Angels and Butterflies in The Reef Tank

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Question Pops from time to time by may reefers who want to have angels or butterflies in there tanks. And As I am in Love with most of the Angelfish and butterflies out there. I think This Thread will be a good reference for other members.

I am curious to know about other R2R members who are keeping Angels, butterflies or Both. or kept them in the past, And I like to know your experience with them in a reef tank.

Template
Tank size :
What Kind Of Corals: SPS,LPS,Soft,Clams and other invertebrates
Fish Name:
Reef Safe or Not
If not reef-safe, what did it eat?

and Photos of yours will be great

Last edited:
OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will Start with my Emperor Angel and Semilarvatus Butterflyfish

Tank size : 180 Gallons
What Kind Of Corals: 80% sps with few Lps including Acans , Goniopora, Blastos and Euphyllia. and few zoa and one clam

Fish Name: Emperor Angel
Reef Safe or Not : 90% safe
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? one Acan then it stopped, and nipping on Zoa occasionally with no harm done

Fish Name: Semilarvatus Butterflyfish
Reef Safe or Not : 85% safe
If not reef-safe, what did it eat? nipping rarely on few Acropora without eating anything

32767542172_8a8a8dd1ce_k.jpg

32937935932_53dd096f27_h.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an important topic!

These tall, graceful fish are iconic to the reef - that's where they're found, but sometimes it's because that's what they eat!

I'm currently keeping a coral beauty and a flame angelfish. I'd say the coral beauty is about as reef-safe as an angel can be - she nips randomly everywhere, but doesn't target corals and does no damage. The flame, on the other hand ... he kind of likes to beat up on things like acans and favias. Hasn't killed any yet, (several months) but does stress them.

~Bruce

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 angels in my 225 mixed reef. Most of them were raised from juveniles. I get a kick out of watching them mature.
Queen
Emperor
Majestic
Flame
Flame Back
The only one I have ever seen picking occasionally is the queen on some green nepthea. I don't have a clam but I do have scallops and they don't even look at them.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an important topic!

These tall, graceful fish are iconic to the reef - that's where they're found, but sometimes it's because that's what they eat!

I'm currently keeping a coral beauty and a flame angelfish. I'd say the coral beauty is about as reef-safe as an angel can be - she nips randomly everywhere, but doesn't target corals and does no damage. The flame, on the other hand ... he kind of likes to beat up on things like acans and favias. Hasn't killed any yet, (several months) but does stress them.

~Bruce

Thanks Bruce for your input on the topic, I a had similar experience with Coral Beauty 10 years ago. for Flame Angel never owned one but seem them in action they are a little mean.

I have 5 angels in my 225 mixed reef. Most of them were raised from juveniles. I get a kick out of watching them mature.
Queen
Emperor
Majestic
Flame
Flame Back
The only one I have ever seen picking occasionally is the queen on some green nepthea. I don't have a clam but I do have scallops and they don't even look at them.

Nice Fish Collection you have man !!!, are there any issues with all of them in 225 ? Maybe one important factors is they are brought together as juveniles? I have noticed the smaller you get the angles the more safe it turns out

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g with juvenile Emperor that's a model citizen.
My queen has mowed thru 3 types of birdsnest but all other SPS are left alone.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g with juvenile Emperor that's a model citizen.
My queen has mowed thru 3 types of birdsnest but all other SPS are left alone.

Beautiful, both fish are amazing, but have thought about any aggregation when both reach adult size.
Wish I can have a Queen Angel , it is so hard to get here in my region

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For butterflies, I had small experience with these in addition to Semilarvatus mentioned above

Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus)
Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)

These two were Reef safe fish and extra advantage they were eating aiptasia

On the other hand the following raccoons were not safe at all and eats everything

Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)
Red Sea Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon fasciatus) which you can fish it yourself in Saudi Arabia easily

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I have 6 butterflies and 3 angels in my 335g reef.
_MG_3367%20copy.jpg

_MG_4183%20copy.jpg

_MG_2670%20copy.jpg

_MG_2633%20copy.jpg

Nice Fish And Tank, Any nipping or coral eating issues?

Honestly , I am little shocked about the Bannerfish , I have seen one in reef tank and it was so destructive.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Fish And Tank, Any nipping or coral eating issues?

Honestly , I am little shocked about the Bannerfish , I have seen one in reef tank and it was so destructive.
He did eat my hammer coral. But other than that he has been fine

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, both fish are amazing, but have thought about any aggregation when both reach adult size.
Wish I can have a Queen Angel , it is so hard to get here in my region

Currently the don't even acknowledge each other. I also have a juv yellow bellow blue tang, powder blue and naso. I've seen many tanks with large angels and no issue.
be2bc733f484532299b78e776d0e7c77.jpg

bfd2ebb299447b9ad0285e1e5e102f89.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also decided I'd like a copperband in my 90g . Although it will probably the only large fish I will have in there .. definitely gonna try and get a juvenile one though .. ! Thanks everyone for your advice !! I will keep you posted when I have one !

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also decided I'd like a copperband in my 90g . Although it will probably the only large fish I will have in there .. definitely gonna try and get a juvenile one though .. ! Thanks everyone for your advice !! I will keep you posted when I have one !

I Think the copperband will do fine in a 90 but make sure it is eating mysis or eating any other food before getting it, this fish is hard to feed. Good luck with it and keep us updated

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back