Anemones both closed for a couple days, trying to figure out why. Results included

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So both of my BTA Anemones have been healthy and in the same spot for over a year, the only thing that’s changed in the tank recently is added 2 clowns out of quarantine. Not many other corals, a few zoos and an acan. For the past 2-3 days both anemones have been completely closed, still attached to the rock and in the same spot. One slightly extended yesterday, but that’s it. It’s a 35 gallon cube, 10g sump. I’ve changed out 10 gallons water over the past 2 days.

Parameters
78 degrees
1.024 salinity
Nitrites and nitrate 0
PO4 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.0
Alkalinity 5 (performed 2x)

Reef crystals salt

I’ve been trying to raise nutrients lately, shortened fuge lighting and removed 50% of the chaeto.

The only thing that sticks out is the alk. Could this be the issue?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the test kit be expired? Can you mix up a batch of fresh saltwater and test that to see if the kit is working as intended? Wouldn't hurt to do a water change either.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the test kit be expired? Can you mix up a batch of fresh saltwater and test that to see if the kit is working as intended? Wouldn't hurt to do a water change either.

Yeah I will try testing fresh mixed water. I’ve changed 10g already over the past day. Thanks

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, it turns out the test was expired in January. I tested fresh mixed water as well with the same reading of five or six. I will go to the local store today to test there and then go from there I guess.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back