Anenome

summersd95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m almost positive my anenome is dead I’m just coming here for confirmation. It hasn’t moved, or went inside itself in a few weeks, it’s mouth is pretty much inverted and there’s a milky hue in my tank, is my anenome dead? Its foot is also completely detached from the rock. My father in law poured salt into the tank a lot of Salt landed on this anenome and now it’s dead…

IMG_0160.jpeg IMG_0158.jpeg

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not dead, not even close. It’s quite stressed with its siphonglyphs (mouth parts) exposed but not dead at all. A detached foot is also a sign of stress, I would make sure it has a decent current (which will be hard with its foot unattached) that doesn’t blow it around the tank and you should be fine.

Dead would be a flat (as in completely) with no inflation to any of its body parts.

coralconor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mix salt water directly in the tank…… Did he do this on purpose ? Please give more information

OP
OP
S

summersd95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not dead, not even close. It’s quite stressed with its siphonglyphs (mouth parts) exposed but not dead at all. A detached foot is also a sign of stress, I would make sure it has a decent current (which will be hard with its foot unattached) that doesn’t blow it around the tank and you should be fine.

Dead would be a flat (as in completely) with no inflation to any of its body parts.
Okay thank you so much, I do have a nice current fan in there, but with this size tank I’m not sure if it gets to him, should I have more than 1 current fan?

OP
OP
S

summersd95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is he pouring salt directly into the display tank?
We had the salt at 1.023 and he wanted to get it up to 1.025-1.026 for a reef tank and didn’t read anything at all before doing so and dumped salt directly into the tank. Which was a disaster.

OP
OP
S

summersd95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mix salt water directly in the tank…… Did he do this on purpose ? Please give more information
We had the salt at 1.023 and he wanted to get it up to 1.025-1.026 for a reef tank and didn’t read anything at all before doing so and dumped salt directly into the tank. Which was a disaster. What would be the best way to get the salt up?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the salt at 1.023 and he wanted to get it up to 1.025-1.026 for a reef tank and didn’t read anything at all before doing so and dumped salt directly into the tank. Which was a disaster.
Is this your tank or his? If it's his not much you can do but sit back with some popcorn and watch the show.
If it's yours I would politely ask him to let you take care of the tank and he can sit back and watch ;)
No way you should pour salt directly into a display. What if you put in too much? Or it falls on your nem or coral. There ussualy isn't even enough flow in a display to dissolve the salt properly.
Not to be mean but perhaps you should step back and do some more research and slow down. You can't change what has already happened but you have a certain amount of control over the future and knowldege and experience will make that easier.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To increase salinity as mentioned above either add salt water mixed to 1.026 ( proper salinity ) and replace evaporated water

Or gradually over time do 10%-20% water changes with slightly higher salinity
Never add salt directly to a tank

And always be sure the salt is dissolved before adding

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back