Anemones are very fragile. And also immortal?

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my first anemone, a Sherman Rose, a month ago. Just read this:

"Some sea anemones are very long lived and have been known to reach 60-80 years. Because anemones are able to clone themselves they do not age and therefore have the potential to live indefinitely in the absence of predators or disease."

So does anyone have an ancient anemone that's been passed from generation to generation? OR are we all just keeping the same anemone?

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like nems are Lord of the Rings elves. They can’t be killed by old age, but one big mistake and... it’s off to Valinor.
LOL Agreed

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you’ve spent time on a reef it’s difficult to comprehend what an incredible and pristine and stable ecosystem that is. That’s the environment they come from, but then we try to shove them into a glass box and it doesn’t often work out well. Actually it’s 100% mortality rate...Once confined to the glass box it might take a few days to a few years to maybe even a few decades if the aquarist is very stable.

I would love to be able to breed Carpet anemones so that the lifecycle doesn’t stop whenever they enter our aquariums. Does anyone have any information about this?

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think that a healthy disease free nem is a lot more robust then people give credit. The real problem is the poor quality of specimens being sold in LFS.

Back