Another newbie question!

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Peninsula 500 owners. I am just setting up and need inspiration and help! Two questions please: 1) I've followed the set-up instructions for the sump - see my pic. Any suggestions? I plan to use the back compartment (smaller side) behind the skimmer section for a refugium. I've read that some owners have made modifications, but I figure I'll start with the manufacturers set-up. Also 2) My LFS suggested I place my Gyre (XF350) in a vertical position on the side of the overflow weir. Most pics I've see is placed horizontal 3 or 4 inches below the surface of the water. Suggestions? My return pump is a Vectra 2. I plan to stock with easy fish and softies and LPS to start. My lights are AI Hydra 16 (3 of them). Does the setup look OK? Anything else I should absolutely need to have. Oh, and I do plan to have 1" - 2" of sand. Thanks!

IMG_1828.jpg IMG_1827.jpg gyre.jpg IMG_1825.jpg sump.jpg

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all Aggies! Since you’re going to have a sand bed I highly recommend putting a diamond watchman goby on your stocking list. Unmatched in sand sifting IME and also super entertaining to watch.

I’ve never had a gyre pump but I have seen people place them vertically. Just remember nothing is set in stone. See if it works for your tank and if it doesn’t try it horizontally.

Class of ‘14 Gig ‘em

0B8CE4C0-C02D-4A36-B6A4-6480A9730A01.jpeg

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Aggie here. Gig ‘em!
Does your setup have an auto top off?
Well...I think so but not sure. The reservoir tank that slides on top of the lower compartments of the sump has a float valve connected to a tube that empties into the lower compartments. Showing my ignorance here - is this the ATO?

nmaragh18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I think so but not sure. The reservoir tank that slides on top of the lower compartments of the sump has a float valve connected to a tube that empties into the lower compartments. Showing my ignorance here - is this the ATO?
Aggie1978, I have the same Tank and yes that is the ATO you are describing. I'm not a fan of it and actually ordered another ATO Reservoir and a Neptune ATK to do the automatic top off for me, also working in the Sump with the stock ATO is not the easiest. I also just started my Refugium.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back