ANNOUNCING: The Kessil A500X Tuna Blue

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
I hear you! I have three other tanks with kessils. Unfortunately the shimmer without reduction actually makes me feel sick to stomach, like a motion sickness kind of thing. My eyes just focus on it too much. It's fine for a glance but much longer, i need to dull it. Its kind of like when reading and flying or riding in a car.. i just nauseous... sux.

One of favorite looks is actually kind of cheap... kessil 160's and current orbit marine loop. The later are 100% programmable and actually provide an awesome pop. If they were not proprietary plugs, I'd consider them instead of reefbrites on the 200 gallon... 6 foot panels are relatively cheap..
The shimmer can be controlled a bit with raising mounting height and adding / reducing surface agitation - if you want to play around with things. It sounds like you have a good solution with the current though, so we're of the opinion that if it's not broken, don't fix it!

HurricaneSystems

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been running the A500X for a few weeks now. The BRS video is totally wrong. Here are my initial numbers from the Apogee USB version of a friend's. I have an MQ-510 coming tomorrow and will do more tests at different intensity.

This light will absolutely cover a 36x36 area with SPS. No doubt about that.

The numbers below are at 30 Color and 70% intensity. Using Kessil mounting arm at the 10 setting.

405 PAR - 18 inches from lens - 8 inches under top of water.
300 PAR - 24 inches from lens - 14 inches under top of water.
236 PAR - 28 inches from lens - 16 inches under top of water.
230 PAR - Sandbed 32 inches from bottom of Kessil lens - 20 inches under top of water.

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have been running the A500X for a few weeks now. The BRS video is totally wrong. Here are my initial numbers from the Apogee USB version of a friend's. I have an MQ-510 coming tomorrow and will do more tests at different intensity.

The numbers below are at 30 Color and 70% intensity. Using Kessil mounting arm at the 10 setting.

230 PAR - Sandbed 32 inches from bottom of Kessil lens - 20 inches under top of water.
I thought their numbers were off and they tend to run them on the bluer side.
Keep us posted when you get the Apogee.

FunFishin24

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello fellow reefers. I have a 550 gallon bowfront tank (8’x3’x2’ on ends & 3’ in middle front/back). Rock wall on the back wall with some arches toward the front on the sand with a complete cove on the left.
E8ABCCC9-0747-45BF-9F87-3A255BD94602.jpeg

87955E7D-2651-4872-B5F0-382B647A4164.jpeg

I have been researching and looking for lights. With my set up what would y’all recommend? I’ve been leaning towards 3 or 4 a360x along the back where rock is higher and SPS will be close to light, and then 2 a500x kinda toward the front to get to deeper corals on sand?? Or would I be better with all a500x with a different approach? Room to mount at any height above tank up to 24”-30”. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HurricaneSystems

View Badges
Reaction score
I dont think 360s would be enough for SPS on that long of a tank unless they were close to the surface. If it were me, I would honestly 4, A500X and use the 55 degree included lens and start mounting them about 24 inches off the water and take some PAR readings. I currently have one over a small cube and it is a MONSTER! 4 of those would have you set right up. Actually thinking of selling my new A500X as it's way too much for my small cube lol. I love the light though. Check out my PAR values at 70% intensity.

30 Color, 70 Intensity, 55 degree lens. Kessil mounted using the Kessil mounting arm and the arm set at 10. The water surface is 18 inches from the lens.

470 PAR - 18 inches from lens - 8 inches under top of water.
370 PAR - 24 inches from lens - 14 inches under top of water.
320 PAR - 28 inches from lens - 16 inches under top of water.
300 PAR - Sandbed 32 inches from bottom of Kessil lens - 20 inches under top of water.

Woops, thought this was a new thread, I had already posted numbers. Haha.

FunFishin24

View Badges
Reaction score
I dont think 360s would be enough for SPS on that long of a tank unless they were close to the surface. If it were me, I would honestly 4, A500X and use the 55 degree included lens and start mounting them about 24 inches off the water and take some PAR readings. I currently have one over a small cube and it is a MONSTER! 4 of those would have you set right up. Actually thinking of selling my new A500X as it's way too much for my small cube lol. I love the light though. Check out my PAR values at 70% intensity.

30 Color, 70 Intensity, 55 degree lens. Kessil mounted using the Kessil mounting arm and the arm set at 10. The water surface is 18 inches from the lens.

300 PAR - Sandbed 32 inches from bottom of Kessil lens - 20 inches under top of water.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I saw your par numbers (thanks for the info), but that’s kinda what got me thinking of the 360 toward the back with the 500 up front. I’m don’t wanna cook the SPS up high, while trying to reach corals on the sand with the 500’s. Don’t know if that would happen but that was my fear. Maybe I’ll start with 4-a500’s like you suggested and go from there. Thanks.

HurricaneSystems

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey there,

So the reason I suggested 4 of the A500X, is because if you did add the 360s and the 500s, you would be cooking everything. The A500X has a wide spread with the 55 degree lens and a crazy wide spread with no lens. So you could definitely adjust the 500 to meet your needs up top as well as the bottom since you have an unlimited mounting height.

Heck, you could even add the 35 degree lens and mount them 48 to 60 inches high and achieve that as well. Don't be afraid of them, you can adjust to perfect PAR by changing the height and intensity of course. Theynwill cover the tank, front to back, so don't worry about that either.

FunFishin24

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey there,

So the reason I suggested 4 of the A500X, is because if you did add the 360s and the 500s, you would be cooking everything. The A500X has a wide spread with the 55 degree lens and a crazy wide spread with no lens. So you could definitely adjust the 500 to meet your needs up top as well as the bottom since you have an unlimited mounting height.

Heck, you could even add the 35 degree lens and mount them 48 to 60 inches high and achieve that as well. Don't be afraid of them, you can adjust to perfect PAR by changing the height and intensity of course. Theynwill cover the tank, front to back, so don't worry about that either.
That makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Greatly appreciate the info. I’ve done a lot of research on them but just wasn’t to sure.

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score

230 PAR - Sandbed 32 inches from bottom of Kessil lens - 20 inches under top I've been thinking about using just a single A500X for my Innovative Marine 112 EXt. Tank measures 36 x 36 x 19.

I'm a Kessil fan! Always had good growth with them under my previous tank when paired with a Hybrid T5 fixture. Looking for lighting options now for a Innovative Marine 112 EXT. Tank measures 36 x 36 x 19. Think I could get away with a single A500X for now, then maybe supplement with T5's or reefbrites later???

Sparky27

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm a Kessil fan! Always had good growth with them under my previous tank when paired with a Hybrid T5 fixture. Looking for lighting options now for a Innovative Marine 112 EXT. Tank measures 36 x 36 x 19. Think I could get away with a single A500X for now, then maybe supplement with T5's or reefbrites later???
Same tank.

Had I known the A500x was coming out I would have waited and went with that and the hybrid T5 fixture with the 24” endcaps.

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am guessing this means we can have an a360X and an a500X on the same dongle but just linked with another USB cable?
Yes, just connected with the K-link cable. You can create groups and control the lights on their own schedule/presets. I believe you can have up to 30 or so lights strung together.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

How big is your small cube? I was also thinking about using this light on a cube

underthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does adding more Kessil's to your tank help reduce shimmering by adding more points of light source shining down into the tank? Ex: going from 3 to 4 kessils on a 6 ft long tank. I don't want to add an additional light like t5 or reefbrite led bars if I can avoid it because it will take away from the clean look the kessils currently give me. But would like a little less shimmer.

minus9

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does adding more Kessil's to your tank help reduce shimmering by adding more points of light source shining down into the tank? Ex: going from 3 to 4 kessils on a 6 ft long tank. I don't want to add an additional light like t5 or reefbrite led bars if I can avoid it because it will take away from the clean look the kessils currently give me. But would like a little less shimmer.
Try increasing the color to a more white appearance, at least 35% will reduce the shimmer.

HurricaneSystems

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry, been busy this week. It's a 40 Cube. The light is way overkill for it. I actually only used it for about 2 weeks and have it basically new in the box right now. I have a new Gen5 Radion Pro on it at the minute. Just seeing which one I want to run on it.

I can tell you that the Kessil SCORCHED my purple bonsai acro frag and turned it dark green lol. I didn't have a PAR meter when I first received it and I thought 70% sounded safe for an Acro. Wrong! It was pumping almost 500 PAR in that area. Guess the acro wasn't used to that much.

I have it under the Radion currently and have that 8 inches off the water and set at 45% intensity. It gets about 250-275 PAR and is coloring back up nicely.

Had some cosmetic issues with the Radion when I received it from BRS, it is kind of beat up and used looking as new. It wasn't, but Ecotech's QC is lacking. BRS has offered to refund or swap it, thanks @BRS so not sure what I will do, probably swap.

Any other questions feel free to ask or post here.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I went the opposite, put a 500x on a reefer 170. Raised it to 11 inches. I have a par meter, going to check it shortly. The WiFi dongle comes in tomorrow. I like the height between the screen top and light. Easy to work in tank. Totally different look than the Radion G5 Pro. I also like the ease of turning 2 knobs, whiter-bluer, intensity. Shimmer look is amazing!

HurricaneSystems

View Badges
Reaction score
I went the opposite, put a 500x on a reefer 170. Raised it to 11 inches. I have a par meter, going to check it shortly. The WiFi dongle comes in tomorrow. I like the height between the screen top and light. Easy to work in tank. Totally different look than the Radion G5 Pro. I also like the ease of turning 2 knobs, whiter-bluer, intensity. Shimmer look is amazing!
DH,

What corals are you keeping under it and what lens? It does look fantastic, I just put mine back up to send Radion for replacement. It is a 100% totally different look.

Last edited:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
DH,

What corals are you keeping under it and what lens? It does look fantastic, I just put mine back up to send Radion for replacement. It is a 100% totally different look.
SPS, LPS, mimosa clam. I’m using the 55 lens since the tank is so small.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The Radion G5 Pro with the diffuser I set at 45-50%. Even though I own a par meter, I didn’t chase high numbers, I watched the coral. Right now the 500x is set towards bluer, 100-110 . I’ll either up the intensity or lower the light a bit, definitely watching coral. This light is so easy to adjust the height. So far I’m loving it, different look, so natural.

Do you think there are benefits to turning your skimmer off for periods of time?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 57 26.6%
  • NO

Votes: 67 31.3%
  • Maybe but not sure

Votes: 84 39.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums