Angelfish Spots now after injury earlier

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently posted about an injury my angelfish showed after I added a melanus wrasse, but she has begun showing symptoms of ich? As soon as the symptoms showed the wrasse has disappeared in my tank, and I am trying to figure out A. Should I remove all fish and treat them in copper after a freshwater dip. B. Remove only the angel and follow the 30 day protocol or C. A + look for the wrasse. I have set up a QT tank I put in nitrifying bacteria, and got everything set up.

Since adding the wrasse: My sleeper gobi is gone, my angelfish looks like this, and the wrasse is now missing. It could all be a coincidence, but I don't think so. The only fish remaining healthy in appearance are my two clownfish.

I feel like an idiot. I trusted visual inspections of the fish and thought hey everything is okay. It wasn't.
IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 white spots look oddly shaped for ich. However, the fish's right side fin looks damaged, the melanurus did that? How long ago? I'd look for the wrasse, and then give all the fish a full quarantine with 30 days coppers and 2 weeks or prazipro, then leave your tank fallow of fish for 45 to 75 days.

Jay

Edit: I just saw the chin lesion - that looks serious. You might need to treat with copper and an antibiotic to start with.

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse showed up this morning. No spots no lethargy. The coral beauty is attacking everyone. I thought the wrasse was the problem but he just runs from her.

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have angel in QT now went through freshwater bath for five minutes. One issue I have currently is everytime I test copper it seems like it's diluting? I don't understand. Cupramine 20 drops (1ml) per 10.5 gallons what am I missing..?

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 white spots look oddly shaped for ich. However, the fish's right side fin looks damaged, the melanurus did that? How long ago? I'd look for the wrasse, and then give all the fish a full quarantine with 30 days coppers and 2 weeks or prazipro, then leave your tank fallow of fish for 45 to 75 days.

Jay

Edit: I just saw the chin lesion - that looks serious. You might need to treat with copper and an antibiotic to start with.
I don't think the wrasse did it. She attempted to jump ship initially moving aquariums. I need to take all fish out correct? What sand can I use for the wrasse?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have angel in QT now went through freshwater bath for five minutes. One issue I have currently is everytime I test copper it seems like it's diluting? I don't understand. Cupramine 20 drops (1ml) per 10.5 gallons what am I missing..?
That amount of Cupramine is a half dose, double that will get you in range of a full dose. If you have carbonates in the tank - rock or coral sand, that is going to absorb some of the copper, requiring you to test and redose frequently.
For sand for the wrasse, people will use non-coral sand, rinsed well and placed in a tray in the WT.
Jay

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly she passed shortly after the 12th. It ended up being a fungal infection that spread rapidly. I tried treating with everything and she just ended up in the worst state. I will never purchase another angelfish. Me and the wife buried her in the yard in honor of how hard she fought.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly she passed shortly after the 12th. It ended up being a fungal infection that spread rapidly. I tried treating with everything and she just ended up in the worst state. I will never purchase another angelfish. Me and the wife buried her in the yard in honor of how hard she fought.

Fungal infections are rare in marine fish, I've only seen one like this in recent memory. However, they can be very aggressive infections - sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungal infections are rare in marine fish, I've only seen one like this in recent memory. However, they can be very aggressive infections - sorry.

Jay
Treating her with copper it began looking like cauliflower about day 3 The ich was gone very quickly and no other fish showed any issues at all. After it got a lot worse I went and bought every anti fungal/anti bacterial and antibiotic down to actually getting fluconizal. I started with general cure and the first couple days it looked better, but then out of nowhere was covered in white dots. her chin became completely covered in a white/gray beard and she stopped eating completely on day 8ish. on the 12th she was on her side had a cottonball on her face. I could no longer let her suffer and had to do the only thing I could to help her.

After she passed I inspected what I thought was an injury and it was a hole under a white/grey cotton film that had gone through her jaw into what looked like her nose area. I will never own another angel fish. A goby that likely met a dogs belly, or was crushed under a rock because I didn't do things right it is on me. Watching an animal suffer and trying to do all I can and still failing was heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating her with copper it began looking like cauliflower about day 3 The ich was gone very quickly and no other fish showed any issues at all. After it got a lot worse I went and bought every anti fungal/anti bacterial and antibiotic down to actually getting fluconizal. I started with general cure and the first couple days it looked better, but then out of nowhere was covered in white dots. her chin became completely covered in a white/gray beard and she stopped eating completely on day 8ish. on the 12th she was on her side had a cottonball on her face. I could no longer let her suffer and had to do the only thing I could to help her.

After she passed I inspected what I thought was an injury and it was a hole under a white/grey cotton film that had gone through her jaw into what looked like her nose area. I will never own another angel fish. A goby that likely met a dogs belly, or was crushed under a rock because I didn't do things right it is on me. Watching an animal suffer and trying to do all I can and still failing was heartbreaking.
Sorry - I’ve had limited success treating external fungal infections (identified through a microscope) with daily 75 ppm formalin dips . Limited….because I’ve only seen this a couple of times.
Jay

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I’ve had limited success treating external fungal infections (identified through a microscope) with daily 75 ppm formalin dips . Limited….because I’ve only seen this a couple of times.
Jay
Literally my 3rd saltwater fish and I was so outgunned, Jay. I honestly don't even know if the fish had ich. I hope I never encounter it again. If I ever do what kind of dips?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally my 3rd saltwater fish and I was so outgunned, Jay. I honestly don't even know if the fish had ich. I hope I never encounter it again. If I ever do what kind of dips?
Formalin at 75 ppm, but it is tough to source that med. To calculate a dose you multiply 75 by the volume of the dip in gallons and divide that by 266. So; 75 ppm times 5 gallons divided by 266 equals 1.4 milliliters. In this case, the dip would be for one hour with good aeration. I know this does you no good now,but other people search the messages, so I want them to have something to work with…..
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back