Anemone is thriving but clown fish pairs keep dyin

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I know this is difficult, I have set up a nano fish only tank 2 months ago which has an internal sump/filter at the back which is loaded with filter floss and activated carbon in chamber 1, coral chips and ceramic rings in chamber 2, return pump at chamber 3 (no skimmer yet), good t 5 lighting (lighting’s good because BTB is bubbly and great). For Water parameters 0 ppm ammonia, don’t have a nitrite test kit yet but there ain’t any algae or diatom so I am guessing that nitrates under control (will get a nitrite test kit soon) dry rock and sand is clean with hitch hikers, had lot of pods last week got eaten by clown fishes. Any ideas as to why clown fishes keep dyin ?? But anemone is green and gorgeous with those bubbly tentacles takin feed once in 2 days etc... Hope I could get some pointers!!

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the anemone is truly in great shape then you must be looking at some type of parasite that’s passing from one pair to another.
Any notable symptoms before they pass? Spots, sores, flashing, gulping air or labored breathing? Any chance they get a strange discolored coat that looks like they are shedding?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money on the Nitrite test kit... Nitrate and Phosphate are more important in a cycled tank (maybe Alkalinity and Calcium tests if you plan to add coral at some point). How often do you replace the filter media?

As for the clown fish, how long are they lasting before they pass? Have any pics of them?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity tests are needed at minimum for which to purchase. If fish are dying its due to some sort of illness or parasite. Recommend doing some research in the disease forum and setting up a quarantine.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money on the Nitrite test kit... Nitrate and Phosphate are more important in a cycled tank (maybe Alkalinity and Calcium tests if you plan to add coral at some point). How often do you replace the filter media?

As for the clown fish, how long are they lasting before they pass? Have any pics of them?
If the anemone is truly in great shape then you must be looking at some type of parasite that’s passing from one pair to another.
Any notable symptoms before they pass? Spots, sores, flashing, gulping air or labored breathing? Any chance they get a strange discolored coat that looks like they are shedding?
Here’s a picture of my BTB, clowns were in nice colour, they always tend to avoid high flow areas or near wave maker, at night once the light goes of they go to each side of the tank, one under the outlet pipe and another one near the sump inlet.. las night I changed the power placed it at top right to allow oxygenation as I thought clowns were at the top their faces faced up at the water during the night.. this is my 2nd pair of clown fish, first ones had lot of white spots before they passed I allowed 2 weeks before getting these guys, they were very healthy always looking for feed.. only that they didn’t go near the anemone for some reason and this strange behaviour at night they go to the top of the tank and stay there till morning, usually all around the tank in the morning.

Attachments

• D77E673F-315F-48A2-B97D-39D4A2E27115.jpeg
    D77E673F-315F-48A2-B97D-39D4A2E27115.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure I’ll buy a master test kit soon

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1st batch lived for 3 days, second ones fine for 2 weeks and suddenly both clowns were found dead on the sand bed next to each other..

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I don’t intend to spend on coral ATM
Anemones have a lot of the same needs as far as parameters and lighting go. They require stable parameters and good lighting to survive. Recommend at least nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity tests.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank at 10-15 nitrate, .03 phosphate, 8.5 alk and lighting around 200 par. Had nems thriving for years now and much more color than when I purchased them.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones have a lot of the same needs as far as parameters and lighting go. They require stable parameters and good lighting to survive. Recommend at least nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity tests.
Ok sure noted thanks a lot

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first ones had lot of white spots before they passed
Hard to say without some pictures, but could be ich, limpho, velvet, or maybe even brook. two weeks is not enough time for most parasites to die off in a fish tank, so you could see this come back again.
Do some research on these and see if any of the photos look like what you saw on your fish. This will help you to understand what is happening and how to treat the problem. If you should see spots appear again, be sure to get some pictures under white lights so we can help you identify the problem.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say without some pictures, but could be ich, limpho, velvet, or maybe even brook. two weeks is not enough time for most parasites to die off in a fish tank, so you could see this come back again.
Do some research on these and see if any of the photos look like what you saw on your fish. This will help you to understand what is happening and how to treat the problem. If you should see spots appear again, be sure to get some pictures under white lights so we can help you identify the problem.
First fishes developed white spots exactly as to the one in this pic (from google) , second ones did not have them, like I said they only took off to the top of the tank during the night, one of the two fish had little redness near the gills since when I bought them but he swimmed normally. What concerns me is that both of them were dead suddenly overnight..

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fishes developed white spots exactly as to the one in this pic (from google) , second ones did not have them, like I said they only took off to the top of the tank during the night, one of the two fish had little redness near the gills since when I bought them but he swimmed normally. What concerns me is that both of them were dead suddenly overnight..

Attachments

• 4AB2F372-7014-40CD-A5E7-B83ABA4FE17D.jpeg
    4AB2F372-7014-40CD-A5E7-B83ABA4FE17D.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 40

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d wait 45 days before trying again to ensure any parasites that are in the tank now die off. Also try to get the next pair from a different vendor. Live Aquaria sells ORA captive bred clowns and they are high quality compared to the ones most stores are selling these days from Sea and Reef that are often in poor health and have deformities.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d wait 45 days before trying again to ensure any parasites that are in the tank now die off. Also try to get the next pair from a different vendor. Live Aquaria sells ORA captive bred clowns and they are high quality compared to the ones most stores are selling these days from Sea and Reef that are often in poor health and have deformities.
Sure I’ll wait for 45 days, thanks

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That photo kind of looks like Brookynella which is very common in Clownfish. It can kill fish fast:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back