Anenome

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think i should try and return it tomorrow or wait it out
At this point the return process will likely stress it more than it currently is. If you're parameters are good then it's certainly not impossible that it may come around. Just don't add any more until the tank matures.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think i should try and return it tomorrow or wait it out
I wanna say yes and encourage you to further mature the tank and focus on filtration as you have basic mechanical filtration. Consider and hang on skimmer such as reef octopus HOB or Ice cap K-3 units. Anemones require certain tank conditions including lighting, water flow and oxygen levels in order to thrive.
Though specific tank requirements will vary from one species of anemone to another, all species have several general requirements in common. The first is that the water quality of the tank should be very high – the water needs to be clean and free from accumulated debris. Anemones require high levels of dissolved oxygen and a stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3. The ideal temperature range for anemones is between 76 and 78°F and the salinity should remain at a stable specific gravity between 1.024 and 1.026. Levels of phosphate, ammonia and nitrite should be as close to 0 as possible and nitrate should be no more than 2 ppm.
One of the most dangerous mistakes you can make in adding an anemone to your tank is to do so before the tank has matured properly.
While it may only take a few weeks for a tank to cycle – that is, for the nitrogen cycle to become established, it takes longer for a tank to become mature. Only after a tank has been running for 12 months or more can it be considered “matured” in that it is less prone to changes in water parameters and the tank inhabitants have adapted to the tank environment. Anemones generally do not handle changes in water conditions well, so they need to be added to a very stable tank environment.

OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna say yes and encourage you to further mature the tank and focus on filtration as you have basic mechanical filtration. Consider and hang on skimmer such as reef octopus HOB or Ice cap K-3 units. Anemones require certain tank conditions including lighting, water flow and oxygen levels in order to thrive.
Though specific tank requirements will vary from one species of anemone to another, all species have several general requirements in common. The first is that the water quality of the tank should be very high – the water needs to be clean and free from accumulated debris. Anemones require high levels of dissolved oxygen and a stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3. The ideal temperature range for anemones is between 76 and 78°F and the salinity should remain at a stable specific gravity between 1.024 and 1.026. Levels of phosphate, ammonia and nitrite should be as close to 0 as possible and nitrate should be no more than 2 ppm.
One of the most dangerous mistakes you can make in adding an anemone to your tank is to do so before the tank has matured properly.
While it may only take a few weeks for a tank to cycle – that is, for the nitrogen cycle to become established, it takes longer for a tank to become mature. Only after a tank has been running for 12 months or more can it be considered “matured” in that it is less prone to changes in water parameters and the tank inhabitants have adapted to the tank environment. Anemones generally do not handle changes in water conditions well, so they need to be added to a very stable tank environment.
Definetely looking into more eqipment just gotta get some more money. Im still in highschool making minimum wage

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definetely looking into more eqipment just gotta get some more money. Im still in highschool making minimum wage
We've all been there. Just do yourself a favor and research the animals you wish to add in greater detail from now on before adding them to the tank. There's alot of knowledge on this forum at your disposal. Best of luck.

OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my clownfish keep budging into the side of the anenome does this mean they are trying to host it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
J

jakedel2802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: unfourtanetely the anenome did die. He released way too much zooxanthellae and when i came home he was practically falling apart. Luckily i had him in a quarantine tank so my clowns werent hurt. I was reading some stuff online about something called vinegar dosing and im curious as to what that is and what could be the benefits for my tank?

Back