Anemone hasn't left the rock it came on

ReeferTruck314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I bought a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone last week from my LFS. It came from a local reefer who sold/traded a bunch of them to the store a month or so before I bought it. They were all in the same tank and all looked healthy, as best I could tell. I picked the one that was sitting right in front of the return pump nozzle and under the lights. It was attached to a small piece of live rock and the guy said I could just have the rock. I took it home and started dripping it for about an hour or so. Since it was in a high flow, high light area in the LFS tank, I figured it would find itself a spot similar to that in my tank. I placed the rock off to the side of the tank in a low flow, low light area, hoping it would move off of the rock it came in on. It hasn't moved at all since then, but It seems healthy for the most part. It's mouth isn't open, most of it's tentacles are extended, it has a firm hold on the rock, I just fed it for the first time and it appears to be eating. I do have a few questions though:

Is there anyway I can encourage it to take a walk? I want to put the rock in my sump eventually but I don't want to force him off. Is he just staying put because it's a new environment?
One idea I had was to move the rock somewhere else and hope he gets mad and walks off but I don't want to stress him out. Should I wait another week or move it today and see what happens?

Every night when the lights start to dim, it shrinks to about 25% of its normal size and eventually will close up almost all the way(just some tentacles sticking out). Then when the lights go all the way out it will open back up but remain about 25-50% of its original size until the morning. Is this normal? Will it do this forever or is it just adjusting to my light schedule?

The rock is placed near the glass and the tentacles that touch the glass are significantly smaller than the others, should I be concerned at all? I'll post pictures after I finish this.

I have a pair of clowns in a QT that are ready to move into the display. Should I wait another week or so to let the nem fully acclimate or will it be alright to add them in this week?

A little about the tank:
20gal High with a HOB overflow into a diy 10gal sump(~6gal actual).
It's about a year old and I have a protein skimmer and a refugium.
I do have a small algae problem but I've been removing as much as I can and keeping nitrates and phosphates low.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I bought a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone last week from my LFS. It came from a local reefer who sold/traded a bunch of them to the store a month or so before I bought it. They were all in the same tank and all looked healthy, as best I could tell. I picked the one that was sitting right in front of the return pump nozzle and under the lights. It was attached to a small piece of live rock and the guy said I could just have the rock. I took it home and started dripping it for about an hour or so. Since it was in a high flow, high light area in the LFS tank, I figured it would find itself a spot similar to that in my tank. I placed the rock off to the side of the tank in a low flow, low light area, hoping it would move off of the rock it came in on. It hasn't moved at all since then, but It seems healthy for the most part. It's mouth isn't open, most of it's tentacles are extended, it has a firm hold on the rock, I just fed it for the first time and it appears to be eating. I do have a few questions though:

Is there anyway I can encourage it to take a walk? I want to put the rock in my sump eventually but I don't want to force him off. Is he just staying put because it's a new environment?
One idea I had was to move the rock somewhere else and hope he gets mad and walks off but I don't want to stress him out. Should I wait another week or move it today and see what happens?

Every night when the lights start to dim, it shrinks to about 25% of its normal size and eventually will close up almost all the way(just some tentacles sticking out). Then when the lights go all the way out it will open back up but remain about 25-50% of its original size until the morning. Is this normal? Will it do this forever or is it just adjusting to my light schedule?

The rock is placed near the glass and the tentacles that touch the glass are significantly smaller than the others, should I be concerned at all? I'll post pictures after I finish this.

I have a pair of clowns in a QT that are ready to move into the display. Should I wait another week or so to let the nem fully acclimate or will it be alright to add them in this week?

A little about the tank:
20gal High with a HOB overflow into a diy 10gal sump(~6gal actual).
It's about a year old and I have a protein skimmer and a refugium.
I do have a small algae problem but I've been removing as much as I can and keeping nitrates and phosphates low.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks
This is a good thing. You don’t want it strolling about your tank. It can sting corals, get sucked into power heads. Shrinking with lights out is normal.

OP
OP
R

ReeferTruck314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201025_204059.jpg

Here it is last night as the lights were dimming.

20201026_114128.jpg

Here it is this morning as the lights were ramping up. Notice how small the tentacles are on the glass?

20201026_132651.jpg
here it is when it's fully open

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201025_204059.jpg

Here it is last night as the lights were dimming.

20201026_114128.jpg

Here it is this morning as the lights were ramping up. Notice how small the tentacles are on the glass?

20201026_132651.jpg
here it is when it's fully open
Can’t you move the rock away from the glass? Otherwise it looks fine.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great! I have two rock flower nems and hitched on a crab than ended up on the bottom of my heater cage

OP
OP
R

ReeferTruck314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as i said you claimed it was a rose but it looks more like a rainbow are you sure?

It was sold as a Rose but I kinda suspected it was something fancier.

It looks really healthy, don’t worry about it :)

I can't help it, especially with something so pretty... and expensive lol

Can’t you move the rock away from the glass? Otherwise it looks fine.

That's what I'm probably going to do tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my book, if I get an anemone on a rock and it won't leave its rock for anything. I can that a win lol.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back