Anemone is eating healthy chromis....

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211201_004112.jpg

Perfectly healthy chromis always swimming laps, eating well got along great with the clowns and I leave the tank for a couple hours and come back to see my chromis being eaten while my clowns are sleeping next to it, should I be worried about my other fish? Any idea what could have happened? I could use some help...

Thanks, Dominic

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It died and drifted into the anemone (and anemones aren't one to turn down a free meal).
2. It wasn't quite as healthy as you thought and got snagged by the anemone (death by misadventure).
3. The clownfish provoked the chromis and lured it into a trap ("It's a trap!"). ;)

I've yet to lose a single fish to an anemone (and I've got about 20 different ones), and the only fish I lost to a 'plant' was a naso tang to an elegance coral (tangs are so stupid).

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It died and drifted into the anemone (and anemones aren't one to turn down a free meal).
2. It wasn't quite as healthy as you thought and got snagged by the anemone (death by misadventure).
3. The clownfish provoked the chromis and lured it into a trap ("It's a trap!"). ;)

I've yet to lose a single fish to an anemone (and I've got about 20 different ones), and the only fish I lost to a 'plant' was a naso tang to an elegance coral (tangs are so stupid).
So if it wasn't killed by the anemone then what should I do? Water change? I don't want to lose more fish. Also I like the reference lol.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it wasn't killed by the anemone then what should I do? Water change? I don't want to lose more fish. Also I like the reference lol.
How many other fish do you have? I'd maybe test your water parameters(including ammonia).

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other fish do you have? I'd maybe test your water parameters(including ammonia).
I just have 2 ocellarias clowns and 1 red fire fish. Ill test water tonight when I get home but ammonia has been very low or undetectable consistently.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have 2 ocellarias clowns and 1 red fire fish. Ill test water tonight when I get home but ammonia has been very low or undetectable consistently.
Chromis have a tendency to just die unexpectedly (at least that iI've found). I wouldn't necessarily panic. Run the tests first and see if there's anything out of the ordinary and check-in on the other fish to observe if you see anything unusual with any of them.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some BTA's... Well, a few :D

With this 24" RBTA clone garden, I've not lost a single fish to the 'nems. Even my little midas blenny, which lives in the crack under the nems, no problem. I'd tend to doubt that your little nem grabbed a healthy fish out of the water. Possible? Sure, but highly unlikely.

I don't do chromis. Just not something I want, but they're cheap, almost all are wild captured, and they're sold in huge quantities... highly likely to come in with some sort of health problem.

How long have you had the chromis? The anemone? How long has the tank been up?

Reef2.jpg

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes things just happen, by virtue of owning an anemone these risks are inherent. There are only anecdotal reasons for what happened. Can this happen again? Yes. I can't think of a way to stop it short from removing the anemone.

Sorry for your loss

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back