OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here we go.....water water everywhere.....:) Started filling it yesterday and its still going on...

20210109_142809.jpg

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is cycling since last sunday. There were quite a few disaster during the leak test. Firdst there were couple of small drips which I always expect during leak test but then late in the night last saturday I suddenly found a 90 degree elbow was leaking:eek:. I was surprised to find it. But then I figured out the mistake. I completely forgot to glue it up it was just dry fitted.;Blackeye;Blackeye;Blackeye;Blackeye So took it out and then glue it back. Since then no leak.

I started the cycling by adding a bottle of Dr. Timms one and only, Microbacter XLM and 7 and some AF life biofil with 2 ppm ammonia. I always believe in biological diversity so I added all those different strains together. THe tank took 4 days to bring down the ammonia and I observed nitrite and nitrate. I added more ammonia yesterday and now waiting to see how long it will take for the bacteria to bring it down. I am currently following the Dr. Tims guide and running the salinity low as 21ppt and 83F temperature. I also measured PO4 and its steady at 0.03ppm measured by Hanna ppb ULR.

I added my cycled bioballs and some pukani rocks in the fuge section of the sump. Today I observed something unique. As I mentioned earlier these rocks were cycled for just over two years in a rubbermaid tub. Today morning I saw some coralline algae growing on the rocks. Now currently the tank is only getting sun light as ight source as I will not put up the lights for the first 3 months. I am wondering is this because of the well cycled rocks or there is something more into it.

20210117_140118.jpg

20210117_140128.jpg

Here is the tank after adding the bottled bacteria.

20210110_131424.jpg

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's my 2 cense. the light from the sun almost always causes algae blooms "from my experience" I had a tank were it sun hit it in the bottom two inches and there was a huge algae bloom. Im just saying close the shades and turn the lights on. in the end it will work out better.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coralline never turns white. It could sit dry for years and still be pink. Probably what you're seeing on those rocks there. Not really sure what you mean when you say they were cycled for two years, that much time there should be all kinds of growth on them.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here's my 2 cense. the light from the sun almost always causes algae blooms "from my experience" I had a tank were it sun hit it in the bottom two inches and there was a huge algae bloom. Im just saying close the shades and turn the lights on. in the end it will work out better.
Yeah I read your comments on the other thread. In my experience I am yet to come across that kind of event. My last tank was also very close to the window and used to receive a lot of direct sunlight during the day but I did not have any issue with algae. But every tank is different. I know people who successfully use solar tube for their only light source and those tanks are nice. But thanks for the letting me know I will keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some coralline never turns white. It could sit dry for years and still be pink. Probably what you're seeing on those rocks there. Not really sure what you mean when you say they were cycled for two years, that much time there should be all kinds of growth on them.
Yes and my guess is that too. Only thing is they have been washed with acid and bleach multiple times before I started seeding them with bacteria. They were cured and seeded with bacteria and ghost feeded for 2 years in a dark rubbermaid tub. My current PO4 is 0.02 and NO3 stands close to 5ppm so the rocks are currently fine. No ammonia and no nitrate. There will be no light for next few months so we will see what effect that has on the algae growth and coralline.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its been a while since I last posted some pictures. So its picture time.

I moved few fishes from my holding tank to their new home. I also got couple of new fishes from my wishlist. today morning finally my skimmer broke in and now its pulling out some nice foam.

My Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis) is with me over a year and he is more like dog than fish. He likes to eat from my hand directly like my tang and will try to photobomb every single shot. But I managed to get few pictures of others.

When someone peek inside your house every morning and you have no idea why. So you come out to see what they are looking at ;Dead ;Dead . I have 2 purple queen anthias and one copperband butterfly. The purple queens hid for almost a week;Bucktooth but now they come out and play and eating very fine chopped frozen mysis, ROE and LRS and brine. The copperband on the other hand eats from water column and also cleans the floor. He officially joined the wrasse gang but prefer sleeping with my clowns:p.

20210128_075750.jpg

20210128_080900.jpg

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need a yellow tang , a kole tang and lastly an Achilles tang.

Looks awesome man !!!
Lol...you bet I do. I already have a yellow tang and Desjardini whom I trained since they were infants to stay together. Currently I am planning to buy a life and medical insurance for my yellow tang so that I don't loose him under any circumstances, because in current situation it seems they are going to be costlier than a gem tang:p.

They will soon join by a naso blonde and may be if I am not murdered by my wife then a achilles in future. I was actually trying to reach TSM aquatics to get a achilles and moorish idol but it seems they are right now in a mood to play hide and seek with me. I tried almost every possible way to contact them and failed ;Dead ;Dead ;Dead .

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...you bet I do. I already have a yellow tang and Desjardini whom I trained since they were infants to stay together. Currently I am planning to buy a life and medical insurance for my yellow tang so that I don't loose him under any circumstances, because in current situation it seems they are going to be costlier than a gem tang:p.

They will soon join by a naso blonde and may be if I am not murdered by my wife then a achilles in future. I was actually trying to reach TSM aquatics to get a achilles and moorish idol but it seems they are right now in a mood to play hide and seek with me. I tried almost every possible way to contact them and failed ;Dead ;Dead ;Dead .
Good luck ! Am surprised they arent picking up the call . May be too many calls .
I love the fact that you are trying moorish idol . Makes sense when you will do smoothies only as they surely do love tenuis and millies :D .
Hypothetically if it wants to eat acros, will you give it ? Just pulse checking :D

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck ! Am surprised they arent picking up the call . May be too many calls .
I love the fact that you are trying moorish idol . Makes sense when you will do smoothies only as they surely do love tenuis and millies :D .
Hypothetically if it wants to eat acros, will you give it ? Just pulse checking :D
I don't know what happened to them. I know they are still operating so I will give them another call.

I actually had a moorish idol which was a super model citizen and never touched any corals. He used to mind his business and hang around with my copperband. I lost him during a tank transfer. I think because I feed my tank so heavy none of fish show any interest for any coral or any aggression.

Hypothetically in case if it develops a test for acros then hypothetically I need to either feed him some polyps or he needs to go out ;Bucktooth . I actually feed all my fishes panta rhei nouri polyp pellets and sponge pellets every day. They seem to enjoy them. I also feed them TDO chroma boost, ocean nutrition formula one and hatchery diet pellet.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what happened to them. I know they are still operating so I will give them another call.

I actually had a moorish idol which was a super model citizen and never touched any corals. He used to mind his business and hang around with my copperband. I lost him during a tank transfer. I think because I feed my tank so heavy none of fish show any interest for any coral or any aggression.

Hypothetically in case if it develops a test for acros then hypothetically I need to either feed him some polyps or he needs to go out ;Bucktooth . I actually feed all my fishes panta rhei nouri polyp pellets and sponge pellets every day. They seem to enjoy them. I also feed them TDO chroma boost, ocean nutrition formula one and hatchery diet pellet.
That is awesome to hear that they dont feel teh need to eat polyps with such heavy feeding .

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is awesome to hear that they dont feel teh need to eat polyps with such heavy feeding .
I think the only fish I have ever have issue with is flame angel. My SPS wont show a single polyp during the day when I kept one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back