Another cycling question

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I started cycling my tank on 1-19-23, and figured I’d reach out to see if what I’m doing is correct.

Im using Dr. Tim’s one and only in a 40 gallon tank (36 gallons of actual water)

yesterday I put in ammonia (I’ve been dosing it when it gets to zero) at around 1ppm, was shooting for 2ppm, but apparently the same measurement comes out as different readings on my API test (they suck I know).

Anyways, as it sits this morning, about 12 hours later, I have around .25 ppm ammonia in my tank.

I figured since I only got 1ppm of ammonia added that it should be able to clear it in 12 hours not 24.

Also there’s a spike in nitrites as one would expect.

A couple questions from me:

Does it matter that I only dosed 1 ppm and it almost cleared it in 12 hours.

How long should nitrites take to clear? 24 hours or 48 hours?

Should I continue to dose? At what point is it ready for fish?

I’ll be patient for as long as it takes I just want to understand more of what I’m looking for.

My temps are 80f
Salinity is 1.024
PH 7.9

thanks!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never dosed multiple times as all you’re really doing is adding nitrates at that point. If your seeing ammonia rise to 1ppm down to .25 in a night consider your tank cycled do a large enough waterchange to bring your nitrates down to 5/10 and you’re good to go slowly.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never dosed multiple times as all you’re really doing is adding nitrates at that point. If your seeing ammonia rise to 1ppm down to .25 in a night consider your tank cycled do a large enough waterchange to bring your nitrates down to 5/10 and you’re good to go slowly.
So good to start adding a couple clowns after doing a water change and checking nitrate levels once nitrite and ammonia are 0?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back