Another Miracle, My Glass Box 400 gallon…

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what can I say, somehow I’ve been drawn back into this hobby. It’s been quite some time since I left the hobby, but I guess the hobby never left me.

In July of 2019 was when I left the hobby.
I had setup my dream tank, which was a killer aquarium. It was from Miricles aquariums out of Ontario and was absolutely amazing. With a busy schedule and business booming at the time, I had no time. No time for the aquarium at all. So it had to go. Thankfully, a good Reefer buddy of mine was able to take on the task of a monster build, so the aquarium went over to my good buddy @CoralFragZ. Tom is an awesome Reefer with a ton of knowledge in the hobby and great person, so it was awesome he got it. He has done an insane job growing this thing out.

My old build thread can be found here if anyone is interested.

Let me start off by saying I jumped into this hobby in 2004. I started with a 75 gallon off the shelf aquarium from petco I believe. I was hooked immediately. Along the way I’ve had 60 cube , a 120G, and a 240 gallon display that was probably my best grown out aquarium. I tend to keep primarily SPS corals. I’m a stick head, which may be a problem cause my new little Reefer loves the flowy “stuff” lol! My Love Lauren is new to the hobby and very encouraging so this should be a fun journey for the both of us.

Well onto the reason your all here, all you addicts like me, who would work an extra hour, or go without some groceries just for a piece of coral, or that new fish….

The new aquarium will again, be built by Miricles and the sump will be as well. I’ve considered other builders, but how could I not go with Derek again? After all he’s so kind and helpful when it comes to the planning. There company has come along way, and the quality has even improved since I got my last aquarium he has said.

So the aquarium will be 72’’ long by 36” wide by 30” deep. This equates to around 336 gallons for the display volume. Panels will be starfire on three sides, black background , black starboard bottom, black silicone. The sump will be 60” long by 24” wide by 20” deep. It will have a section for each piece of equipment I will use.

Skimmer will be my old Bubble King Delux 300 internal, I was able to get that back from Tom he had it just collecting dust waiting for my return .

Lighting will be 3, 400w metal halides in lumenmax elite reflectors. The ultimate in aquarium lighting in my opinion.

I will post more as I go about everything else in the build, a lot left to do….

Tanks for tuning in……..

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome back.. Looking forward to the build.

I use to love MH, but the heat and energy cost swayed me to LEDs. Where are you going to get your MH bulbs. I don't see them around anymore.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back.. Looking forward to the build.

I use to love MH, but the heat and energy cost swayed me to LEDs. Where are you going to get your MH bulbs. I don't see them around anymore.
As of now i have enough for a few years… hopefully the leds will have the look i love by then, there super close, still pretty pricey though.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like forever ago since I gave an update on this thread. Behind the scenes the build has been moving right along.

The Marco rock that I ordered from BRS along with some that I acquired locally was given the Muratic acid and bleach bath. 20 mins in the acid, followed by a week long soak in the bleach. After it was rinsed a ton and left to dry for 2-3 months until the tank arrived.

IMG_2013.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg
IMG_2243.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg
IMG_2635.jpeg

During the waiting period I started building the stand.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand was framed with 4x4 Ceader posts and 2x6, was sheeted with 3/4 plywood on top. The front was left open for easy access.

IMG_2655.jpeg
70351792968__6C61B3CE-8E2B-4C30-912D-A52FF5EA575B.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2663.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium arrived a couple weeks after I finished the rough framing of the stand. It was a total bummer as the sump was cracked during transit. Derek at Miricles is a really nice person to deal with. This is my second tank from his company. After saying that there were some issues with the aquarium unfortunately. I don’t plan on getting into that however. Here are some more
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2615.jpeg
IMG_2617.jpeg

Good to have a buddy who squats in the 500 club

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back