Angel Fish Blindness

stuart Kemshead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience with angel fish going blind.

I have a flame angel that I am almost certain is blind. There no other symptom of disease. He will hide under cover all day, won't eat and generally behaves as he is blind. He runs into rocks often and does not notice anyone making movements infront of tank.

Thx

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no yes I have had fish that got sick and were blinded but are you sure can you catch him? I not sure but I believe he is sick

OP
OP
S

stuart Kemshead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated with prazi pro and antibacterial. There are no outward signs of disease. No white poop, no sores, no red patches, no cloudy eyes, noe flashing etc etc. He looks perfectly healthy except he tend to drift into rocks and hides in rock and under filters etc.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It more sounds like he's very weak. How long have you had him and has he never eaten since getting him?

OP
OP
S

stuart Kemshead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It more sounds like he's very weak. How long have you had him and has he never eaten since getting him?
I have had this fish for almost 3 years. He has always been a active fish and a good eater.

I had to move him from the main tank as there was friction with a venustus angel fish. He is now in a 40 Gallon tank with 2 mature clown fish. He was on his own for a moth before the clowns were added and he was eating as per normal and swimming actively. I don't believe there is conflict sufficient enough to cause this issue since the clowns stick to their pot in the corner.

He simply just stopped eating and confined himself to the rocks.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago were the clownfish added and were they QT'd? Have you seen any white stringy poop?

OP
OP
S

stuart Kemshead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago were the clownfish added and were they QT'd? Have you seen any white stringy poop?
The clowns were in their own tank for over 3 months with no sign of disease. I have not seen any stringy poop by angel or clowns. I have seen white stringy poop from venustus angel in main tank and have treated a few times with prazipro. I made a typo earlier staing i treated with antibacterial, when I meant antibiotic.

I suspect there could be some transference between tanks but i just dont know what the issue is.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns were in their own tank for over 3 months with no sign of disease. I have not seen any stringy poop by angel or clowns. I have seen white stringy poop from venustus angel in main tank and have treated a few times with prazipro. I made a typo earlier staing i treated with antibacterial, when I meant antibiotic.

I suspect there could be some transference between tanks but i just dont know what the issue is.

The white stringy poop from the angel indicates intestinal worms. You'll want to feed metroplex + focus in it's food for a couple weeks to help clear that up. The other fish are able to get these worms by eating an infected fish's poop.... which they do constantly as gross as that sounds, so everybody should eat the metroplex.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back