Anemone damaged and part cut off in powerhead

arad1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an anemone go through a powerhead at night and part of it was cut off and floating around the tank. It looks like it's still alive. I removed the part that was cut off, since it was floating around the tank. It was a pretty large chunk.

Should I just remove the nem? And get a new one for my clowns?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an anemone go through a powerhead at night and part of it was cut off and floating around the tank. It looks like it's still alive. I removed the part that was cut off, since it was floating around the tank. It was a pretty large chunk.

Should I just remove the nem? And get a new one for my clowns?
I would definitely do a water change (10-25%) to minimize any additional exposure to the tank. As for the healthy part, if it seems ok I'd leave it but keep a very close eye on it.

OP
OP
A

arad1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely do a water change (10-25%) to minimize any additional exposure to the tank. As for the healthy part, if it seems ok I'd leave it but keep a very close eye on it.
It seems ok. It's attached. I turned one powerhead off. Should I turn the other off? The only thing in the tank is 2 clowns and a RBTA. I'll definitely do a water change right now.

Thank you so very much, I've been slowly beating myself up over this

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems ok. It's attached. I turned one powerhead off. Should I turn the other off? The only thing in the tank is 2 clowns and a RBTA. I'll definitely do a water change right now.

Thank you so very much, I've been slowly beating myself up over this
Do you have any grills/protectors (anti-anemone) for your powerheads? You can jury-rig an interim solution with something like a mesh media bag. I would probably try to keep at least one powerhead on, but turn off the one closest to the anemone. Is it in the rocks or on the glass?

OP
OP
A

arad1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any grills/protectors (anti-anemone) for your powerheads? You can jury-rig an interim solution with something like a mesh media bag. I would probably try to keep at least one powerhead on, but turn off the one closest to the anemone. Is it in the rocks or on the glass?
I do not, after doing some research I was planning on rigging something. Would cheese cloth work in the interim? It's on LR the farthest away from the power head that's running. I pulled out an old crappy 950gph just to keep some water moving. It's a 40B tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unless chewed up looking like it went in a vegimatic, keep it in area of moderate light and flow and allow it to settle and even move. I would not yet attempt to feed it

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not, after doing some research I was planning on rigging something. Would cheese cloth work in the interim? It's on LR the farthest away from the power head that's running. I pulled out an old crappy 950gph just to keep some water moving. It's a 40B tank.
Cheesecloth will probably clog up fairly quickly and restrict flow - so I'd maybe look at something else that will let enough flow through while disincentivizing the anemone.

OP
OP
A

arad1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you recommend I wait to feed? It's pretty inta
Cheesecloth will probably clog up fairly quickly and restrict flow - so I'd maybe look at something else that will let enough flow through while disincentivizing the anemone.
I was just thinking of what I had on hand at this moment. I'll look into some stuff and see what I can come up with

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you recommend I wait to feed? It's pretty inta
I was just thinking of what I had on hand at this moment. I'll look into some stuff and see what I can come up with
I probably wouldn't actively feed it anything for a while (my anemones mostly get fed via Reef Roids and whatever they snare when I'm feeding the fish).

OP
OP
A

arad1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you recommend I wait to feed?
I probably wouldn't actively feed it anything for a while (my anemones mostly get fed via Reef Roids and whatever they snare when I'm feeding the fish).
Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on it and water parameters. I'll do a water change, do you recommend doing one or multiple?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you recommend I wait to feed?

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on it and water parameters. I'll do a water change, do you recommend doing one or multiple?
I'd do a 10-25% water change, then return to your normal routine unless you see anything else amiss in the tank (cloudiness, etc.)

OP
OP
A

arad1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a 10-25% water change, then return to your normal routine unless you see anything else amiss in the tank (cloudiness, etc.)
Woke up and now it looks like this. Should I pull it?

Attachments

• 20220801_075117.jpg
    20220801_075117.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 48
Back