Anemone help

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I’ve had this BTA for just over a month and it’s already been through some trauma. In the first two weeks it was caught in my filter as he kept moving around and getting sucked. A few tentacles were ripped off that time and he healed miraculously. That just happened again today however a chunk of the Nem got ripped off into the filter. (I’m not sure how long it was stuck in the filter as I came home from work and found him like that. He seemed fine in the morning.) I had to remove the filter cartridges just to get to that piece. It was looking really bad so I took both pieces out of the tank and put them in a container with lighting to see if either piece was viable. The tentacles on The larger piece were moving around, and on the smaller piece I thought it was dead, however a couple hours later they both opened up and the tentacles are extended. The larger piece had attached to the side of the container for a while, but then detached and floated back to the bottom. I’ve attached pics of what they look like 3-4 hours after removing from filter.

I’m not sure if removing them from the tank was a good idea.
Do you think either will survive?
Should I keep them in the container or put them back into my tank?

I placed a piece of shrimp on each piece of nem to see if they would eat. Not sure if that was a good idea as well.

Tank:
10 gallon
2 clownfish
Blue leg hermits
Turbo snails
I checked the water parameters after removing the bta and everything was slightly elevated so I did a 10 percent water change. I’ll be checking the parameters again.

Thank you!
FFDD25A1-29E0-46CE-AC0C-1F2AC5858FED.jpeg

SirHealsALot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man, that is one hardy BTA. I would say that placing them in a container will only cause them more stress. I would say to let them stay in the main tank but make sure to run something like carbon so in case the nem dies, it doesn't nuke ur whole system..

then again, not much in the system anyways so probably the Nemos and hermits will be fine regardless

OP
OP
Rayray95

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have a carbon cartridge in my filter that I replaced earlier this month. Do you think that’s enough or should I add more carbon?

SirHealsALot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm a small bag of carbon? probably a good idea to swap it out since carbon is usually there for times like these anyways...

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them back in dt and protect them from the filter. Moving this much means it was unhappy. Need to know lights flow and all parameters to help you figure out why it’s moving. Could be the system just isn’t ready for a anemone. Good luck.

Ctafesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1603275143838.png
1603275295788.png
Here is a pic I found from an earlier R2R post. pretty genius way to protect them once you put them back in. The second pic is from a product on amazon........lots just like it. Good luck. Hope it survives!!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are surprisingly hardy. But wow yours has definitely been through a lot! Definitely put the nem back in the tank (both pieces) and let them recover. You should also safeguard your tank for your nem -- so cover up the / screen the filter intakes, powerheads, small holes, etc. Just assume it will travel everywhere including places you don't want it to go.

OP
OP
Rayray95

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them back in dt and protect them from the filter. Moving this much means it was unhappy. Need to know lights flow and all parameters to help you figure out why it’s moving. Could be the system just isn’t ready for a anemone. Good luck.
Hi, thank you.
I have a Fluval aquasky 380mm light with an automatic light cycle for 12 hours. I’ve adjusted the lighting to mimic sunup/sundown.
As for water quality I don’t remember off the top of my head the numbers for ph, nitratates, etc. but can give you those numbers once I’m home.
I noticed it moved when something changed and the last time it moved was because I added hermit crabs which was a couple weeks ago and then it stayed put on the live rock until yesterday. I don’t know what else changed. My tank has been cycling for almost 3 months. I read that I should have waited at least 6 mo, but the guys at the aquatic store convinced me other wise. (Rookie mistake?) I’m not sure if that’s the real issue because besides moving those 3 times, the Nem seemed to be happy.

OP
OP
Rayray95

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are surprisingly hardy. But wow yours has definitely been through a lot! Definitely put the nem back in the tank (both pieces) and let them recover. You should also safeguard your tank for your nem -- so cover up the / screen the filter intakes, powerheads, small holes, etc. Just assume it will travel everywhere including places you don't want it to go.
I’m going to get a screen today for the filter. Thank you.

OP
OP
Rayray95

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1603275143838.png
1603275295788.png
Here is a pic I found from an earlier R2R post. pretty genius way to protect them once you put them back in. The second pic is from a product on amazon........lots just like it. Good luck. Hope it survives!!
Thank you! I’m going to try to get something like that today!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can makes holes into the container so you can keep them inside the container....There needs to be water flow. you may end up with 2 nems if they heal and don’t die.

I would look into upgrading lights. Long term that light wouldn’t be great for the nem

OP
OP
Rayray95

Rayray95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can makes holes into the container so you can keep them inside the container....There needs to be water flow. you may end up with 2 nems if they heal and don’t die.

I would look into upgrading lights. Long term that light wouldn’t be great for the nem
Thank you. I’ve placed the nems back in the tank. The original Nem looks to be doing well. I’m nervous about the small piece. It’ll open up for a little bit and then close back up. It’s been doing that for a few hours now.
Noted about the light. I’ll look into a stronger light

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back