Speaking on my behalf and for likely others, I dont want to discourage you and we welcome you as a reefer but you have to be ready for expense, challenge, patience, research and advice.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
M

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any is taking you seriously. Your tank looks like a fresh water setup, not saltwater.
How long has your tank been set up? What filtration and lighting are you using? I only see an airline for circulation, which is not enough. What are your salinity, Alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate levels?
My tank has been set up for a couple months. Salinity 1.023, did water change yesterday. two hob aqua clear 50's

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 30USD will take 10 months just to get cheap lighting than the rock sand etc will take you months too. Only in 2-3 years you will be ready start on that budget. Maybe fish only would work sooner but no corals and anemones for a while.
Ok...

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been set up for a couple months. Salinity 1.023, did water change yesterday. two hob aqua clear 50's
Sorry but that tank is just not set up properly for saltwater. The fish may live for a while but I fear the worst for them. The anemone will not have a chance. Sorry everyone was so quick to disregard your post, however it's just not setup correctly to succeed. I posted a link earlier for how to set up a tank. Give it a good read along with the other links on the new to saltwater forum. If you do choose to continue and would like to restart and get things right all of us will be here to help you along the way.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please read about how to set up a tank properly and maybe watch a few beginner guide videos from bulk reef supply, then attempt to put together the tank. You will most likely need rodi or other purified water, can be bought from the local fish store (LFS) or made using rodi filter (cost around 150). The mollies could live in literal pee and be fine

Upvote 0
Back