Anenome

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im pretty new to reef keeping so im not really sure what to do. I just got an anenome for my tank and it is not sitting anywhere and is often sideways or upsidedown its only been a few hours so maybe im jumping the gun but i just want to make sure everything is ok.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that an anemone should not be added to an aquarium less than 6 months old.
Personally, I don't add anemones to tanks until they've been running stabily for the better part of a year or more. Most anemones are very sensitive creatures.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spent several doing laps around the rocks. Day 1: Placed in an ideal spot in the tank. Proceeds to drag its carcass around a rock into a cave. Day 2: Emerges from the cave, then does a loop to plant itself upside down under a rock ledge. Day 3: Decides the cave is not for it, then manages to once again drag itself (with great effort) through these tiny openings to plant itself back where I originally placed it. Day 4: Anemone has decided that I actually know what I'm doing and it's finally staying put.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In many cases, it will be Acclimation, too much or too little lighting and strong water flow.
If this is a new tank- Waiting would have been beneficial.
What test kits are you using and what is:
Ammonia
nitrate
Phosphate
ph
salinity
Water temp

OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many cases, it will be Acclimation, too much or too little lighting and strong water flow.
If this is a new tank- Waiting would have been beneficial.
What test kits are you using and what is:
Ammonia
nitrate
Phosphate
ph
salinity
Water temp
I have plenty of test kits for all that stuff but a lot of you guys are saying that i shouldnt have gotten it this early

OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spent several doing laps around the rocks. Day 1: Placed in an ideal spot in the tank. Proceeds to drag its carcass around a rock into a cave. Day 2: Emerges from the cave, then does a loop to plant itself upside down under a rock ledge. Day 3: Decides the cave is not for it, then manages to once again drag itself (with great effort) through these tiny openings to plant itself back where I originally placed it. Day 4: Anemone has decided that I actually know what I'm doing and it's finally staying put.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of test kits for all that stuff but a lot of you guys are saying that i shouldnt have gotten it this early
Yeah 3.5 months is not enough for the anemone. Its probably being stressed by the unstable conditions.

OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to tell us what your parameters, lighting, flow, age of the tank.
Age of the tank is roughly 3.5 months i have my light currently set for blue light from 7-9am and 6-7pm with white light inbetween i just turned my pumps off because i read that they can get stuck in the intake and die

OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 28

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was properly acclimated but judging by these replies i put it in too soon. Ive only had my tank for about 3.5 months
Give it time. Anemones are sensitive, and pout or flourish. Give it time, they take a lot of patience sometimes. I added one very early and it did really, really well until I changed my lights (oops...). I am still waiting for it to recover, though it is taking 2 months, it's getting there.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of the tank is roughly 3.5 months i have my light currently set for blue light from 7-9am and 6-7pm with white light inbetween i just turned my pumps off because i read that they can get stuck in the intake and die
It will move a lot just to find the perfect place to dock, but given the age of the tank it might not settle down. You need to pay close attention. Oh and cover the pumps.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. Anemones are sensitive, and pout or flourish. Give it time, they take a lot of patience sometimes. I added one very early and it did really, really well until I changed my lights (oops...). I am still waiting for it to recover, though it is taking 2 months, it's getting there.
don't change things... just provide some flow in the tank (cover any pumps) a good light, steady parameters and hopefully it will find its way

Back