Angels and Butterfly Reef: 750XXL

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find a great looking 750XXL V1 in excellent shape. So I will be taking down the 95g cube.
Tank is in the cycling process

Breakdown of equipment

Tank: Red Sea 750XXL V1 (modified using Red Sea upgrade kit to strengthen the stand)
Filtration: Bubble Magus Large Roller Mat, Reef Octopus 200SS (will be upgrading soon), Reef Octopus 4" waste collector
Lights: 2 x XR15 Pro Gen4, 2 x Xr15 Pro Gen 5
Sterilization: UV (tba)
Water Movement: 4 x MP40 (on the sides), 2 x Tunze 6015 (back wall)
Pumps: Vectra L2, Vectra S2 (for UV and roller mat)
Dosing: 2 x Neptune DOS, Avast Kalk Reactor
ATO: Tunze 3155, Leviathon 8g ATO resevoir
Testing: Neptune Trident
Controller: Apex, FMM
Feeder: Avast plank
Heater: Finnex 800w with Finnex controller

Corals: Mainly sps and some euphylia

Fish: This is a wish list

Majestic angel
Regal (yellow belly) angel
Blueface angel
False Personifer male (dream fish, but lets see)
Emperor (iffy, not sure)
Venustus Angel
Flame angel
Pyramid Butterfly
Copperband Butterfly
Longnose butterfly
Squareback anthias (1 male and maybe 4-5 female
Anthias smithvanizi (group of 6)
purple tang
Powder blue tang
hippo tang

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was able to find a great looking 750XXL V1 in excellent shape. So I will be taking down the 95g cube.
Tank is in the cycling process

Breakdown of equipment

Tank: Red Sea 750XXL V1 (modified using Red Sea upgrade kit to strengthen the stand)
Filtration: Bubble Magus Large Roller Mat, Reef Octopus 200SS (will be upgrading soon), Reef Octopus 4" waste collector
Lights: 2 x XR15 Pro Gen4, 2 x Xr15 Pro Gen 5
Sterilization: UV (tba)
Water Movement: 4 x MP40 (on the sides), 2 x Tunze 6015 (back wall)
Pumps: Vectra L2, Vectra S2 (for UV and roller mat)
Dosing: 2 x Neptune DOS, Avast Kalk Reactor
ATO: Tunze 3155, Leviathon 8g ATO resevoir
Testing: Neptune Trident
Controller: Apex, FMM
Feeder: Avast plank
Heater: Finnex 800w with Finnex controller

Corals: Mainly sps and some euphylia

Fish: This is a wish list

Majestic angel
Regal (yellow belly) angel
Blueface angel
False personifer male (dream fish, but lets see)
Emperor (iffy, not sure)
Venustus Angel
Flame angel
Pyramid Butterfly
Copperband Butterfly
Longnose butterfly
Squareback anthias (1 male and maybe 4-5 female
Anthias smithvanizi (group of 6)
purple tang
Powder blue tang
hippo tang
Seems like it might be too many big fish for a 160g aquarium. Granted mine is a predator tank so I really have to fight the nutrient load. But majestic, blue face and emperor for sure get big regal I’m not so sure of, but know they are expert only and can be difficult to get to feed if you aren’t willing to isolate and really give them attention. If it were me I would pick my two favorite large angels, determine their compatibility as angels can be difficult to keep together (I read majestics can be very aggressive) I just started a 3XL900 with a blue Koran, emperor, passar, and a Xanthrus. Some say to add them singly least aggressive to most aggressive. I took the multiple tang route and QT’d them all at the same time in different set ups then added them all at once to the DT.

Attachments

• 3171A5D8-65C2-4BE9-928B-5684B325F341.jpeg
    3171A5D8-65C2-4BE9-928B-5684B325F341.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 05DFC4D8-DA38-4415-8B20-CEB495A7639F.jpeg
    05DFC4D8-DA38-4415-8B20-CEB495A7639F.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 5D9A90AE-1A4F-44ED-A65A-F85E831C2DB1.jpeg
    5D9A90AE-1A4F-44ED-A65A-F85E831C2DB1.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 42
  • CD7AB2A1-F214-4A8C-BD29-8CDEA2AE1D57.jpeg
    CD7AB2A1-F214-4A8C-BD29-8CDEA2AE1D57.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 43

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are saying the tank was set up without the upgraded stand? Probably doesn’t have much life left, be careful!

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it might be too many big fish for a 160g aquarium. Granted mine is a predator tank so I really have to fight the nutrient load. But majestic, blue face and emperor for sure get big regal I’m not so sure of, but know they are expert only and can be difficult to get to feed if you aren’t willing to isolate and really give them attention. If it were me I would pick my two favorite large angels, determine their compatibility as angels can be difficult to keep together (I read majestics can be very aggressive) I just started a 3XL900 with a blue Koran, emperor, passar, and a Xanthrus. Some say to add them singly least aggressive to most aggressive. I took the multiple tang route and QT’d them all at the same time in different set ups then added them all at once to the DT.

Looks like I am lucky? I got my blue face and majestic. The majestic came in and ate immediately after struggling in QT. It took almost 2 days for it to turn around and start to eat. Now is eating like a champ.

Blue face came in and went through QT. Also didn't eat in QT and got quite skinny. Took a chance and added him to DT. Didn't eat the first day. Nibbled on second day. 3rd day was eating a few bits. After a week, is now coming out actively chasing down frozen brine soaked in selcon.

Majestic and blue face are the same size. Majestic gave him a hard time at first, but now they pretty much ignore each other.

Interesting note, the majestic has full adult coloration while the blue face is still juvie color. Both are the same size. The Majestic is fatter obviously because he has been actively eating for a month now.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are saying the tank was set up without the upgraded stand? Probably doesn’t have much life left, be careful!

It is the original Red Sea stand. I contacted Red Sea and they sent the modification kit.

This included adding blocks of wood on the inside of stand to help withstand the weight of the stand and take pressure off the screws.
The big part was adding a center brace. This I feel is the cause of the stands failures many unfortunately went through. The weight caused the wood to cave in and forcing a lot of pressure on the glass panel as all the weight is on the ends of the tank and not distributed throughout the tank. The back of the stand has the back cover that acted as a center brace. From what I seen in failures, it is the front panel that fails and lack of center brace on the front.

The guy that originally designed the stand obviously had limited experience wood work. I am a carpenter and there is no way I would passed that stand. The current stand I think is sound and stable.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like I am lucky? I got my blue face and majestic. The majestic came in and ate immediately after struggling in QT. It took almost 2 days for it to turn around and start to eat. Now is eating like a champ.

Blue face came in and went through QT. Also didn't eat in QT and got quite skinny. Took a chance and added him to DT. Didn't eat the first day. Nibbled on second day. 3rd day was eating a few bits. After a week, is now coming out actively chasing down frozen brine soaked in selcon.

Majestic and blue face are the same size. Majestic gave him a hard time at first, but now they pretty much ignore each other.

Interesting note, the majestic has full adult coloration while the blue face is still juvie color. Both are the same size. The Majestic is fatter obviously because he has been actively eating for a month now.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Been so busy with work. Haven’t had time for coral so all my coral kinda wasted away

Installed a lifeguard 90w UV

However, made a huge change today. Removed a giant piece of rock that overwhelmed the tank and placed in one of my creations

Fish list
Majestic Angel (died ich)
Scribbled (died overnight)
Venustus (never ate)
Blue line Angel (died ich)
Long nose butterfly (died ich)
4x fire fish (think died from old age. Had them for over a year)
Blonde naso (never made it out of quarantine)
Orange shoulder (died ich)

Current inhabitants
Emperor Angel juv 4”
Blue face Angel juv 4”
Asfur Angel adult 4”
Flame Angel
Pyramid butterfly
Copperband butterfly
Naso tang
Powder blue tang (in sump due to aggression)
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Borbonius anthias
Midas blenny
Carpenters wrasse
2x bangai cardinal
Pajama cardinal
Diamond goby
Storm clown

Still trying to get a healthy regal. Trying to acquire more pyramid butterflies and a long nose butterfly. Purple tang and gem tang. Think of getting a semilavertus butterfly and a moorish idol. Last but not least either a scribbled or a true personifier male.

Inverts
Two pistol shrimp
Reef lobster
2x tiger cucumber
2 fire shrimp
Skunk shrimp
Bunch of brittle star
Tons of hermits
Several pincushion urchins (do a great job cleaning rock of algae)

Fish gets fed a sheet of nori, and about 2 oz of frozen shrimp, brine shrimp, mysis, finely chopped garlic all soaked in selcon. Night feeding of pellets for inverts

Hoping to post some pics tomorrow

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Been so busy with work. Haven’t had time for coral so all my coral kinda wasted away

Installed a lifeguard 90w UV

However, made a huge change today. Removed a giant piece of rock that overwhelmed the tank and placed in one of my creations

Fish list
Majestic Angel (died ich)
Scribbled (died overnight)
Venustus (never ate)
Blue line Angel (died ich)
Long nose butterfly (died ich)
4x fire fish (think died from old age. Had them for over a year)
Blonde naso (never made it out of quarantine)
Orange shoulder (died ich)

Current inhabitants
Emperor Angel juv 4”
Blue face Angel juv 4”
Asfur Angel adult 4”
Flame Angel
Pyramid butterfly
Copperband butterfly
Naso tang
Powder blue tang (in sump due to aggression)
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Borbonius anthias
Midas blenny
Carpenters wrasse
2x bangai cardinal
Pajama cardinal
Diamond goby
Storm clown

Still trying to get a healthy regal. Trying to acquire more pyramid butterflies and a long nose butterfly. Purple tang and gem tang. Think of getting a semilavertus butterfly and a moorish idol. Last but not least either a scribbled or a true personifier male.

Inverts
Two pistol shrimp
Reef lobster
2x tiger cucumber
2 fire shrimp
Skunk shrimp
Bunch of brittle star
Tons of hermits
Several pincushion urchins (do a great job cleaning rock of algae)

Fish gets fed a sheet of nori, and about 2 oz of frozen shrimp, brine shrimp, mysis, finely chopped garlic all soaked in selcon. Night feeding of pellets for inverts

Hoping to post some pics tomorrow
So sorry about all of your losses

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are heavy losses. Do you QT?
You name it I done it. Ttm, hybrid ttm, 14day copper levels check using hanna. The only thing I haven’t done is just plain observation. I have done 3 fallow periods, two complete tear downs. Ich and velvet always comes back.

I hated to use the UV, but I think that is the only way.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You name it I done it. Ttm, hybrid ttm, 14day copper levels check using hanna. The only thing I haven’t done is just plain observation. I have done 3 fallow periods, two complete tear downs. Ich and velvet always comes back.

I hated to use the UV, but I think that is the only way.
Since it’s FOWLR & everything else has failed, why not go with the last resort which is to get the DT to a therapeutic copper level?

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it’s FOWLR & everything else has failed, why not go with the last resort which is to get the DT to a therapeutic copper level?
its not. It’s a mixed reef. But you’re right, it it was a fowlr, I would have added copper and wipe out ick and velvet.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not. It’s a mixed reef. But you’re right, it it was a fowlr, I would have added copper and wipe out ick and velvet.
Maybe I missed it but what sorts of coral are/were you keeping with those angels? Must by soft corals and mushroom?

Back