View Badges
Reaction score
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB
No Doubt! $739,00 for one fixture and still isn't as good as my T5's

Mywifeisgunnakillme

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I bought four 500's and the 35 degree reflectors. This will go with six more 365's with 35 degree reflectors, reefbrites, and T'5's. Plan is to mount lights in the ceiling about 30 inches from the top of the tank. The kessils will be able to be mounted on adjustable tracks as wide as the tank and then angled towards the center of the tank to help coverage. Then i can focus them on light loving SPS. Most likely won't have to run the kessils anywhere near full intensity, check with par meter, and that should help longevity of the lights.

I think for this purpose, these lights rock! Right tool for the job. Peninsula tank only has MP 60's on the back wall--so combined with the lights mounted flush with the ceiling--super clean look all around. This is important because the tank is surround by bar tops and any cords or lights above the tank would detract from the theme.

Plus with 30 inches above the tank, and all that light, i'll have a tanning bed ;Wacky

If someone wants 36 by 36 coverage, i think thats going to be a mixed, lps/softy tank, with only SPS under the light. I love how BRS is explaining what this light is for and what it is not for.... A single light is not for 36 by 36 or 24 by 24 SPS only.... It's for a mixed reef. You'll have to supplement a single light with strips or t'5's if you want full SPS.

For me, the Kessil shimmer, spectrum, ease of use, and compact versatility is my preference.... But these lights are not wide coverage like a T5 (and i am glad they are not... so i can use other brand filler lights, or not, as my tank and preference desires).

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I bought four 500's and the 35 degree reflectors. This will go with six more 365's with 35 degree reflectors, reefbrites, and T'5's. Plan is to mount lights in the ceiling about 30 inches from the top of the tank. The kessils will be able to be mounted on adjustable tracks as wide as the tank and then angled towards the center of the tank to help coverage. Then i can focus them on light loving SPS. Most likely won't have to run the kessils anywhere near full intensity, check with par meter, and that should help longevity of the lights.

I think for this purpose, these lights rock! Right tool for the job. Peninsula tank only has MP 60's on the back wall--so combined with the lights mounted flush with the ceiling--super clean look all around. This is important because the tank is surround by bar tops and any cords or lights above the tank would detract from the theme.

Plus with 30 inches above the tank, and all that light, i'll have a tanning bed ;Wacky

If someone wants 36 by 36 coverage, i think thats going to be a mixed, lps/softy tank, with only SPS under the light. I love how BRS is explaining what this light is for and what it is not for.... A single light is not for 36 by 36 or 24 by 24 SPS only.... It's for a mixed reef. You'll have to supplement a single light with strips or t'5's if you want full SPS.

For me, the Kessil shimmer, spectrum, ease of use, and compact versatility is my preference.... But these lights are not wide coverage like a T5 (and i am glad they are not... so i can use other brand filler lights, or not, as my tank and preference desires).
This! It still amazes me how much people (reefers) don't understand about reef lighting, especially LED. There's not one single light that does everything, so find the combo that works for you and the animals you want to keep. Shimmer, spectrum, ease of use, contrast, etc, these are the qualities that I love about Kessil's. Either get more fixtures or combine with a different type of light to fill in. There's no other light that's this versatile in its ability to adapt to so many setups. I will always use Kessil's as my main source of light, just like I did with halides, I'll use other forms of light to combine and create the look that I've grown to love. Panel style lights are designed to mount close for coverage and par, Kessil's can be mounted close or further away with the added reflectors and still achieve the same look, spectrum and par. That's just cool in my book.

Sparky27

View Badges
Reaction score

This! It still amazes me how much people (reefers) don't understand about reef lighting, especially LED. There's not one single light that does everything, so find the combo that works for you and the animals you want to keep. Shimmer, spectrum, ease of use, contrast, etc, these are the qualities that I love about Kessil's. Either get more fixtures or combine with a different type of light to fill in. There's no other light that's this versatile in its ability to adapt to so many setups. I will always use Kessil's as my main source of light, just like I did with halides, I'll use other forms of light to combine and create the look that I've grown to love. Panel style lights are designed to mount close for coverage and par, Kessil's can be mounted close or further away with the added reflectors and still achieve the same look, spectrum and par. That's just cool in my book.
I would not expect 1 500x to be a single light solution for a 36x36 area however Kessil themselves have claimed it covers 36x36 for sps. That’s what I would like to see testing on. If I decide to go with the 500x it would certainly be combined with a t5 hybrid fixture but I would still like to see baseline testing done to confirm or contradict the veracity of Kessil’s claim.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I would not expect 1 500x to be a single light solution for a 36x36 area however Kessil themselves have claimed it covers 36x36 for sps. That’s what I would like to see testing on. If I decide to go with the 500x it would certainly be combined with a t5 hybrid fixture but I would still like to see baseline testing done to confirm or contradict the veracity of Kessil’s claim.

Maybe this helps. Here is Kessil claims:

1621996521298.png

They are saying it covers 36 x 36 inches for SPS "dominate" systems, which is what i was essentially explaining above; it's for a mixed reef tank, not a pure SPS tank. One light will definitely not cover 36 by 36 inches of high light demanding, shelving/heavy branching, light hungry acropora. But it will do an amazing job with high light SPS towards the center of the light and lower light SPS or other corals at the edges. Realize plenty of SPS thrive in lower to medium light.

If you can't read that Its:

With BRS's "custom setting" (not every color is anywhere near 100%--like other lights test at) on a 2 x 2 foot square tank with 120 lens and 9 inches above the tank:

1621997605471.png
1621997006003.png

top middle 375 par, top outside 231par

middle middle (haha) 214 par, middle outside 224 par

bottom middle 194 par, bottom outside 193

In sum, if the 500X is getting 194 par at the bottom outside edge of 2 foot by 2 foot tank, like above, is there really any doubt it will get at least 100 or 150 par an extra six inches wider on either side??? That's enough for LPS, softies, and decent number of SPS.

Last edited:
OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
@Kessil - can you estimate when dealers will be restocked with the A500X. They are not to be found at the common sources.
We had another shipment that went out last Thursday/Friday, so they should be in stock coming up here in the next few days. They've been in high demand, but we've been ramping production to catch up.

I do know that The Fish Reef, in Colorado, got their shipment and they're in stock and willing to ship. Worth reaching out to them if you're looking to get one soon!

748S911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Ive tried the kessil ax500, xr30, aquatic hybrid t5, and reefbrite xho combo. Mixed and matched all on, some on, and just the ax500 alone. To find the best color and look for my tank.

2 ax500 at 36” high with 35 reflectors looked the best to me and super clean (no terminator look) plug and play

with reefbrites and radions the effect on sand was not pleasing. Managing different apps and wifi plug timer for t5 was alot of work setting perfect light cycle For all 6 lights.

The t5 was meh.. and im using brand new ati blue+ and coral + bulbs lots of spilled light around tank.

ease of use and color,shimmer, intensity with the ax500 did it for me.

I think if i wanted to mount 12” off the top i would be able to grow sps with 12 ax360’s no problems.

I would ditch everything else and stay with ax500 and add more cannons for fill light. Especially if ur going for clean look.

I’m lighting a 120”x60”x30” peninsula and going with all ax500’s 12 total Mounted on ceiling. I can always add more cannons based on growth if needed. I’ll start with 8, then 12 as the reef matures. Im also going full sps with some corals that move with the waves for some movement.

By that time im sure the ax1000 will be avail lol, and i will buy those too. hahahahahah

Attachments

• B88EF9D4-CE50-4AD0-B453-E9AD7EB1FA8C.png
    B88EF9D4-CE50-4AD0-B453-E9AD7EB1FA8C.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 21
  • A6F609D0-5372-40CD-9E80-705A83B5FFB8.jpeg
    A6F609D0-5372-40CD-9E80-705A83B5FFB8.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Ive tried the kessil ax500, xr30, aquatic hybrid t5, and reefbrite xho combo. Mixed and matched all on, some on, and just the ax500 alone. To find the best color and look for my tank.

2 ax500 at 36” high with 35 reflectors looked the best to me and super clean (no terminator look) plug and play

with reefbrites and radions the effect on sand was not pleasing. Managing different apps and wifi plug timer for t5 was alot of work setting perfect light cycle For all 6 lights.

The t5 was meh.. and im using brand new ati blue+ and coral + bulbs lots of spilled light around tank.

I think if i wanted to mount 12” off the top i would be able to grow sps with 12 ax360’s no problems.

I would ditch everything else and stay with ax500 and add more cannons for fill light. Especially if ur going for clean look.

I’m lighting a 120”x60”x30” peninsula and going with all ax500’s 12 total Mounted on ceiling. I can always add more cannons based on growth if needed. I’ll start with 8, then 12 as the reef matures. Im also going full sps with some corals that move with the waves for some movement.

By that time im sure the ax1000 will be avail lol, and i will buy those too. hahahahahah
I appreciate the in depth feedback! We're looking forward to following along with this build. Let us know if we can be of any assistance!

Mywifeisgunnakillme

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score

Appreciate the feedback and experience. I may end up with just kessils, but the pure kessil look is not 110% my cup of tea.

The T5 mix and Reefbrite fill calms the shimmer and adds a look that i prefer. I think growth is just better under T5's too, not that that really matters as time evens that out.

I hear you on the light spill though from non 35 degree lights. I may just be fine with the spill though, or recess the t5's and reefbrites, and/or use some trim to act as barndoor reflectors.

Lots to play with and will take photos...

@Kessil i have clam display refugium, that i want the lights even higher so as to allow a look down on the tank even easier. Do u have Felix brand or other 12 degree reflector that fits tje 500x's?

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback and experience. I may end up with just kessils, but the pure kessil look is not 110% my cup of tea.

The T5 mix and Reefbrite fill calms the shimmer and adds a look that i prefer. I think growth is just better under T5's too, not that that really matters as time evens that out.

I hear you on the light spill though from non 35 degree lights. I may just be fine with the spill though, or recess the t5's and reefbrites, and/or use some trim to act as barndoor reflectors.

@Kessil i have clam display refugium, that i want the lights even higher so as to allow a look down on the tank even easier. Do u have Felix brand or other 12 degree reflector that fits tje 500x's?

Nothing ready right now that can do that. I'll pass the feedback onto the dev team and see if that's something that might be worth building.

748S911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score

I thought the same thing at first before I tried all
Lighting options possible that shimmer was too much, but I’ve gotten used to it and now I’m team Kessil

The kessil shimmer looks the most natural to ocean shimmer on reef. I dive a lot and reminds me 2nd tank mid day shallow dives on the reef.

I’ve never had kessil products before the ax500.....I have always have set up my systems with metal halide/ t5 or full 8 bulb t5. (T5 growth is amazing).

All that being said everything else I added seemed unnecessary.

Can’t wait for pics of your build and progress!

Two salty thumbs up

Mywifeisgunnakillme

View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
I thought the same thing at first before I tried all
Lighting options possible that shimmer was too much, but I’ve gotten used to it and now I’m team Kessil

The kessil shimmer looks the most natural to ocean shimmer on reef. I dive a lot and reminds me 2nd tank mid day shallow dives on the reef.

I’ve never had kessil products before the ax500.....I have always have set up my systems with metal halide/ t5 or full 8 bulb t5. (T5 growth is amazing).

All that being said everything else I added seemed unnecessary.

Can’t wait for pics of your build and progress!

Two salty thumbs up
I hear you! I have three other tanks with kessils. Unfortunately the shimmer without reduction actually makes me feel sick to stomach, like a motion sickness kind of thing. My eyes just focus on it too much. It's fine for a glance but much longer, i need to dull it. Its kind of like when reading and flying or riding in a car.. i just nauseous... sux.

One of favorite looks is actually kind of cheap... kessil 160's and current orbit marine loop. The later are 100% programmable and actually provide an awesome pop. If they were not proprietary plugs, I'd consider them instead of reefbrites on the 200 gallon... 6 foot panels are relatively cheap..

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 55 57.9%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.1%
Corals.com