OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
We shipped out a pretty large shipment of A500X units late last week, so they're showing back up in stock online and at your favorite Local Fish Store - if you've been waiting, the wait is over!

In the meantime, more reviews are rolling on in - check this one out. 3 A500X units to replace 3 DE Metal Halide bulbs. (spoiler alert, it's a great light ;))

A500X Review.PNG

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just received the dongle today. Very easy to connect to WiFi and the app is very easy to use. Kessil gets my vote.
Update to my opinion… I’m seeing colors pulled that I didn’t see with the G5 Pro. Was a fantastic decision, very easy to use. To be fair maybe it was the ab+ programming, IDK. Kessil 500x is definitely working some magic.

HurricaneSystems

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
On board!
Just replaced a six bulb t5 ati unit with the A500x. Using 2xsb blue reefbars on either side, each @85 watts. Started A500x at 30% color, 60% intensity. Hard to get a decent photo, but overall, seeing positive results.
20210809_125250.jpg
Hey Perry,

Congrats on your new A500X! Be really careful with the intensity on that fixture. Amy idea what PAR you were getting previously with your T5?

At 70% intensity, 30 Color and a 55 degree lens I was 18 inches from lens to top of the water and 8 inches below that. A total of 26 inches from lens and 8 of that was under water. I was getting 470 PAR.

That's A LOT of PAR to throw on corals from a pointed light source. Your T5 was broader in coverage and this Kessil is pointed and VERY powerful.

Just watch your corals and make sure any SPS doesn't start turning green from too much PAR.

Would love to hear a follow up later on.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey Perry,

Congrats on your new A500X! Be really careful with the intensity on that fixture. Amy idea what PAR you were getting previously with your T5?

At 70% intensity, 30 Color and a 55 degree lens I was 18 inches from lens to top of the water and 8 inches below that. A total of 26 inches from lens and 8 of that was under water. I was getting 470 PAR.

That's A LOT of PAR to throw on corals from a pointed light source. Your T5 was broader in coverage and this Kessil is pointed and VERY powerful.

Just watch your corals and make sure any SPS doesn't start turning green from too much PAR.

Would love to hear a follow up later on.

Hello,
Thank you for the heads up! I started at 10" above water, and 50% intensity a week ago. I have acros starting 10" below that. I am using 2 sbreefbars on either side as well, @85watts a piece. The current setting of the A500x is 40% color, and 60% intensity. This current setting is showing crazy good results in a week! Only one acro is complaining, but it's been stalled out, and never really took off to begin with(RMF Red Devil Nasuta). I study my corals many times per day, I know the stress signs of acros, and they seem very happy. My tank is 36"x24"x24. Wow, is really all I can say :)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello,
Thank you for the heads up! I started at 10" above water, and 50% intensity a week ago. I have acros starting 10" below that. I am using 2 sbreefbars on either side as well, @85watts a piece. The current setting of the A500x is 40% color, and 60% intensity. This current setting is showing crazy good results in a week! Only one acro is complaining, but it's been stalled out, and never really took off to begin with(RMF Red Devil Nasuta). I study my corals many times per day, I know the stress signs of acros, and they seem very happy. My tank is 36"x24"x24. Wow, is really all I can say :)
Mine also showed great results in a couple days, still going strong. I adjusted it to 10” on arm, SPS are about 10” under waterline. Light is set at 43-48% intensity at 23-28% color, I like the bluer tone. Using the 55 adapter over a reefer170. No coral are complaining. Granulosa are pulling color that weren’t there previously. Tenuis are either holding color or improving, growth is improving all the time. I’m impressed with this light and spectrum it produces. Being a small light doesn’t hurt either.

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Have them on the tank I setup about 2.5 weeks ago. So far I’m pretty happy with the way they look, but we’ll see how the do with SPS long term. I am already seeing a tort starting to encrust over superglue so that’s a good sign; also have a few others with new growth on the tips.

Vide with the A500Xvat about 50-60% with 55 degree reflectors.

Day time shot at 4pm (50-60%)
B15F2764-84DC-4348-8541-3C697B57A1F6.jpeg

Evening shots
92A4F5AA-DE10-4313-877E-C421B30447A2.jpeg

F4E032E1-6411-49B3-80EA-B4FAF9AA20FC.jpeg

Baking corals at 100% for a few hours a day. Will probably continue to extend the higher intensity period (75%+) to 8-10 hours. I also run the spectrum pretty white; haven’t played with the color too much but this was as about white as I could get it.
35DE3FD5-3BFD-41F7-BE6B-0A0289A64BE4.png

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Will you ever make a Tuna Sun variant?
It's something we're looking in to. For now, the A360X with the Reflector-35 is a good solution for the higher intensity requirements. If you have a specific, custom tank or project in mind, shoot us a DM and we'll see what we can do.

Will this light be controlled by apex?
Yes! If you missed yesterdays announcement, the WiFi Dongle can now link to the Apex Fusion app. As we only got about 2 months of beta testing with the A500X, there may be some bugs we haven't found yet, but it's ready to go as of now via Fusion! More details can be found here - Kessil / Neptune IOTA User Guide

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's something we're looking in to. For now, the A360X with the Reflector-35 is a good solution for the higher intensity requirements. If you have a specific, custom tank or project in mind, shoot us a DM and we'll see what we can do.

Yes! If you missed yesterdays announcement, the WiFi Dongle can now link to the Apex Fusion app. As we only got about 2 months of beta testing with the A500X, there may be some bugs we haven't found yet, but it's ready to go as of now via Fusion! More details can be found here - Kessil / Neptune IOTA User Guide
Don’t forget about Hydros! :)

Buckeye