Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, I'm not an Ecotech employee, and I was quite upset myself to find out a Light of such high $$$ amount should have these issues, including multiples of mine. But come on, lets be real, we all know when new production vehicles are released, there is always a slew of issues, whether large or small, that us as consumers deal with(recalls.) but guess what people still go out and buy the latest models, and work through the issues. Again, i was upset also, but they're fixing it and we will carry on. Its just amazing how quick/easy it is for everyone to jump on and bash a company, but will not post anything positive. And come Hell or highwater, anyone disagree to try and calm the water, you have internet Bada**'s that feel the need to show their Flex.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously, I'm not an Ecotech employee, and I was quite upset myself to find out a Light of such high $$$ amount should have these issues, including multiples of mine. But come on, lets be real, we all know when new production vehicles are released, there is always a slew of issues, whether large or small, that us as consumers deal with(recalls.) but guess what people still go out and buy the latest models, and work through the issues. Again, i was upset also, but they're fixing it and we will carry on. Its just amazing how quick/easy it is for everyone to jump on and bash a company, but will not post anything positive. And come Hell or highwater, anyone disagree to try and calm the water, you have internet Bada**'s that feel the need to show their Flex.

Your tone has changed...If you read my post, you would see where I said I love their lights. A repetitive theme of poor CS gives me the right to be upset. Belittling is showing flex. Again, PM me and we will carry on this conversation.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you even read what you write? Look up the definition of belittle. I have been on this forum for a while and have been cordial to everyone. You, not so much.....Not sure if you work for ETM or are just a troll... You may say what you wrote to my face, but it won’t go unanswered. I have met your type many a time...more bark than bite. The invite still stands when this pandemic is over. Send me a pm, we can continue this conversation.
I'm done arguing with you.. You clearly want to just argue and justify your response as a mature solution to our differing opinions. As a result you feel the need a face to face meeting is necessary??? Why would you feel the need for me to waste your/my time to meet face to face for me to tell you what?? My blanket statement of "Whiny Babies?" As i said, if it WAS a worthy trip, which its not, my answer would remain the same, and again was not directed at you personally. It is what it is, we disagree, that's life, many disagreements and different opinions. Not to mention very easy to take a text conversation out of context. No need to threaten someone you've never met over it. I tell my 12 and 6 year old the same thing daily, and quite honestly they give me a more mature, non threatening response... Good luck with your Light repair, I hope they resolve your matter in the same fashion they did mine.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fact of the matter is when you spend $900 on something as simple as a light you expect a great quality and design. Even if customer service is good, when you spend a premium price you shouldn’t have to need customer service. A one of issue is one thing, but a problem in half the lights is another

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fact of the matter is when you spend $900 on something as simple as a light you expect a great quality and design. Even if customer service is good, when you spend a premium price you shouldn’t have to need customer service. A one of issue is one thing, but a problem in half the lights is another
I'm not at all disagreeing with your statement. I just disagree with the need for SOME, not all people jumping on and totally bashing a company. My lights had the same issue, i was ticked as well, Ecotech resolved the issue, and I'm moving on. I understand we all handle things differently, Clearly

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Best thing to do isn’t to publicly bash, just vote with your wallet and don’t buy any more products from them. I do understand the frustration though.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm done arguing with you.. You clearly want to just argue and justify your response as a mature solution to our differing opinions. As a result you feel the need a face to face meeting is necessary??? Why would you feel the need for me to waste your/my time to meet face to face for me to tell you what?? My blanket statement of "Whiny Babies?" As i said, if it WAS a worthy trip, which its not, my answer would remain the same, and again was not directed at you personally. It is what it is, we disagree, that's life, many disagreements and different opinions. Not to mention very easy to take a text conversation out of context. No need to threaten someone you've never met over it. I tell my 12 and 6 year old the same thing daily, and quite honestly they give me a more mature, non threatening response... Good luck with your Light repair, I hope they resolve your matter in the same fashion they did mine.

A more mature response? Don’t let your kids read your previous posts when they are older. My parents taught me early on to think before you speak. I’m old school. I wouldn’t let anyone insult me face to face and the internet should be no different.

Last edited:

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure I have been using EcoTech for over a decade. I saw the receipt of a part from early 2009 the other day when cleaning out a filing cabinet.

I had fan issues in the first and second-gen Radion and was sent replacements and helped to get them right. I have had zero issues with their devices since my Vetra, which gets flaky and goes offline without warning. They even wanted to send me a new one. Now that I think about it when one of my Radion overheated from the fan issue they swapped it out for another one. I live not that far from them so things get here in a day or two.

I have one main beef with EcoTech: proprietary daughter cards, APIs, and other closed systems. I really wish they'd come to realize that a lot of people are maker/hacker/whatever these days and with the advent of a 20$ unix computer and commonality of i2c, 0-10v, and other systems publishing the pin and com spec for their daughter card, the reeflink, or even just exposing APIs like nearly everything else in my home these days (even the darn washing machine has APIs!). Then I could enter feed mode, get alerts, and do other things across my tank systems. Why not push the firmware of reeflink to github? The majority of people are still going to buy one vs. hack one together.

That said: EcoTech is in the top 5 customer support companies out there. Especially in the fish world where I can list at least 10 ripoff artists out there (um, Top Lids has been "working" on a top for nearly a year...I gave up I think they are really a Nigeria scammer operation at this point).

Be kind to smaller manufacturers...without them, we'd be using junk from Alibaba that catches your homes on fire....

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why a lot of people are angry with ETM on the Gen 5. ETM didn’t really official promoted the light at any big gathering events like for examples Reeflapoloza or MACNA. The only information that I had seen are from Youtube videos made by retailers and youtubers claiming the fan to be quieter, but in reality it’s louder than the previous model. Using and connecting with Mobius would be a breeze, but the truth is the App is really in beta. Why wouldn’t ETM allow access to other Ecotech devices that have the modules already inside to be able to connect to Mobius? I have to admit I had saw all the youtube videos before it was released for purchase and convinced to buy the Gen 5. After dealing with it for over a month when the fixture was available to the public I felt disappointed and misinformed about the product.

akrite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy made that video after I had asked him if he noticed any popping noise from his fixture. We both contacted ETM, but both got different answers . When i had contacted ETM, I was told it if the LED is working than it’s normal and didn’t even ask to do a visual check on the fixture. My buddy was told to check the screws if it were loose. He went to check and found out the housing was cracked at the screws and all the screws to the optic lenses were loose as well. I went to check on mine and sure enough the same thing. We were both told because the company was shut down by covid 19 we will get the replacement housing as soon as the state allow them to do so. I have been very patience and understanding of the whole situation to this point. I would be not be happy whenever the replacement parts get shipped out and if it still get cracked after replacing it.
I feel for those of you who spent a lot of money on ETMs latest and greatest LED light but can someone tell me what kind of skimmer is in this video?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim at EcoTech

You really might want to tell your support staff to lighten up and stop making people jump through hoops to get the repair parts. Most everyone is already bending over to take care of a problem that never should have been shipped or should have been repaired or replaced in a timely manner by ETM. We won't even go into the absolutely horrid app and the Bluetooth that only occasionally works.
I put in a ticket with a full detailed receipt from BRS but that was not good enough. Had to supply each serial number and they wanted pictures of all the cracks. I'm using a cell phone camera and you know how hard it is to get the cracks to show in a picture on that black material. I got a couple mediocre pics where if you look close you can see the cracks. Its bad enough I have to take my lights down and repair them but not going to do it to appease your support staff. If I don't get an acceptable response from your support staff this time (and the parts in the mail) then we go a different route.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing this to my attention so I can update our internal procedure as I'm working dynamically to keep the situation running smooth. We do request serial numbers for warranty situations, and that should be all you need to provide for this problem when you contact CS. I'll update the procedure to eliminate our request for pictures.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing this to my attention so I can update our internal procedure as I'm working dynamically to keep the situation running smooth. We do request serial numbers for warranty situations, and that should be all you need to provide for this problem when you contact CS. I'll update the procedure to eliminate our request for pictures.
Thank you...

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed cracks today in my G5 Blue, I did reach out to Ecotech with an Email at 10am, by 2pm they reached out with the solution that they will mail me, they also have a how to change it out. Sure this is an inconvenience but they stood but their product in short time, once again ecotech customer service delivers.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have merged this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back