Another Dino Thread

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing what I thought was *everything* right, I am now experiencing an ostreopsis bloom. Of course immediately after adding some nicer corals as well.
NO3 and PO4 never reached undetectable levels (5-12 nyos, and .01-.02 Hanna) ok, ok, po4 was admittedly too low! I was trying to keep it up with heavy pellet feeding. I eradicated some nuisance macro algae that was growing on rocks and suddenly BOOM, dinos...
So, a couple of questions...

I plan to raise my nitrates, which are now 5, up to 12, and phosphates, which have crashed to 0 (guessing the dinos are using them), up to .05. If I maintain these numbers will that be sufficient, or should I aim higher?

I plan on dosing sponge excel, how should I go about this?

I ordered a pentair 40w smart UV and a varios6 to run it. Should I plumb from sump to display or display back to display? Also what setting on the varios should I use for optimal flow through?

I did also dose some pods, and have started dosing phyto as well. min addition I removed filter socks, halted my awc, and dialed back the water height on my skimmer.

Thank you all so much in advance, and any other tips are so appreciated.

sebi1100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , u can check ur tank water / reverse osmosis water with an icp - sometimes Dinos r coming if Si is too high.

U can also check ur lighting - if it’s pretty aggressive blue light then reduce these channels a bit or raise the fixture for some inches. Specially if jod is too low the corals maybe stressed and release their symbiotic algae . Maybe ur new corals did it .

And maybe just turn on the lights for now only 8-10 hours , not 10-12 as usual.

greetings
Sebi

Last edited:

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conventional, tried/true method for ostreopsis:
a) Raise NO3 and PO4 to >10 -15 and >.1 - .15 respectively. NYOS test, Hanna ULR test. You may be shocked at how much PO4 you need to dose.
b) Install a UV to/from the affected display (not sump). 1 watt per 3 gallons. 300-400 GPH is OK. Slower if you can.
c) No aminos at all. No GFO. Skim dry. No carbon dosing. No water changes.
d) Run activated carbon; ostreos are toxic
e) Manual removal: blow them off often. Clamp filter floss in high light / high flow areas. Think 4" X 12" strips. Rinse in the sink each night just before the lights go off.
f) reduce lighting period to 7-8 hours per day if currently running longer than that.

Once you get some competing green algae and cyano going, you will know you are getting close.

i would also post in the main dino thread you might get some latest/greatest tips i haven't thought of

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 40w UV should work for a tank up to 120 gallons. I didn’t see tank size however. Do just as @fuelman says.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conventional, tried/true method for ostreopsis:
a) Raise NO3 and PO4 to >10 -15 and >.1 - .15 respectively. NYOS test, Hanna ULR test. You may be shocked at how much PO4 you need to dose.
b) Install a UV to/from the affected display (not sump). 1 watt per 3 gallons. 300-400 GPH is OK. Slower if you can.
c) No aminos at all. No GFO. Skim dry. No carbon dosing. No water changes.
d) Run activated carbon; ostreos are toxic
e) Manual removal: blow them off often. Clamp filter floss in high light / high flow areas. Think 4" X 12" strips. Rinse in the sink each night just before the lights go off.
f) reduce lighting period to 7-8 hours per day if currently running longer than that.

Once you get some competing green algae and cyano going, you will know you are getting close.

i would also post in the main dino thread you might get some latest/greatest tips i haven't thought of
Thank you so so much!

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so so much!
your welcome!!! i would add another thing. don't let up on the treatment at the point where you have no dinos "visible" in your tank i would leave the nutrients high & wait to do a water change for another 2 weeks at least, they are still there just greatly diminished. i wouldn't dose any aminos for a few months just to be on the safe side, dinos love aminos.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back