Angelfish

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is taking down his tank and is wanting to sell some of his fish. One of them is a Watanabei Angel. Would it be ok add it to a 105 sps dominated tank with a powder blue tang in it?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll read/hear all over that "Genicanthus sp. angels are reef safe", which for the most part is true, but how much moreso than the others...?

One of our mods here, SaraB, had a Genicanthus go bonkers on some coral not long ago.

IME they're a good bet, better than most. In nature they feed out of the water column on plankton compared to other Pomacanthidae that feed mainly off of rocks, instantly making other genus more likely to pick at coral, if not eat them.

As mentioned in one other thread you started by someone else your tang will eventually goes nuts in a tank like that, in nature that species is known to patrol patches of reef of over 15' x 15' at lightning fast speeds.

If the angel is in good shape and eating well (how long has the other person had it?) it shouldn't be too hard to keep. I would still QT in order to get them used to your care and ensure it's pest free.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bellus pair which is in the same family (Genicanthus) as the Watanabei. As stunreefer mentioned, I had to replace the female after owning her for almost 3 years as she developed a taste for lps corals. This is not the norm for this family of angels.

I would imagine that your PBT will not be too excited to have a new fish in there with it. I would suggest using an acclimation box for a few days to let the tang get used to seeing the new fish in the display and getting over its aggression. I also have a large mirror that I place against the side of the tank once I release the new addition so that the other inhabitants can make themselves busy by beating up their own reflection for the day.

OP
OP
Checkitout

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advice. I guess I'll go ahead and buy him. I'm getting him for $75. He has had him for 3yrs now and eats well.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a large mirror that I place against the side of the tank once I release the new addition so that the other inhabitants can make themselves busy by beating up their own reflection for the day.
This is a great method to use while dealing with social acclimation with an aggressive fish in the tank! They could give a crap about the new addition (most times) when they see you're introducing a fish that looks exactly like them! ;)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it on the outside.

Depending how aggressive the existing fish is it may or may not attack it's reflection. An aggressive PBT likely would though, they're not fans of their own kind in aquariums.

There's lots of other things to do though, that's just one. For example, feed the tank well, turn the lights off, etc. prior to adding the new fish.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great method to use while dealing with social acclimation with an aggressive fish in the tank! They could give a crap about the new addition (most times) when they see you're introducing a fish that looks exactly like them! ;)

I've been using it for a year in the big tank and it works like a charm. A nice cheap 2x2 one from Walmart does the trick!

OP
OP
Checkitout

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my friend has a male and now he is uncertain if he is going to sell him to me. Here is my female I just bought.
_cfimg-719533343351385452.png

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you use an acclimation box. Your powder blue is going to want to rip that girl apart. My purple tang does not like any new additions, especially new angels. From what I've heard, powder blues are worse.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, you just have to be careful where you source them. Unfortunately many, many Genicanthus angels come in with collection related issues. Don't jump on one because it's a "good price". Of course, Divers Den where you got yours from is an execellent source, or other retailers who use similar procedures to acquire, acclimate and care for the fish while in their hands.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regardless of care difficulty, we should always be prepared to remove a fish that needs to be removed for any reason, just part of the hobby, ~"reef safe"~ is such a broken term. "Reef safe fish have eaten thousands of dollars worth of my coral.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angel?

Short answer is yes, if acclimated to captivity (find a healthy one that's eating very well), QT'd and adapted to you and captive life (along with treating if necessary), then socially acclimated in a box as mentioned with your watanabei chances are you should be OK. Regals are difficult to find healthy, eating, and in good shape. Many are imported, few make it. There's lots of info around on Pygoplites diacanthus, so get to readin'! :nerd:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't attempt the regal unless you have a well established QT, and are prepared to put lots of time and effort into keeping one.

Please take no offense to this, but you're moving oftly fast and changing directions quite frequently. I would sit back, relax, watch your reef and let it grow for a while, in which time you decide and research what other animals you would like to add and in what direction you want to take your reef.

OP
OP
Checkitout

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I dont take offense to it. I want to know for future reference; like if I can add one later on. I've been doing this hobby for a little while, 12 yrs, and know about corals more so than fish so thats why I'm asking. Plus I like to get others feedback on their knowledge.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back