Angle with Possible Ich

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an angle with possible ich. I see 3 white speckles as of now. I have an array of meds and the angle (along with others) are in QT as they arrived earlier this week. I do not have a copper test kit as of yet (grabbing one tomorrow) I read up on MetroPlex and it says it treats ich. I also have cupramine but no test kit. I am willing to wait it out until I get a kit but was wondering if it would be easier on the fish if I treated with MetroPlex instead of copper.

@Maritimer
@Humblefish
@Brew12
@4FordFamily
@eatbreakfast
@melypr1985

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other symptoms? A photo would help us immensely :)

Copper is my preferred choice but what other fish are in QT?

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t grab a good photo showing the dots. They are very small and far between. And he’s an active fish. Current fish in QT:
Saddleback Butterfly
Red stripe Angle
Firefish
3 Blue green chromis

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex doesn't treat ich reliably enough that I'd recommend it as the primary medication.

Copper or Chloroquine Phosphate (CP - requires a veterinary prescription in the U.S.) are the go-to meds for that, and I've had angels come through Coppersafe with flying colors. The test kit you'll want for chelated copper like Coppersafe is API's, if you go with ionic copper, such as Cupramine, you'll want Seachem's test kit.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots on the body or on the fins? If this is ich, they should remain 3-7 days before disappearing.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots on the body or on the fins? If this is ich, they should remain 3-7 days before disappearing.

I noticed 1 speck on the side fin and possibly 1 on the tail. Reviewing the videos and photos I took it appears just on the side fin. Another possibly on the side but he won’t stay still. But 1 on the fin for sure
IMG_0027.jpg

I may be jumping the gun, but I would hate to lose either the angel or the butterfly.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other symptoms? A photo would help us immensely :)

Copper is my preferred choice but what other fish are in QT?

No symptoms. They are all eating, no scratching, avoiding the light, or swimming into the power head. All are very active and friendly.

Metroplex doesn't treat ich reliably enough that I'd recommend it as the primary medication.

Copper or Chloroquine Phosphate (CP - requires a veterinary prescription in the U.S.) are the go-to meds for that, and I've had angels come through Coppersafe with flying colors. The test kit you'll want for chelated copper like Coppersafe is API's, if you go with ionic copper, such as Cupramine, you'll want Seachem's test kit.

~Bruce

I have Cupramine but I have to go to a LFS to pick up a test kit anyways I will see if they have coppersafe. Although, I won’t be able to find an API kit within 75miles of me. May have to order one.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to tell with the focus of the photo, but there's a possibility this may be lymphocystis, too. It's a virus, kind of like cold sores. There's no "cure", but it goes away on its own with time and good general care. Lymph commonly shows up on fins, usually as small white growths that take on a cauliflower appearance.

Ich and velvet are common these days - copper in your QT regimen isn't a bad idea.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading up on the Lympho's. I will keep on eye out on if they fall off or not. Thank you for the clarification on Metroplex as well. I have never heard of it treating ich but the box said it did, never hurts to check.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 9 days have gone by and the little dot is still their. Hasn’t fallen off, hasn’t spread, grown a little but not bad. Gave me a little scare for a while but I think I have encountered a lympho thank you both @Humblefish @Maritimer

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back