Anemone and power heads. After the fact

Devon5698

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I had a nem of mine get into one of my power heads around 3 weeks ago, he still is alive but his behavior is weird. He doesn’t come on top of my rocks he was hiding under a rock in a cave. Took that rock out he footed in the same place but moved the same night to the other side of the tank under a different rock. Also when I took the rock out he wasn’t attached to anything. His foot didn’t feel really sticky I never remember it being sticky even b4 the accident. Also I caught him with his mouth open and I’ve heard on other threads that could be a bad thing. Why. And I wonder if it could be lighting. Thank y’all it really helps. Also my tank is 3 months old and I’ve had him for a month maybe more. Newbie mistake LFS didn’t mention nems needed established tanks didn’t look it up. I believe the nem is a magnificent anemone. Pictures are b4 getting In the power head. Don’t have any of him now.

289FE558-3185-41B9-80CF-C26FBB55D7F7.jpeg BFCEED76-EB4E-4468-A0EF-C41D4E78F139.jpeg

Last edited:

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time itll recover but you might want to keep up the water changes while its healing.they also end up in return tubes so keep a eye on it. They like indirect lighting and low flow.barely waving

OP
OP
Devon5698

Devon5698

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time itll recover but you might want to keep up the water changes while its healing.they also end up in return tubes so keep a eye on it. They like indirect lighting and low flow.barely waving
I try to keep up with weekly 20% water changes. I have a 25g lagoon. Thank you for the advice :)

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to see if it deflates.

If it does, it needs antibiotics.

If you have another tank, move it and make sure it can't touch the heater or a pump.

If you can't do it, you need to keep a close eye on that anemone, it can kill all your fish if it dies.

When healthy, they need high flow and light.

OP
OP
Devon5698

Devon5698

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I had a nem of mine get into one of my power heads around 3 weeks ago, he still is alive but his behavior is weird. He doesn’t come on top of my rocks he was hiding under a rock in a cave. Took that rock out he footed in the same place but moved the same night to the other side of the tank under a different rock. Also when I took the rock out he wasn’t attached to anything. His foot didn’t feel really sticky I never remember it being sticky even b4 the accident. Also I caught him with his mouth open and I’ve heard on other threads that could be a bad thing. Why. And I wonder if it could be lighting. Thank y’all it really helps.

If you have another tank, move it and make sure it can't touch the heater or a pump.

If you can't do it, you need to keep a close eye on that anemone, it can kill all your fish if it dies.

I don’t really know what they look like deflated I’ll look that up. I have a innovative marine 25g AIO so the pump and heater I don’t have to worry about only little slits in the overflow. Sadly I believe I had Brooklyn so my tank only has a goby keeping an eye on him until then my other fish stay in my only other tank lol. What antibiotics would you treat a nem with and are they reef safe? Dip?

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High flow really?? Wow the guy i got my nems from says different and he has a tank full of them.hmm maybe Ill crank up my flow then.and if works out I could add more sps.every time they're were next to mild flow they wondered and settled in almost a dead zone. 3 rose bubble tips.
20210514_155052.jpg

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow really?? Wow the guy i got my nems from says different and he has a tank full of them.hmm maybe Ill crank up my flow then.and if works out I could add more sps.every time they're were next to mild flow they wondered and settled in almost a dead zone. 3 rose bubble tips.
20210514_155052.jpg

He doesn't have a bubbletip, he has a magnifica, totally different care requirements.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificas are almost always wild collected and are extremely difficult to keep alive during the first couple of months. After they settle, they're ok.

A deflated magnifica looks like it's about to die, with the tentacles extremely thin. When they're sick they repeatedly inflate and deflate, alternating between looking like they're about to die and looking good.

OP
OP
Devon5698

Devon5698

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificas are almost always wild collected and are extremely difficult to keep alive during the first couple of months. After they settle, they're ok.

A deflated magnifica looks like it's about to die, with the tentacles extremely thin. When they're sick they repeatedly inflate and deflate, alternating between looking like they're about to die and looking good.
Thank you that’s really good info

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back