Angela's Dream Tank (for now lol)

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today I received my 300g system (220g + 80g sump). I'm one happy girl! I will finally get to amalgamate all my little tanks into one gloriously large one. I would have gone even bigger, if I could have, but this took 4 strong men and removing all the railings to get it in place. Any bigger and it would have been a no-go.

It won't be up and running for a while, but I figured I'd document it as it progresses... and I may need a little help from you folks along the way!

I can picture my pair of crosshatch triggers swimming around in it now. So exciting!

20170629_204057.jpg
20170629_204440.jpg

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is one good looking set up. Keep us posted with pictures with your dream build. Congratulations

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very jealous!!! Is that a Marineland corner-flo?

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. Good eye! I was going to go custom, but decided not to for a few reasons. I couldn't go any wider than the standard sized tank given the location it was going in, nor would I have been able to benefit from a Peninsula style, so it didn't make sense from a financial standpoint for slightly nicer glass and nothing else... not to mention that I got a HUGE discount because of their points program, and ended up getting $760 back in points, which I used to purchase a huge skimmer.

I also purchased an 80g frag tank to use as the sump and am contemplating how best to configure it. If you check out my post on DIY sumps, I outline my dilemma and the thought I'd come up with.

Can't wait to see my fish in their new home. They will be so much happier. Makes the 75g and 90g tanks look so small, even though they are good sized tanks in their own right.

I'll have difficulty maintaining it, since I'm short, but thankfully I have a tall husband and a soon-to-be deep sand bed that will make things a bit easier [emoji3]

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. Good eye! I was going to go custom, but decided not to for a few reasons. I couldn't go any wider than the standard sized tank given the location it was going in, nor would I have been able to benefit from a Peninsula style, so it didn't make sense from a financial standpoint for slightly nicer glass and nothing else... not to mention that I got a HUGE discount because of their points program, and ended up getting $760 back in points, which I used to purchase a huge skimmer.

I also purchased an 80g frag tank to use as the sump and am contemplating how best to configure it. If you check out my post on DIY sumps, I outline my dilemma and the thought I'd come up with.

Can't wait to see my fish in their new home. They will be so much happier. Makes the 75g and 90g tanks look so small, even though they are good sized tanks in their own right.

I'll have difficulty maintaining it, since I'm short, but thankfully I have a tall husband and a soon-to-be deep sand bed that will make things a bit easier [emoji3]
How does their reward system work? This is years off, but I've been eyeing their deep dimension tanks for quite a while and any sort of discount/rewards would be the cherry on top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Big Al's store near you? I purchased the tanks and all my supplies during their 5x the points event, and earned $760 back in points. Since it's applied right away, I was able to use the points to buy my skimmer. It was a pretty sweet deal. I can't say that their customer service has been top notch (though some staff have been very helpful) but for that price, who cares. I buy my fish elsewhere ( we have two great hobby shops in the city) but I buy all my supplies at big Al's. If you buy supplies on wed's, you get 3 times the points well, so a good day to pick up your standard goods.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Big Al's store near you? I purchased the tanks and all my supplies during their 5x the points event, and earned $760 back in points. Since it's applied right away, I was able to use the points to buy my skimmer. It was a pretty sweet deal. I can't say that their customer service has been top notch (though some staff have been very helpful) but for that price, who cares. I buy my fish elsewhere ( we have two great hobby shops in the city) but I buy all my supplies at big Al's. If you buy supplies on wed's, you get 3 times the points well, so a good day to pick up your standard goods.
Ah! Ok, I thought you meant through Marineland. I unfortunately do not have a Big Al's, but that's awesome for you!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats!

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some good news and some bad news. I'll start with the bad first. I had trotted off to the hardware store last night to pick out a paint for the back and had found a nice black colour with a hint of purple undertone which I thought would look great. I put on 3 coats before it was opaque, and it turned out really nice.... Until this morning, when I discovered that it had peeled in a few spots, in a spider web type pattern. Scraped it off and tried to patch it, and then other areas did the same. Finally gave up and spent 2 hours scraping it all off. I'll start again when I have the patience.

Not sure if it will do the same thing again - any ideas on what might have happened????

Now on to the good news :) my husband decided that rather than try to work with a sump under the stand, I should have a dedicated fish room. Yay [emoji16]. It will be so much easier to maintain and maybe I'll be able to set up an automatic water changing station. He already started working on it today for me. He's a very good man, especially for someone who isn't all that keen on the hobby! I'm so excited. We unfortunately have to move the aquarium again, but not too far so we'll be able to manage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back