Anemone Magnifica Heteractis for ocellaris clown

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. my tank is 5 months old, and is doing quiet well. I want to get a anemone for my ocellaris clownfish pair. I really like the anemone ritteri and have read about it a lot. now the question is;

would it be dumb to get an ritteri, because it requires so much work?

is there any similar anemones (not the bta pls)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't jump right into mags with a new tank. BTA or RFA

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part is finding a healthy specimen. They're not uncommon, but if you do find one you'll probably need to quarantine it, most likely with an antibiotic treatment,. Once healthy, they're almost bullet-proof, assuming you give it the proper environment--clean water in a high flow area, lots of lighting, and a flat rock for it to perch on top.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part is finding a healthy specimen. They're not uncommon, but if you do find one you'll probably need to quarantine it, most likely with an antibiotic treatment,. Once healthy, they're almost bullet-proof, assuming you give it the proper environment--clean water in a high flow area, lots of lighting, and a flat rock for it to perch on top.
would it be dumb to get one if I started my tank in June with live rock? I have not had any other anemones but my parameters are perfect and I have plenty of Coraline algae... my lights are also good enough, and I have random flow setting on my wave maker...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be dumb to get one if I started my tank in June with live rock? I have not had any other anemones but my parameters are perfect and I have plenty of Coraline algae... my lights are also good enough, and I have random flow setting on my wave maker...
I don't think dumb is the word I would use. Your tank is right at the time when an anemone could work. For new reefers it's easier to just say closer to a year old. If you started with established live rock, that changes the time-line.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny that you mentioned coralline, because I typically say that it's fine to add anemones after you have a decent amount of coralline growth since it usually means that the cycling period is done and the tank is relatively stable.

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ritteri needs a lot of light and a ton of flow. Sometimes you can find them at petco for about 35 bucks which isn’t a huge loss monetarily. I would try a BTA before doing a Ritteri. I had a Ritteri as my first nem and well he took a walk into the power head. A sad but learning experience for me. I only have BTA’s.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a ritteri at 4 months with my tank, the trick is to find a healthy specimen. it didnt need cipro treatment and it started hosting my clowns within a few days.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh... hard pass id say. Mags are not the easiest nems to keep plus they grow really large and require excellent water to stay healthy long term....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back