Anenome splits into 3 around a rock anemone. Ok?

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My Bubble Tip anenome #1 split into two yesterday. Then today the newly split anemone #2 split again to add a third #3! The third one is really tiny, it has maybe three tentacles. All of this is happening around a rock anenome.

Question 1- Anything to do with all this anenomes? Any danger i should be aware of?

Question 2- Do bubble anemone and rock anenomes sting eachother?

Anything else I should know or be careful about?

Thank!

IMG_2191.jpg IMG_2192.jpg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty exciting! Depends on what you would like to do with them. You could sell the extra anemones to other reefers generally for a good price 65-70$. I'm not entirely sure about other species of nem's compatibility wise but from my experience I would say that they will harm each other and they should best be kept to themselves.

Nigel

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will most likely harm each other if they are fighting for the same space. I would watch them and see if they are actually touching each other, if they are not touching each other everything is fine. If you don't want all the other nems you could always sell them to someone on here, or to your lfs.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave them. Anemones can move and know more about their own compatibility than you do. If they’re not happy they will move. If you move them mechanically you’ll more than likely damage them. Consider yourself an accomplished anemone keeper with the splitting.

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super nice! There is one video in YouTube that explains what's behind splitting. Seems that there are two reasons, a) the anemone is very happy and wants to reproduce, c) the conditions are very bad and wants that it's clone can move to another area with better conditions in order to keep the specie alive, watch it it's very informative. In my case, my anemone split too after the water parameters were very bad due to bad maintenance, my tank is better now and I haven't seen any split :( . Don't move it don't touch them let them be for few weeks until they heal completely, give them food either shrimps or reef roids so they get stronger. Then you can removed them. Let me alone for few days. Here is a photo of mines

Attachments

• FF2F89A8-E4CA-447C-8CA8-4C4EB46A1B3E.png
    FF2F89A8-E4CA-447C-8CA8-4C4EB46A1B3E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 6E4091ED-8C28-49DB-9F3A-D404D620DE76.png
    6E4091ED-8C28-49DB-9F3A-D404D620DE76.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you're going for an anemone tank. I would definitely sell/trade some (once its healed), in the right environment, they can multiply quickly and sting nearby corals.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back