OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build! Looks like its coming along great.
Thank you. Yes, the dirty phase is going away slowly. I am trying to build a box full of smooth skin corals or some unique acroporas which we generally don't see in todays tenuis dominated reefing world. Hope it works out in the long run.

Yours is coming up nice too. :)

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I can finally declare that the system is completely nuisance algae free. The tank reached its 6th month mark and now I am not seeing anymore algae. Interesting point is my nutrients are stupid high NO3> 30ppm and PO4 around 0.15 ppm. I am slowly bringing them down. I am targeting NO3 10 ppm and PO4 0.05 ppm. I used regular water change and dosed live phyto, Dr. Tims refresh and waste away in combination. A single treatment regimen of refresh and waste away took down the final residual algae. I am also seeing a lot of pink coralline all over the place. Currently I am following the radion schedule from TSA at 65% intensity and its working well. It looks very much like AB+ schedule. I will get a picture today when I get back home.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I can finally declare that the system is completely nuisance algae free. The tank reached its 6th month mark and now I am not seeing anymore algae. Interesting point is my nutrients are stupid high NO3> 30ppm and PO4 around 0.15 ppm. I am slowly bringing them down. I am targeting NO3 10 ppm and PO4 0.05 ppm. I used regular water change and dosed live phyto, Dr. Tims refresh and waste away in combination. A single treatment regimen of refresh and waste away took down the final residual algae. I am also seeing a lot of pink coralline all over the place. Currently I am following the radion schedule from TSA at 65% intensity and its working well. It looks very much like AB+ schedule. I will get a picture today when I get back home.
Yesir time for that pic!

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry folks for the delay. Here are the new pictures of the system. The system is running steady and clean. Hope it stays this way.

I am currently doing weekly water change but debating on doing it once in every 2 weeks.

20210718_172829.jpg

And the circus party....

20210718_172951.jpg

20210718_172919.jpg

You people can literally see how long that fin has grown. I will post a picture of its first week and now.

20210718_172910.jpg

20210718_172848.jpg

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the scape! A lot of great negative space for acro growout nice work!
Thanks Tim for liking it. I believe with bare bottom system if we can make an open aquascape it helps with coral growth, nutrient transport as well as fish to swim around. Basically I have no detritus anywhere in my whole tank although I feed the tank 3 times a day.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking very cool!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tim for liking it. I believe with bare bottom system if we can make an open aquascape it helps with coral growth, nutrient transport as well as fish to swim around. Basically I have no detritus anywhere in my whole tank although I feed the tank 3 times a day.
I like it I do the same. Went barebottom years ago and have never looked back!

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look what I got....

20210722_163834.jpg

I checked immediately after receiving it. Its such a pleasure to use it. My current PO4 is 0.11ppm (ULR) and NO3 stands at 31.8 ppm. :p The reading was pretty good as my salifert was showing its in between 25 and 50 ;Dead which is a huge range.

I wanted to do something new for coral collection as I believe there are very less steady source for smooth skin acros in the hobby. So I decided to buy some wild ones from ASD weekly sale and plan to care them and see how they turn out in long run. They all were different kind of smooth skins. I received them yesterday and one of them started to die, possibly didn't like the dip. But others are looking fine. I also started to dose my AF component 123. I decided to dose it until I need a calcium reactor. I was dosing tropic marine all for reef but I came to know that it doesn't contain any potassium;Dead so that will not work with my long term once a month water change schedule. I am also dosing approximately 20 ml of AF nitraphos minus per day and its holding my Po4 pretty steady. I will possibly start to increase the dose a little as I would like to have it a bit lower in the 0.06ppm range.

I am currently doing weekly 5% water change just to put some fresh saltwater in. I will slowly move into biweekly and then once a month regime. I generally add approx. 50 ml of Dr. Tims waste away after my water change. I will start dosing some Kalk too from next week just to keep the pH up a bit.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello guys,

Time for a little boring update. The tank is doing good and so do all the fishes. The nutrients are still elevated but I dont think that's hurting any coral growth. I am collecting corals from different sources and the list is growing pretty strong. The corals are growing and I am currently doing a combination dosing of Kalk and aquaforest 123 to maintain my Alk levels.

Here is the current list of Acros I collected and growing...

1. TSA zombieland
  2. RRC shazam
  3. CC Hellboy
  4. WWC little red Ferrari
  5. Oregon tort
  6. Sanjays wrecking ball robusta
  7. Boom coral red loripes
  8. RMF red gecko
  9. RMF ice age granulosa
  10. BC Cricket spine
  11. BC Gilligan
  12. BC Kermit song granulosa
  13. BC Skinny love
  14. Wet thumbs mother of pearl
  15. BC Boiled angel
  16. POTO Hellblade
  17. POTO Poison Ivy
  18. Greg's Unicorn
  19. POTO Golden Dragon
  20. OG Red Dragon
  21. Banana Lokani
  22. CB Golden Jawdropper

I have few more coming this week. I will update the list once I receive them. I will get some pictures this weekend after the water change :p .

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive coral collection !!

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Impressive coral collection !!
Hey Jeff,

Thanks man. Your tank is recovering well too. I just received 3 box of hanna high nitrate reagents. Its really hard to get hands on these.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jeff,

Thanks man. Your tank is recovering well too. I just received 3 box of hanna high nitrate reagents. Its really hard to get hands on these.
Thank you for the update on the Hanna reagents. This is good news, I should receive my oder soon then.

Have a great day ;Shamefullyembarrased

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! Love the coral list. Do you by chance have a pic of the RR Shazam ? I got a chunk of it 2 months ago and just wondering how yours was doing.
Did the second Idol not make it back into the tank?

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great tank! Love the coral list. Do you by chance have a pic of the RR Shazam ? I got a chunk of it 2 months ago and just wondering how yours was doing.
Did the second Idol not make it back into the tank?
I can get one but its currently bluish greenish in color. Its just been couple of months in the tank and I think its still settling down. Sadly I have to give away the second idol last month. I tried couple of more times to introduce it back in the tank but it always displayed aggression towards the larger established one. I just gave it to one of my friend as it was eating well.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get one but its currently bluish greenish in color. Its just been couple of months in the tank and I think its still settling down. Sadly I have to give away the second idol last month. I tried couple of more times to introduce it back in the tank but it always displayed aggression towards the larger established one. I just gave it to one of my friend as it was eating well.

ok that’s interesting about the Shazam. I would say mine is similar. Bluish teal colour, it’s starting to encrust but no polyp extension since I moved it from the rack to its spot on the rocks.
that’s a shame about the other Idol.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok that’s interesting about the Shazam. I would say mine is similar. Bluish teal colour, it’s starting to encrust but no polyp extension since I moved it from the rack to its spot on the rocks.
that’s a shame about the other Idol.
Yup, I was sad to see him go but I can not sacrifice the bigger one as it is already well settled and well behaved in the tank.

I am yet to see any polyp extension on any of the smooth skin except the batch I got from Battlecoral. They show really nice polyps. I am hopeful to see more color on the Shazam but I think it will take few more months.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope everyone is having a nice long weekend.....

As promised time for new updated pictures. Ordered few things for the tank maintenance.

20210906_165334.jpg

20210906_151236.jpg

20210906_151212.jpg

20210906_152012.jpg

20210906_151542.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back