Anemone chop chop: How to Setup an Anemone Propogation System | How To Tuesday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be the odd man out and step up and say I wish people did not advocate this, most only show us the success of doing this, and not the great many failures.
It's just too easy to induce a split by overfeeding which is much safer.
Yeah, I guess this is faster, but most of us know the saying about rushing things in this hobby.
Sorry, just gotta shed light on possible negative outcome, hate to see people lose something they may be attached to, and I wouldn't do this in display risking fouling your tank.

Nothing wrong with being the oddman out, I often am :) You make a good point though. If all your trying to do is get a single BTA in your display to split into two, I agree 100%. I wouldn't hassle with cutting it. Aside from the risk of fouling your display tank, you really don't want to go tearing the thing out of your display either. Its easy to tear a foot or do other damage. This is really a setup for someone dedicated to propagating large numbers of BTA's just like setting up an individual frag tank for the same purpose.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the clarification, did recognize some new people/tanks that are not really even ready for a nem quite yet, and then add splicing to the mix and, you know...
I do love your vids and products, and you guys back your stuff well.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones

Anemones dont have a protective calcium "skeleton," they are basically the free moving polyp inside the coral.

I dont advocate choping anemones because of the damage that is done to the animal. It creates alot of stress on the animals and does not always lead to survival.

If your system is not 100 percent the anemone will risk infection or not being able to close up correctly when you cut it.

This is not like fragging a coral or zoas, You are literally cutting through its stomach, gonads. Lots of chances for things to go wrong.

OP
OP
B

BSchlecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones dont have a protective calcium "skeleton," they are basically the free moving polyp inside the coral.

I dont advocate choping anemones because of the damage that is done to the animal. It creates alot of stress on the animals and does not always lead to survival.

If your system is not 100 percent the anemone will risk infection or not being able to close up correctly when you cut it.

This is not like fragging a coral or zoas, You are literally cutting through its stomach, gonads. Lots of chances for things to go wrong.

Thanks for sharing. Certainly like anything in this hobby there is a lot of different ways to do (or not do) anything and appreciate your sharing. Hopefully you find some value in the how-to aspect should you find a need to do it some day.

thesaltysnailer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cutting the nem does it matter if you cut the mouth in half parallel or perpendicular if that makes sense. -----=----- or -------||----- Don't know how else to word it. :noidea:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff!

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this technique be used on Carpets as well?

No, 100% not.

Justinky is right. While it's possible it may work, the success rate is very low and you'll likely just end up with a dead anemone. I have heard of varying success with Maxi Mini carpet anemones, but I would probably still avoid it.

Back