Another ICH Post, Please Help!

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my 72 bow is riddled with ich. Second major outbreak in a couple months. I know what I did wrong for the get go and I want to correct it. I have read all of the threads about the three methods of eradicating ich, but I am now stuck on how and where to actually start. LFS had me start Kick Ich, but the overwhelming response is that it will not do a dang thing.

First step, transfer fish to a 36 bow that I can set up as a QT. Start it with Display water and treat with copper? Is it too small for 2 clowns, 1 powder brown, 1 pintail fairy wrasse, 3 chromis and 1 fire fish?

It's my understanding that I don't need to cycle the QT if I change water every few days, closely monitoring ammonia?

Not really sure what to do with the inverts.

Can I or should I treat the main display with copper? How long and how do I remove the copper once the ich is dead? I think I read that the live rock is trash once exposed to copper?

To transfer the fish back to the main display, do I do TTM or treat with copper in the hospital?

This is all very overwhelming and I want to make sure I've got the big picture steps down before I start the snowball rolling.

Thanks in advance.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my 72 bow is riddled with ich. Second major outbreak in a couple months. I know what I did wrong for the get go and I want to correct it. I have read all of the threads about the three methods of eradicating ich, but I am now stuck on how and where to actually start. LFS had me start Kick Ich, but the overwhelming response is that it will not do a dang thing.

First step, transfer fish to a 36 bow that I can set up as a QT. Start it with Display water and treat with copper? Is it too small for 2 clowns, 1 powder brown, 1 pintail fairy wrasse, 3 chromis and 1 fire fish?

It's my understanding that I don't need to cycle the QT if I change water every few days, closely monitoring ammonia?

Can I or should I treat the main display with copper? How long and how do I remove the copper once the ich is dead? I think I read that the live rock is trash once exposed to copper?

To transfer the fish back to the main display, do I do TTM or treat with copper in the hospital?

This is all very overwhelming and I want to make sure I've got the big picture steps down before I start the snowball rolling.

Thanks in advance.

I would use copper.

I prefer copper power used with the Hanna checker. I treat at 1.75ppm.

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pull fish out of display tank and do not treat display tank. keep all fish out for min of 30 days!

you don't have time to cycle the QT tank. place fish in 36 and use copper with test kit. salinaty of 1.019 temp of 80. I believe seachem prime will help with ammonia. but test and change water as needed.

good luck.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
Need to move all fish to the QT. Can seed a sponge with bio Spira or similar product to help with the biological filter. This will speed things up but you’ll need frequent water changes initially until the biological filter catches up. Treat the fish with copper for 30 days.
Can leave inverts in your DT but will need to leave fallow for 72 days to be sure you eradicate ich from the tank.
As long as your fish look ok and are no longer showing symptoms can return fish to display tank in 72 days.
You do not need to treat the DT as long as all fish have been removed

OP
OP
Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller off the two clowns

4C14082A-1F3B-40E1-B53D-871C5F4CC376.jpeg

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not treat your display. Leave it fallow for 76 days. Treat all fish in qt tank. Inverts can stay in DT. No prime when using copper. Keep a close eye on ammonia in qt tank. Be prepared to do lots of water changes keeping your copper at therapeutic level.

Back