Anemone growing out of anemone foot?

bradb14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve got a M doreensis, it had an unfortunate encounter with the wavemaker. The foot was wedged into the grid of the power head and I needed to make an incision to get it out. I cut about 1/8th of the foot off to free the anemone. That was about 2 months ago. The nem has almost completely recovered with the exception of the foot situation.

it seems that a mini anemone is growing out of the foot where I made the cut? Anyone experienced this?

My question now is, will this actually form a complete anemone and then detach, or what is going to happen next?

Pics attached.

On a secondary note, anyone kept carpet anemones and sand anemones together? It’s 1000L tank (250 or so gallons) and the carpet seems to “chase” the sand anemone. That’s why caused the wavemaker incident in the first place. According to some of the sources on here they shouldn’t be having beef, especially so far apart, so what gives? Last night the carpet crossed the entire length of the tank to settle right beneath where the sand anemone is suspended in a healing tub.

E5F8D469-DB7C-4EB1-A43C-AF2553EDF895.jpeg 876778C7-DF87-47A1-98B8-9520E66E94FD.jpeg 77B3C5B3-2317-4677-9A29-6BEAF123D113.jpeg

Bajie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I thought an LTA with a damaged foot would never make it.
Will keep an eye on this thread

OP
OP
B

bradb14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do! It was badly damaged. The plate part that the tentacles grow out of was badly torn, the foot was obviously cut off, there was flesh all over the place. About 2 weeks later all the damage to the body was healed up, about a week later the foot seemed to “heal”, now some time later there’s an anemone growing out of it lol.

Its foot doesn’t seem to stick to anything though. So that’s a concern.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super interesting. I'm curious if a mouth would form where the new tentacles are forming? And if it does...would it cause a split? Following

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a LTA owner I've never seen or heard of this either. PLEASE keep us updated on what happens.

I have a Beaded(Heteractic Aurora) in with my LTA and they do tend to stick by each other--the Beaded follows the LTA when it moves.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back