ANNOUNCING: The Kessil A500X Tuna Blue

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We will be accepting pre-orders very soon. Contact us via phone if you want to get on our call back list.

Last edited:

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Especially since there is no built in wifi controller, so it’ll cost even more to get the full benefits.
I see your point if you're only buying one light, but if you're buying multiples, that's added costs that's unnecessary. The trade off here is the size of the fixture and the ability to place it almost anywhere. Personally, the less onboard components I have to worry about breaking down, the better. Case in point, Neptune system's apex EB832 and their cheap power supply for the relays and DC ports. I really like simplicity when it comes to lighting and having a physical controller or a Wi-Fi option is completely fine with me. Set lights, forget about it. But I understand that everyone will have different needs or desires in gear.

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Don’t tempt me with a good time!! 2 would look great over my 48/48/24 cube! Try me some leds!

corey
I can't promise a goody bag would be filled with lights, but we'd definitely hook you up with shirts and a really, really cool tour if you ever wanted to visit.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
I see your point if you're only buying one light, but if you're buying multiples, that's added costs that's unnecessary. The trade off here is the size of the fixture and the ability to place it almost anywhere. Personally, the less onboard components I have to worry about breaking down, the better. Case in point, Neptune system's apex EB832 and their cheap power supply for the relays and DC ports. I really like simplicity when it comes to lighting and having a physical controller or a Wi-Fi option is completely fine with me. Set lights, forget about it. But I understand that everyone will have different needs or desires in gear.
You make a good pint about simplicity. I guess when the other big brands offer wifi built into the device, and even the AP9X does too, I wouldn’t assumed that Kessil would have adopted this in their lights going forward too.

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
You make a good pint about simplicity. I guess when the other big brands offer wifi built into the device, and even the AP9X does too, I wouldn’t assumed that Kessil would have adopted this in their lights going forward too.
Yeah, but no other company makes a light quite like the 360x or 500x either. Would I like built-in wifi, absolutely, but it's never the deciding factor for buying a light for me. There are a handful of other manufacturers who offer wifi cards or controllers as an extra purchase too. To me, the 500x is the closest thing to metal halide in led form out there and that's a good thing. I've been waiting for this to happen, for a long time.
Cheers and happy reefing!

Teddy00024

View Badges
Reaction score
7C290E37-2087-4F26-8AD4-D9385A92AE88.jpeg

Love the new unit but the A360X’s are more then capable of growing SPS and acros as well. This guy was grown exclusively with A360X’s and no other supplemental lighting. Maybe in the future I will try the new units as well.

Last edited:

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
4 kessil 360s are doing the bulk of my SPS growing. Not sure why there’s so much hate on kessils. I’ve been using them since they first came out and love them. The shimmer actually makes the tank look like the ocean. I might have to pick one of these up. They look dope.
What are the dimensions of your tank? I'm just starting a standard 90G and bought 4 360s to do exactly what you're doing. That gives me hope that I chose the correct light. And the shimmer these put out brings me back to my metal halide days. Just beautiful lights all around

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I can't promise a goody bag would be filled with lights, but we'd definitely hook you up with shirts and a really, really cool tour if you ever wanted to visit.
I would love to just tour the place! Even without lights although my buddy is pushing me super hard to put the kessil lights over my tank instead of the Orpheks (that I have had for 2.5 years and only had operational for about 3 months due to all sorts of issues). I can say he makes a compelling argument. Haha

corey

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
By the way, am i the only one who mounts it the other way around? To the wall.
I had to else i had no acces anymore to the middle filter compartment of an aio tank. :) IMG_20210319_215320.jpg
Ya that’s the exact way I mounted my H170 in my sump, for the fuge compartment. Works very very well and I am surprised this isn’t done more commonly or isn’t more widespread. When I was searching for Kessil wall mount, I could not find anyone else doing this.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the 500X vs a AP9x on a JBJ45... roughly 26 x 15 x 19 deep display area? will the 500X cover that for SPS at 12 to 16 inches deep? Or is the AP9x a better choice set to around 50-70% intnesity?

MNFish

View Badges
Reaction score
I have bought a few frags from my local fish store and am always amazed how how much better they look under my Kessil, my child the other day in the store said all their coral looked dead.... Kessil adds life to my tank and I am excited about this new option.

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the 500X vs a AP9x on a JBJ45... roughly 26 x 15 x 19 deep display area? will the 500X cover that for SPS at 12 to 16 inches deep? Or is the AP9x a better choice set to around 50-70% intnesity?
With that shallow of a tank, either the AP9X or two 360x's would do the job nicely.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 180gal display.
5ft long
2ft wide
30 inches deep.

Which kessil would be best for me? A360x ot a500x?
How many of whichever light would I need to cover my 5ft long 30 inch deep sps dominant reef?

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 96'' x 30'' x 30'' tank with 4 x 360Xs and 2 x 48" Aquatic life T5s. I had to build my rock scape up so I can grow Acros. Now I wish I had these when I bought my lights 6 months ago. I was just wondering today if my lights were enough or I should supplement them somehow.

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 180gal display.
5ft long
2ft wide
30 inches deep.

Which kessil would be best for me? A360x ot a500x?
How many of whichever light would I need to cover my 5ft long 30 inch deep sps dominant reef?
The 30" deep suggests that the A500X is going to be the way to go. It'll give you more flexibility with the mounting height. I'd suggest either 2 or 3 of the A500X units for a full, high light coverage and maximum flexibility.

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 245 59.2%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 74 17.9%
  • NO

Votes: 85 20.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.4%