Anemone ID Please

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is gonna sound odd but is it a rockflower? I mean I actually think so, it just has an odd coloration. I have a rock flower in my tank with the harpoon stlye tentacles and body shape, just a different color, maybe yours is slightly bleached? The texture on the oral disk and your description of harpoon tentacles makes me think rockflower. I hope I could be of some help.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is gonna sound odd but is it a rockflower? I mean I actually think so, it just has an odd coloration. I have a rock flower in my tank with the harpoon stlye tentacles and body shape, just a different color, maybe yours is slightly bleached? The texture on the oral disk and your description of harpoon tentacles makes me think rockflower. I hope I could be of some help.
if you can drop some photos here PLEASE, I'll appreciate it, I got it from a friend of mine who do buy tank sbrake down from other reefers, he had from someone, we don't know is it bleached or no, I keep it since month ago under lower light, it was for 2 weeks on higher light, and it always stay the same, if it's bleached already will be hard to find zooxanthellae to feed it with to can get it back in.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tentacles and oral disk, it almost looks like some kind of Enthemonae anemone or a heteractis aurora (beaded nem).

Was this nem store bought or personally harvested? If harvested personally, where was it taken from? That will help narrow it down.
Looking now images of this SPs to try to ID it :) Thank you. I'll drop a MSG here if I find it

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it look similar to this one: https://www.e-marineaquatics.co.uk/products/beaded-anemone-heteractis-aurora-green-and-purple
few of this genus: heteractis aurora , have similar SP to my one, but none of them is white/green like my one. Like some people say probably is bleached but I have since month and half ago, so if is bleached it can die in the next few months w/o the zooxanthellae. So have to find another one from the same SP and to get tentacle from it :( isn't going to be easy job to save it then :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on beaded anemone. often confused with sebae anemone

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the last few photos, hour ago and now under the room light it extend it self really much(the body I mean).
It look like is trying to catch the snail which is very close ;Woot

IMG_5988.jpg IMG_5989.jpg IMG_5990.jpg IMG_5991.jpg IMG_5992.jpg IMG_5993.jpg IMG_5994.jpg IMG_5995.jpg IMG_6014.jpg IMG_6015.jpg IMG_6016.jpg IMG_6018.jpg IMG_6020.jpg IMG_6021.jpg

And the bigger video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z5Nk9qQMkcbeqGUXA

Attachments

• IMG_6017.MOV
    21.5 MB
OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who have idea about the reseeding it with zooxanthellae? Do I need to be from the same Sp to can bring back the colors of it or only from the same SP ?

In the Articles @OrionN explain what's the process Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones

I think to try it, but not sure only about from what Anemone can take it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it will come back on it's own

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will come back on it's own
That will be great, at the moment I place it on a lower light, today when I blast near it to remove the detritus from the container it drop 2 ball of poo (so it's feeding), never got food when I target feeding it. So it look healthy to me, and if usually have different coloration it will come back I hope, like you say

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am no expert, but looks good to me ;) and getting better:)

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am no expert, but looks good to me ;) and getting better:)
I'm not too. But it is the same as month ago, it don't have any change in the coloration or something else. when I place it under brighter light for 2 weeks it wasn't opening that much (which is normal for sand anemone), not it's fully extended I think, just I'm not sure for how long it can survive if it's bleached like we think, and after how long it can bring the colors back with the zooxanthellae, and is it really way to speed that process. Don't have zooxanthellae which I can just put in the water current to help with. Don't know do it exist way or no to get from something.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back