ANNOUNCING: The Kessil A500X Tuna Blue

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 96'' x 30'' x 30'' tank with 4 x 360Xs and 2 x 48" Aquatic life T5s. I had to build my rock scape up so I can grow Acros. Now I wish I had these when I bought my lights 6 months ago. I was just wondering today if my lights were enough or I should supplement them somehow.
You're definitely at the outer edge of what the A360X units can do given the front to back dimension and the top to bottom depth.

If you're feeling like you don't have enough light, it might make sense to swap one or two of the A360Xs for the A500X (or just add an A500X or two and slide around the A360Xs) to really crank out the lighting requirement you're looking for.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
You're definitely at the outer edge of what the A360X units can do given the front to back dimension and the top to bottom depth.

If you're feeling like you don't have enough light, it might make sense to swap one or two of the A360Xs for the A500X (or just add an A500X or two and slide around the A360Xs) to really crank out the lighting requirement you're looking for.
My lights are about 8-10'' above the water level, I think hanging the A500X from that height will produce some serious hot spot.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The 30" deep suggests that the A500X is going to be the way to go. It'll give you more flexibility with the mounting height. I'd suggest either 2 or 3 of the A500X units for a full, high light coverage and maximum flexibility.
Thank you.
I forgot to mention that I have a canopy that limits how high I can mount a light. My current lights (Reefbreeders Photon 50 V2+) is 10 inches off the surface.
Does that make any difference in your recommendation?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've had my 500x installed for a couple days now and it's 10" off the water. I had it at 50% power but backed it down to 45%. I need to grab a par meter and do some testing.

Attachments

• 20210329_132839.jpg
    20210329_132839.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
My lights are about 8-10'' above the water level, I think hanging the A500X from that height will produce some serious hot spot.

Not necessarily. The native beam angle is 110 degrees on the light, so the coverage is dispersed really well

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had my 500x installed for a couple days now and it's 10" off the water. I had it at 50% power but backed it down to 45%. I need to grab a par meter and do some testing.
Thats cool that you were able to get one before they went to sale.
have you grabbed your PAR meter and done any testing yet? LoL

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Not necessarily. The native beam angle is 110 degrees on the light, so the coverage is dispersed really well

@Kessil I am in the process a 150 gallon build, 60"x24"x24" dimensions. I purchased the 48" AquaticLife DX18 hybrid and was leaning toward four to five A360X. Mixed reef, heavier on the SPS in the top-middle with LPS on the bottom and softies in the corners. The need A500X has me wondering if it would be the better light for the job. With the 110 degree reflector on the A500X, how many would you recommend and at what mounting height to achieve adequate coverage in conjunction with the T5 hybrid? I am limited in my overhead height of the fixtures and approximately 8" off the surface of the water would be the ideal height for this setup.

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m not Kessil, but I would think 2.

I was originally planning on multiple smaller lights to get good coverage, ruling out the AP9X or similar models. But I’m really curious for the A500X if it can achieve better, more even spread and power down to 24” than other fixtures on the market or if id be better off with multiple smaller A360X.

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
@Kessil I am in the process a 150 gallon build, 60"x24"x24" dimensions. I purchased the 48" AquaticLife DX18 hybrid and was leaning toward four to five A360X. Mixed reef, heavier on the SPS in the top-middle with LPS on the bottom and softies in the corners. The need A500X has me wondering if it would be the better light for the job. With the 110 degree reflector on the A500X, how many would you recommend and at what mounting height to achieve adequate coverage in conjunction with the T5 hybrid? I am limited in my overhead height of the fixtures and approximately 8" off the surface of the water would be the ideal height for this setup.
Two of the A500X with the Aquatic Life Hybrid will work very well for that system. If I'm in your shoes, either solution (2 A500X or 4 A360X) are good choices. I'd go with the A500X units if it's a flatter rockwork, or the 4 A360X if the rockwork is more jagged (highs and lows).

Let us know how else we can help

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Two of the A500X with the Aquatic Life Hybrid will work very well for that system. If I'm in your shoes, either solution (2 A500X or 4 A360X) are good choices. I'd go with the A500X units if it's a flatter rockwork, or the 4 A360X if the rockwork is more jagged (highs and lows).

Let us know how else we can help

Thanks @Kessil! I am not completely set for aquascape just yet, but toying with the idea of an NSA type setup with multiple branches and levels. The tank is 24” deep so I want to be sure to get spread and light penetration. The A500X is appealing for the increased power and penetration and with that, lighting won’t be a limiting factor for growing any coral at any spot in the tank. But I initially was planning on multiple smaller units such as the A360X to help achieve good spread and use the overlapping light sources to get that intensity and penetration. That rationale is why I initially moved away considering only a few larger lights like the AP9X.

The goal is mixed reef but with a heavier focus on SPS placed primarily in the top and middle of the tank. I do not run Kessil’s now but have really come to like the shimmer, plus all the recommendations coupling them with the AquaticLife T5 hybrid.

Have you ever grown your own live aquarium food?

• YES and it was a success (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 64 22.5%
  • YES but I couldn't sustain it long term

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • NO, I tried but couldn't

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • NO, I have never tried

Votes: 166 58.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.1%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls