anemone on the move

tanksman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to find my bubble tip anemone moving around and I'm curious if it can do any damage to any of my corals

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries he will be fine. They like to move untill they find there happy spot.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that your powerheads (( if you have any )) are covered, secondly, might be good to figure out why the anemone is moving.
They just don't randomly move -- of course that doesn't mean that we can always figure it out.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can damage the areas of any coral it's tentacles make contact with but it will take time to completely kill a healthy coral and most healthy coral will recover from the damage. Anything near where it stops has to be moved though. In my experience anemones don't like to battle with euphilia coral though, like hammers and torches. Mine always do everything in their power to not touch them, but will sting acros, montis, acans, chalices, favias, and zoas.

OP
OP
T

tanksman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would be some of the reasons it would move I thought maybe it had something to do with water flow because where is stopped is kind of in a dead spot but then again it picked up and moved again today,, I don't know why it's moving around the funny thing is it moved back to its original spot

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some (( but not all )) of the reasons an anemone would move...

Change in flow (( even had an S. haddoni move after cleaning a powerhead {and putting it back in the same spot}, because the clean powerhead had slightly more flow ))
Change in light --- either bulbs getting old, or putting in new bulbs.
Other inverts bothering it.
Clowns bothering it --- used to have a pair of Clarkiis that would fan away the sand from thier S. haddoni, it would move.
Drastic change in water parameters.

Nickel9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one move about 6" from it's original spot for a few days then move back. Fast forward 2 days and it split, one stayed in the original spot and the other moved to the second spot as if it had found a good home for the clone before splitting

Sent from cloud 9

Back