Annularis Angel with cloudy eyes

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Annularis Angel I have had in a 180g for QT for about a month, with an Emperor and Dejardini tang. There is also a snowflake eel and Panther Grouper. Yesterday i thought the Annularis had an eye that looked little cloudy. This evening I went to feed and it looks like this. I know he received a FW dip at the fish store and was there 2 weeks before I took him home. He's been in my tank since Dec 28th.

Pictures are of each eye. He ate yesterday, but today he hasn't really moved from the corner.

annularis1.jpg

annularis2.jpg

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wondering if i freshwater dip him or treat with some antibiotics. I have several available (will have to look) but what do you think?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one eye is looking like this? If so, first try dosing Epsom salt (USP grade - no fragrances) @ 1 tablespoon per 5 gals to help relieve the swelling.

If that doesn't help after 2-3 days, then you'll probably need to use an antibiotic (erythromycin works best for eye infections).

Does the eye look anything like this (flukes):

Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg
asfur0eye.jpg

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything that looks like your picture i will try to see if he's back where I can see him in a bit, but it is both eyes one swollen and the other just cloudy. The grouper came out of his cave (thought I was going to feed him) and everyone moved positions in the tank. He is currently swimming in the back of the tank where I can't get a good look

I found an article about pH and cloudy eyes in large angles. Checked and my pH was 7.5 to 7.7 on my 3 test kits (red sea, Salifer and API) I use the API first to see if anything is out of wack, then use the other two for more accuracy. I used some seachem reef buffer to up the pH some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a good look at him tonight, and I did some more reading found your thread on flukes and antibiotics. Fish doesn't appear to be flashing or itchy. I do not see flukes in the eyes, but I have a black light and thought maybe I saw some on the body. I looked over the emperor as well (he kept coming around the Annularis) and might see some on him. I am going to try to catch one in the AM (wish me luck) and do a freshwater dip to see if any flukes fall off. I saw nothing on the Dejardini or Grouper.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK it's flukes, emperor has them for sure, got a much better look with the lights on. Have some RODI heating to tank temperature and buffer for the water.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Parizipro running (skimmer and Carbon are removed) and I added an air stone to each side of the tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Parizipro running (skimmer and Carbon are removed) and I added an air stone to each side of the tank.

Awesome. Keep a close eye on them and do a water change 48 hours after you did the first dose. Wait 5-7 days then do it again. keep us posted.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK it's flukes, emperor has them for sure, got a much better look with the lights on. Have some RODI heating to tank temperature and buffer for the water.

Glad to hear you've got the ailment and medication needed figured out. That's half the battle. ;)

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS was awesome, getting me the medication. We're not 100% sure if the Annularis has a secondary bacterial infection, but it looks like it. One of the owners lives near me and is coming by tomorrow morning to take a look on his way to work.

On a size note, can I put the epsom salt in with the Parzaipro to help with the swelling?

Oh and Thank you all for the advice and the links here were a great help!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS was awesome, getting me the medication. We're not 100% sure if the Annularis has a secondary bacterial infection, but it looks like it. One of the owners lives near me and is coming by tomorrow morning to take a look on his way to work.

On a size note, can I put the epsom salt in with the Parzaipro to help with the swelling?

Oh and Thank you all for the advice and the links here were a great help!
Yes you can do them concurrently.
I might also add that the eye looks infected and treating that will likely be necessary to save the eye. If you mix all of those meds, an airstone and powerhead aimed at surface will be needed as oxygen will deplete and it’s likely to cause a bacterial bloom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two airstones on each end of the tank under power heads to dispurse the bubbles and i can add 4 more airlines off the pump I have. It really agitates the surface. I agree the eye looks infected. How long does it take the Parzaipro to knock the flukes off?

Plan right now is for a water change Friday, treat the eye, then another round of Parzaipro, but if I can safely run the antibiotic with the Parzaipro i'd like to do that. The local fish store has seachem Kanaplex, Metroplex, Neoplex, focus and sulfaplex. Any recommendations if those are my options? I know Humblefish recommended erythromycin, any recommendations on which one to get?

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would something like Dr. G's Anti Bacterial Caviar be OK or better at this time (since the fish are eating).

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks, on a good note the Emperor is eating and looks much better today. The Dejardini, Eel and Grouper all show no ill effects and ate as usual. The Annularis is swimming a bit more staying on the left side of the tank in a 2' area. He is not eating today, the swelling has decreased in the right eye, but both still look bad. I got some fresh garlic guard and seachem vitality to add to their food on the way to work.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish update - left eye has cleared about 30% from yesterday, the right eye still looks bad, he's not eating yet. Everyone else is doing well.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment update -- Today I did a 50 gallon water change and hooked up a carbon reactor to remove any remaining Parzaipro. Tomorrow I will cut off the skimmer and reactor and do a full dose of antibiotics for 3 days, then turn the carbon and skimmer back on for 24 and do another round of Parzaipro.

Fish Update - The Emperor, Dejardini, Eel and Grouper are all eating like champs and look great. The Annularis was interested in the Dr G's antibiotic food and got a piece or two, his right eye almost looks like it has improved and his left eye is almost clear. I saw him swimming around the tank and eating algae off the back wall so things are looking up.

I appreciate all the help and advice. Please let me know if my above plan can be improved or is flawed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back