Anenome kind and is it healthy

stephanie.m.haskill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for reading and replying, we were just sold our friends tank since he is upgrading and we are beginners. The tank however is established and is about 4yrs old.
We have a sea anemone and I'm just trying to figure out what kind it is and if its healthy since I'm told it's a red bubble tip but it doesnt have long wavy arms they are always short and stubby. (Sorry I don't know the lingo yet) any help would be appreciated. Thanks
9ed05fed4a1863d969cffeaddcd9bb92.jpg
17853ab697f1d533983c1e7e350dc846.jpg
83a446a24029708c7b35b7e7257e105c.jpg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'm not very familiar with anemones, but @Amoo is. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to help with the ID. That does not look like a bubble-tip to me though. The wide oral disc and the stubby look make me think it is another variety.

For future reference, there is a dedicated forum just to talk about anemones. You don't need to post just in the forum for where you live :)

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

It looks like a RBTA. It doesn’t look healthy or is about to regurgitate to get rid of waste. If the are not happy they will let your know, by not looking very good or moving from one spot to another to find it’s happy place. Anemones will change their appearance from time to time going from fully open to a closed ball. Tentacles may be long and tapered or short and fat and also with the bubble tip appearance that gets them their name.
They need moderate to intense lighting, and flow combined with good water quality to survive. Plus feeding them a couple times a week with Clam, Squid or shrimp will help.
Anemones are not very easy to maintain, especially as a novice in the hobby. You need to ensure that it is healthy from the time you see it at the pet shop, because many come in sick or injured and even dead.

OP
OP
S

stephanie.m.haskill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We got the tank with everything In it from a close friend and he has had the anemone for about 2yrs now. He said when he first got it that it was a lot bigger but when he moved he got stuck between two other corals and wasn't happy, when we moved him to our place about a month ago we broke the live rock free from between the corals that it was stuck between. It has been eating but I'm sure it just isn't happy quite yet. Is there a safe way to get it to a better spot where there is more light cause right now it gets some but not as much as I would like since it is on the side or a rock not the top.

OP
OP
S

stephanie.m.haskill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to just note this was this am when the light has been off all night, don't know if that matters too much but I notice most of the coral we have inverts throughout the night and when the light comes on they get full and start dancing

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def a bubble tip and doesnt look horrible not happy but not bad. Can you flip the rock hes on to give him more light? If not id let him be if he doesnt like it he will move.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lighting is good I wouldn't feed it. They tend to split more if feed. RBTA do not split as much as rainbows. BTA's are easy to care for in an established tank. They will move to find a happy spot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back