Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great have had mine since release and just noticed it is cracked every hole. Ridiculous and last time I buy this garbage.
Without all the threads talking about this issue, I'll bet you would have never looked or seen them.
I wouldn't have, but having seen one post about it last week, made me look at mine in the box. It took a magnifying glass to see mine. Then a macro picture with my phone.
This is a small design error. How they correct it, is what is going to show people how great the customer service can be.

And yes, my original outrage has cooled somewhat.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without all the threads talking about this issue, I'll bet you would have never looked or seen them.
I wouldn't have, but having seen one post about it last week, made me look at mine in the box. It took a magnifying glass to see mine. Then a macro picture with my phone.
This is a small design error. How they correct it, is what is going to show people how great the customer service can be.

And yes, my original outrage has cooled somewhat.

It just sucks man, all that money and you expect perfection. But I agree, if I wouldn’t of seen this I never would of checked. Now my ocd is going bonkers lol. Hopefully they get back to every one and handle it like I hope they will. Looks like I might be learning to work on high end lights

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just sucks man, all that money and you expect perfection. But I agree, if I wouldn’t of seen this I never would of checked. Now my ocd is going bonkers lol. Hopefully they get back to every one and handle it like I hope they will. Looks like I might be learning to work on high end lights
They will, open the case with ecotech after registering your light, if you haven't already, and they'll get back to asap. Mine took a day tops to get handled, I'm just waiting on the tracking for the updated case. There is a video in the support section that walks you through the repair, it's straight forward. ETM stands behind their products.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They responded back to me the next day asking for photos or a brief video. Then asked for my details and a copy of the receipt. Once I sent that they responded that day advising they will send 4 kits to replace the covers that also come with the tool.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they just sending exact replacement cases or a redesign? It could be they were over torqued or it may be due to the heating and cooling cycles, or they need metal inserts. Either way they sure missed the boat with their verification prior to release to production, too many have these issues for a new release and a huge black eye even if it does not affect operation.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they just sending exact replacement cases or a redesign? It could be they were over torqued or it may be due to the heating and cooling cycles, or they need metal inserts. Either way they sure missed the boat with their verification prior to release to production, too many have these issues for a new release and a huge black eye even if it does not affect operation.
It's a redesign. The flaw was that the case didn't sit flush, so when the screws were tightened it sucked the case further than was supposed to go causing it to warp. The updated design has the same case with a captured screw with a spacer to take up the difference needed.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like this is pretty common issue with the new gen 5's.
I received 3 new gen 5 XR30's on Thursday.
I opened up the boxes and all 3 lights had cracks in the case around the bottom bolts.
I've had pretty good luck with ETM products in the past so I was too worried about getting the issue resolved.
I called ETM Friday morning and spoke with a rep.
He seemed to be very sympathetic and agreed that this needed to be resolved right away.
He did ask for pictures and proof of purchase which is normal.
I told him that replacement was what I wanted, and I asked him to make sure that the replacement lights would be inspected before shipping them out. He agreed.
Later that afternoon I received a email from ETM and it stated that new cases were going to be sent out and that I had to repair the lights myself. He also sent a link to a video he said would show me how to do the repairs.
(I had a issue with my new Jeep Wrangler's transmission right after I bought it. I'm glad they didn't take this attitude.)

Some people may be ok with this sort of customer service, but I am not.
I paid $2520 for 3 lights and I expected them to be perfect right out of the box.
I have never had Ecotec products but I have had many problems with Aqua illumination. I mention this because I know the company's have merged. The customer service at Aqua illumination is the worst I have ever experienced. I would highly recommend to stay away from there products

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had Ecotec products but I have had many problems with Aqua illumination. I mention this because I know the company's have merged. The customer service at Aqua illumination is the worst I have ever experienced. I would highly recommend to stay away from there products
Regardless of them merging, ETM is NOT Ai, and ETM backs their product.

Wotarush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened up the boxes and all 3 lights had cracks in the case around the bottom bolts.
I've had pretty good luck with ETM products in the past so I was too worried about getting the issue resolved.
He seemed to be very sympathetic and agreed that this needed to be resolved right away.
I told him that replacement was what I wanted, and I asked him to make sure that the replacement lights would be inspected before shipping them out. He agreed.
Later that afternoon I received a email from ETM and it stated that new cases were going to be sent out and that I had to repair the lights myself. He also sent a link to a video he said would show me how to do the repairs.
(I had a issue with my new Jeep Wrangler's transmission right after I bought it. I'm glad they didn't take this attitude.)

I paid $2520 for 3 lights and I expected them to be perfect right out of the box.
I have had the same problem in the UK, also the lights fan was stuck on permanently, but they sent a replacement a couple of weeks later, but they have issues with lots of things with these new Gen5s

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem in the UK, also the lights fan was stuck on permanently, but they sent a replacement a couple of weeks later, but they have issues with lots of things with these new Gen5s
I'd hardly call it lots of things... Maybe just stop blowing it out of proportion, file your claim with ETM and be happy you have an otherwise good light.

Wotarush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hardly call it lots of things... Maybe just stop blowing it out of proportion, file your claim with ETM and be happy you have an otherwise good light.
I think paying £735, for a light, that sounds like a jet engine in your lounge, which completely spoilt my time watching the display tank, was not what I expected, I removed it, then noticed the cracked casing where the bolts held it together, it would not connect to Blue tooth, so disappointed was understandable on my purchase, what I did was contact the supplier and they exchanged it. I think you are missing the point. After reading many forums, I believe the light should have been product tested more, there is obviously some issue with some of the batches they sent out for public consumers, I have ran Radions for years, and never had a problem with them, or any of there products, I offered my experience with the new Gen5,
Thankyou

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love all the replies that insinuate “shut up and color, be happy ETM sold you a light”. I love their lights as much as anyone else. But 5 minutes out of the box for a $900 light and we are now tech agents dismantling the light is just unacceptable to me. To charge a premium means quality control better be high on their list. Which it hasn’t after a few G4 lights I have owned. Customer service has blown me off for each defect I brought up to them, quickly telling me it’s normal And they won’t do anything about it until I have my retailer step in. No loyalty anymore, best overall build quality/CS experience now wins my money.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the replies that insinuate “shut up and color, be happy ETM sold you a light”. I love their lights as much as anyone else. But 5 minutes out of the box for a $900 light and we are now tech agents dismantling the light is just unacceptable to me. To charge a premium means quality control better be high on their list. Which it hasn’t after a few G4 lights I have owned. Customer service has blown me off for each defect I brought up to them, quickly telling me it’s normal And they won’t do anything about it until I have my retailer step in. No loyalty anymore, best overall build quality/CS experience now wins my money.

If you can put together a reef tank setup, you should be able to pull 4 screws and replace a cover. If not, might want to consider another hobby. Granted it's unfortunate, but it happens with most new production model goods(cars, computers, video game systems, new houses, furnaces, air conditioners). The list goes on. Do you stop buying those products, or do you take them in and have them fixed. Simple solution to a minor problem. I highly doubt Ecotech blew you off, they resolved the matter with my lights in about 7 minutes, and the same for most others. No one said shut up, geta old hearing people whine like a bunch a babies and beat a dead horse for something as stupid as a cosmetic issue. Times have changed, nothing is made to the quality we'd all expect these days, most parts are outsourced. If this was an issue that affected the function of your light, it be a little more justifiable to pull business from a company. We get it, you're going with a different company. Good luck!

Wotarush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can put together a reef tank setup, you should be able to pull 4 screws and replace a cover. If not, might want to consider another hobby. Granted it's unfortunate, but it happens with most new production model goods(cars, computers, video game systems, new houses, furnaces, air conditioners). The list goes on. Do you stop buying those products, or do you take them in and have them fixed. Simple solution to a minor problem. I highly doubt Ecotech blew you off, they resolved the matter with my lights in about 7 minutes, and the same for most others. No one said shut up, geta old hearing people whine like a bunch a babies and beat a dead horse for something as stupid as a cosmetic issue. Times have changed, nothing is made to the quality we'd all expect these days, most parts are outsourced. If this was an issue that affected the function of your light, it be a little more justifiable to pull business from a company. We get it, you're going with a different company. Good luck!
It wasn't a cosmetic issue, it wouldn't connect to Blue tooth, so had no control, and the fan was stuck on 100% fan speed, but like I said exchange was done and happy now.
But Cost should be better, and they admitted issues with batches of their lights.
Thankyou

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

You highly doubt Ecotech blew me off? Were you on a 3-way call for each one of my lights? Any idea what the defects were? Having a retailer step in saying this isn’t the first time? Speculate much? Whiny babies? It always amazes me how easy it is to belittle someone via keyboard. Bring that comment to me face to face, I’m only one state away.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are absolutely right. What type of company asks you to fix something. That is ridiculous

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You highly doubt Ecotech blew me off? Were you on a 3-way call for each one of my lights? Any idea what the defects were? Having a retailer step in saying this isn’t the first time? Speculate much? Whiny babies? It always amazes me how easy it is to belittle someone via keyboard. Bring that comment to me face to face, I’m only one state away.

Belittle you?? Hmm, a little oversensitive don't you think?? Take it with a grain of salt, I'd give the same answer to your face despite who you think you are, if that was a feasible option. My comment wasn't directed to you personally, calm down, no reason to get combative over disagreeing opinions. LOL, you call me a keyboard warrior as you try to instigate a meeting over differing opinions. This is life, there's bigger issues to get your undies in a bind over...

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely right. What type of company asks you to fix something. That is ridiculous
The reason they choose to have the customer fix it, is the same reason every other business is dealing with right now. Lack of employees due to covid-19 and being short staffed. Same with their suppliers that build the parts we need. Second, id rather pull the four screws and fix it myself, than send my light out for who knows how long, and be w/o a light over my tank, as it is needed. so to recap, i believe they're trying to avoid a bunch of fellow reefers being w/o lights for an extended period of time, and B) maybe they don't have the workforce during this time to support who knows how many light updates.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason they choose to have the customer fix it, is the same reason every other business is dealing with right now. Lack of employees due to covid-19 and being short staffed. Same with their suppliers that build the parts we need. Second, id rather pull the four screws and fix it myself, than send my light out for who knows how long, and be w/o a light over my tank, as it is needed. so to recap, i believe they're trying to avoid a bunch of fellow reefers being w/o lights for an extended period of time, and B) maybe they don't have the workforce during this time to support who knows how many light updates.
I had a similar issue (a year ago) with a company I bought from frequently. Just poor service unbelievably poor service and after reading this review I will not try or buy these lights or their products either

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Belittle you?? Hmm, a little oversensitive don't you think?? Take it with a grain of salt, I'd give the same answer to your face despite who you think you are, if that was a feasible option. My comment wasn't directed to you personally, calm down, no reason to get combative over disagreeing opinions. LOL, you call me a keyboard warrior as you try to instigate a meeting over differing opinions. This is life, there's bigger issues to get your undies in a bind over...

Do you even read what you write? Look up the definition of belittle. I have been on this forum for a while and have been cordial to everyone. You, not so much.....Not sure if you work for ETM or are just a troll... You may say what you wrote to my face, but it won’t go unanswered. I have met your type many a time...more bark than bite. The invite still stands when this pandemic is over. Send me a pm, we can continue this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back