another (different) crab ID question

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy seems to have come in most likely on some sea lettuce (but possibly Caulerpa prolifera) that I bought online and dumped into a quarantine tank. I started seeing sheds after a few weeks, and of course they got bigger, before I finally found the guy. His carapace maxed out at about a centimeter before I released him into the display tank, whereupon he would have been devoured instantly by my bicolored dottyback had I not tapped on the glass to frighten the fish away until the crab could descend into another macroalgae. That episode caught be by surprise because the dottyback never showed any interest in my emerald or hermit crabs. I guess I should have put him straight into the refugium. This little guy looks a lot like some kind of ~spider crab (Inachidae) to me - tiny, tiny claws and general body shape. These land photos don't convey how hairy it looks underwater. I can't imagine it could be harmful to anything since his claws are so small, but who knows how big it might grow if it doesn't get eaten first. Anyone have any ideas what it is or where it is native to?
DSCN6228a_small.JPG
DSCN6229a_small.JPG

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a spider crab.

Edit: but it isn't. maybe related to hydroid crabs. Another guy had a white v hydroid crab. I dunno. New to me really and not often seen.

OP
OP
P

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a spider crab.

Edit: but it isn't. maybe related to hydroid crabs. Another guy had a white v hydroid crab. I dunno. New to me really and not often seen.
While looking for pix of hydroid crabs I ran across some decorator crabs (Epialtidae) that are also similar. I've got to wonder how much different it might look if it grew large.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While looking for pix of hydroid crabs I ran across some decorator crabs (Epialtidae) that are also similar. I've got to wonder how much different it might look if it grew large.
You can try to feed it in a dump and see how it grows.
My initial thought was a small decorator, but I am no crab expert at all.
Me either. But they can be fun to observe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back