Anion TDS Higher Than H20 Coming Out of RO Membrane

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed my SpectraPure DI and SilcaBuster cartridges were reading 1TDS each, so I decided to try BRS Anion and Mixed Bed DI combination as a replacement. Here are the current values:

TDS from well water input: 31
TDS after RO membrane: 2
TDS after BRS Anion: 4

TDS after BRS Mixed Bed DI: 0

How can the TDS increase by 2 after passing through the BRS Anion resin?

Thanks in advance!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my SpectraPure DI and SilcaBuster cartridges were reading 1TDS each, so I decided to try BRS Anion and Mixed Bed DI combination as a replacement. Here are the current values:

TDS from well water input: 31
TDS after RO membrane: 2
TDS after BRS Anion: 4

TDS after BRS Mixed Bed DI: 0

How can the TDS increase by 2 after passing through the BRS Anion resin?

Thanks in advance!
Did you flush your system out and then let it run for a little after the filter change?

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you flush your system out and then let it run for a little after the filter change?
About 7 gallons of DI has run through it with no change. I do a flush for about 30-60 seconds before and after making RODI, but that doesn't go through the DI chambers. Was that what you were referencing?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds normal. Here is an old comment from Randy. Put a cation in front of the anion.

Screenshot_20220813-071016~2.png

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds normal. Here is an old comment from Randy. Put a cation in front of the anion.

Screenshot_20220813-071016~2.png
Excellent, thanks for that! Very interesting that TDS can be raised by one of the resins.

Me thinks I misread something because I am not finding anything to suggest using an Anion only cartridge as the first resin in the lineup...especially prior to mixed bed. I'll do some additional research, but will probably trade out the Anion for another (duplicate) mixed bed.

cvysochin

View Badges
Reaction score
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run a cation only stage, then anion only, a second anion only, and a mixed bed last. The water should always be 0 after the anion(s). If it isnt, I swap in a fresh anion first, and run for a bit. If it's not zero, that tells me the cation needs to be replaced. That always does the trick. The mixed bed is more of a backup incase we dont catch changing the resins in time. We run the second anion because we have high co2 in our water and it destroys the anion stage very quickly.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU!!!

I could not for the life of me understand why my TDS is getting high despite tightly packing and changing my resins! I use 80% anion and the rest mixed.

Now I know what to do…100% mixed!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run a cation only stage, then anion only, a second anion only, and a mixed bed last. The water should always be 0 after the anion(s). If it isnt, I swap in a fresh anion first, and run for a bit. If it's not zero, that tells me the cation needs to be replaced. That always does the trick. The mixed bed is more of a backup incase we dont catch changing the resins in time. We run the second anion because we have high co2 in our water and it destroys the anion stage very quickly.
Have you considered running a DI bypass valve and ejecting your RO into a bucket or can with an airstone and a pump like an MJ1200 to mix and airate the water?
24 hours will knock out your CO2 and you can then use the mj1200 to pump the RO through your resin. You will be surprised how well this works.
I was burning through resin in less than 100 gallons with my tap water at only 250-300tds.
Now i can go closer to 600 gallons+.

Less than $60 worth if stuff if you dont have a pump tubing or airator pump.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back