Announcement: My own-builded KH-machine is ready!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by JonasRoman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. JonasRoman

JonasRoman Well-Known Member

Important tip to all users who will get their units now and start to mix their reagent for the first time, from the "concentrated 4 l batch":

Read the manual carefully(p. 31) and most of you will probably find the "weight method" most appropriate.
    Then take care when pour the reagent and RO-water, that you slow down in time and add the last amount with a pipette or syringe (new, clean)!!.

For example:
    If you want to mix 2 liter(2000g) ready to use solution:
    1) First put the completely clean canister on the scale, and press "tare".
    2) Now you shall add 400 gram reagent, so when you are at around maybe 200 g, slow down!(be aware of that is not easy to pour from a 4 l bottle so slow down in time!!), and start to add the last amount with a pipette or syringe, so you can stop EXACT at 400g.
    3) Now, DO NOT take away the canister, but start to add RO-water, and the final weight shall be 2000g. So in same way, when you are near 2000g, slow down, and add the last water with the pipette or syringe so you can stop at EXACT 2000g.
    4) Done!

Please do some try/rehearsal, with only water and the pipette and scale, so you do not miss the target values.
    IF you fail, small errors is no problem, like 1-2 gram.

But, as we understand that you can not succeed 100% all the time, we will in next VERY SOON fw update, inlclude in software a so called Baseline Calibration (user manual page 23), which can save you and the reagens if you do an error which is more than desirable.

But until then, and also with that fw-function, try to be very careful when mixing, for best accuray as possible.
    /Jonas

acesq and BigJohnny like this.

2. JonasRoman

acesq likes this.
  3. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

Nice.

4. Bronx19

Bronx19 Active Member

Is it economical to create the same system to monitor and dose nitrate/phosphate?

I can see the day coming where you simply fill your dosing containers and a machine sets your water parameters.

5. Texas Reefer

Texas Reefer Well-Known Member

Perhaps leave a link to the seller on the first page so that it can be easily found?

6. JonasRoman

That sounds like a Dream;-)...we will see what future have to offer;-)...

7. acesq

acesq Active Member

I just received the Alktronic with two extra bottles of reagent. There was a two day hold up in customs related to the reagent, but FedEx and Focustronic worked through it with me fairly quickly and painlessly. It was delivered to my office and my tank is at home so I won’t be able to set it up until tonight or tomorrow but I thought I’d share some pictures. First impression is this thing is well built, nice fit and finish and robust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FOCUSTRONIC, Janci, TMB and 3 others like this.
  8. JonasRoman

Usable info and tip

Tip 1: tip for those who wants to sharpen the accuracy This is not mandatory, but we have always different demand of perfection.
    Tip 2: Very important to remind for all users
    Tip 3: A little helpful and very easy tip

See picture

Tip 1:
    The measure cylinder you use for calibrate the pumps, are of course not 100% accurate. If you are lucky, the cylinder you got are spoton, but the difference can vary. This is true for all measure units. So if you wants to sharpen the accuracy in calibration, you can "calibrate" your own measure cylinders, with a scale with reasonable precision and a resolution of at least 0.1g.
    Method: Be sure the cylinder is absolutely dry. Place it on the scale and press tare. Now pour down RO-water, until you read 10.00 gram. Now you now you have 10.00 ml in the cylinder. Read carefully what cylinder says. If it for instance says 9.5 ml then you have to multiply all your measure cylinder readings with this cylinder, with 10/9.5=1.05.
    Same procedure for the bigger cylinder with 50.00 gram etc.

Tip 2: The pipe from pump B, must always be in contact with the bottom glass of the test-vial. This is obvious and we emphasize this in the manual. BUT, as this pipe is not fixed with clips, you can if you are not careful, by mistake, dislocate the pipe from the correct bottom position. Make sure it is really pushed all way down, with close contact with bottom, and make sure that is is not dislocated, for instance when you manipulate with he other pipes and/or closing the door etc.

Tip 3: Every measure cycle takes 50.00 ml water to measure. That is why you calibrate the pump A in this case, to get this 50 ml as accurate as possible. After a while, maybe 2-4 weeks, the hoses changes slowly its properties, and that is the cause that we need to recalibrate the pump from time to time. A very rough but still helpful tip to estimate if the Pump A is doing almost correct (for instance if you have to troubleshoot), you can do this one time for all:
    Take the measure cylinder, with no contents, dry. Place it on a high precision scale and pour RO water to 50.00 gram, OR fill it with 50.00 ml RO water with a pipette with god accuracy. Now you know that it contains exact 50.00 ml water. Now, replace the testvial, with these 50.00 ml water still there, and replace all pipes, ph electrode and magnetic rod, in same positions as when running the machine. Now look carefully the water level, and place a mark at that level.
    Now, you can when machine taking water to measure look at this mark and see if the machine is very close to this mark exactly before starting to titrate. If it is, you know that you have a quite good accuracy from pump A and maybe do not have to test it with "test pump accuracy". A quick test to exclude that as a cause if you have problem with accuracy.

/Jonas

50ml.JPG

correct.JPG

incorrect.JPG

testcylindercorrection1.JPG

testcylindercorrection2.JPG

BigJohnny and acesq like this.
  9. TMB

TMB Active Member R2R Supporter

That's awesome!! Hope to see pictures of it in action!

10. acesq

acesq Active Member

Jonas:

I'm setting up my unit today and have a question: Is the reagent that comes with the unit ready to use or concentrated? Thanks,

Art

11. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

Im almost 99% sure its ready to use. The concentrated reagent is a special separate purchase option.

acesq likes this.
  12. JonasRoman

Actually i have to see the bottle but as we only sell concentrated in 4 l, it must be ready to use if it is 1 l:)

acesq likes this.
  13. acesq

acesq Active Member

It is 1l, so it must be ready to use. I also purchased two additional 1 ltr bottles. No mixing for a while!

FOCUSTRONIC and JonasRoman like this.
  14. acesq

acesq Active Member

Got it set up. Very straightforward process. The first test reported 7.36. I did a Salifert test immediately after and tested 7.3. Happy with that.

So far I am extremely impressed with the Alkatronic. I still need to buy a BNC cable to connect it to my Apex to control my Dastaco calcium reactor.

Jonas, how high above the bottom of the test vial should the pH probe be set. Using the O ring from the probe’s packing vial I have it set just above the height of the mixing pill. The tip is completely submerged between tests.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tobbe, BigJohnny, FOCUSTRONIC and 2 others like this.
  15. JonasRoman

Wonderful news! Accurate and Nice setup. Thanks so much for Nice review already:)

The pH probe should be exact Where you describe it:)
    If you take a picture I can look to be 100% sure:)

Jonas

TMB likes this.
  16. JonasRoman

@acesq , can I use your picture at our Fb site if i cut it down to only shown your Nice setup?:)

Jonas

17. acesq

acesq Active Member

Yes, you can use the picture. Thanks for asking.

Here is the pic of the pH probe location:

[​IMG]

JonasRoman and TMB like this.
  18. JonasRoman

Perfect pH probe location:)!

19. Janci

Janci Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Nice set up @acesq
    I am wondering how you will control the Dastaco with the Alkatronic. Can you explain as the Dastaco has his own controller.

20. Bronx19

Bronx19 Active Member

So does the Alkatronic dose, or do you connect it to your own doser?

Draft saved Draft deleted