Another newbie stocking question

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is all set up. Corals etc moved to new tank, fish from previous tank (only had two) rehomed. I had a 3rd fish previously (Tang) that got ich/velvet/who knows and went from fine, to dead during a 16 hour work day, so the progression was swift. Either way, due to that, I am running the new tank fallow for 3 months. When the tang quickly died/was discovered, the remaining 2 fish stayed in the tank, unaffected for 2+ months until today when I removed them and rehomed them, so there is a chance the Tang had nothing contagious etc, but like I said, new tank is staying fish-free for 3 months a precaution.

I don’t have the ability to quarantine now, so my plan is to get 2-3 fish and keep them hopefully for the long-haul and if I ever decide to add after that, or I lose a couple, then start a quarantine then.

I am 100% sold on a Quoyi Parrotfish, so I am looking at any 2 other fish that are hardy and can live with it.

Tank, having a small bioload leaves a lot of options, so Boxfish etc are something of interest. It is a full reef tank, so reef safe is a must. I am willing to rehome something if it outgrows the tank. Tank is 8’ long, shallow, 200g total with 160 or so display

Recommendations?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking primarily at larger fish? With an 8' length you have a lot of options. Also, are you trying to keep your bioload low? I checked out the Quoyi Parrotfish you mentioned, and WOW! That is one beautiful fish.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had an 8’ tank the first fish I would add would be 20-25 azure damsels.

Super low bio load and constant color and activity. And pretty mild mannered.

Then a few big fish if that is your desire. To go with the parrot fish, a pair of blue throat triggers would be awesome, or a trio of bellus angelfish. Maybe a yellow or purple tang.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking primarily at larger fish? With an 8' length you have a lot of options. Also, are you trying to keep your bioload low? I checked out the Quoyi Parrotfish you mentioned, and WOW! That is one beautiful fish.

Yeah, just trying to not have a maintenance nightmare and I am focusing on a few fish and a bunch of coral

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had an 8’ tank the first fish I would add would be 20-25 azure damsels.

Super low bio load and constant color and activity. And pretty mild mannered.

Then a few big fish if that is your desire. To go with the parrot fish, a pair of blue throat triggers would be awesome, or a trio of bellus angelfish. Maybe a yellow or purple tang.

Not sure I am up for the feeding requirements of the trigger.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have no experience with the big guys suitable for your tank.

JuanGutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would of suggested most of what everyone else has. Not to many wrasses that don’t require a sandbed and are reef safe. You really only have a few more fish to look at. Anthias possibly? You had a bad go with one tang could always try again...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With that parrot, you can add Harlequin tusk wrasse, a niger trigger, tang and even a larger angel such as queen/blue/majestic/passer or emperor

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a harlequin tusk, but I'm too attached to my inverts. I also always wanted a niger trigger. A well respected LFS owner keeps one in his one of his display tanks, and says as long as he's well fed he doesn't bother the corals.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to do wrasses, what types can live peacefully together and don’t require a sandbed?

Fairy and Flasher wrasses do not require sand beds and there are lots of species to choose from, although most don't get very large. There's a very in-depth sticky about combining wrasses in the Aquarium Fish forum you could check out. You could fit an awful lot of wrasses in that size tank!

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look at the local shop for inspiration, and see where my mind wanders. I like the idea of big slow fish, or lots of little ones I guess.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new skunk cleaner shrimp died overnight on the first day in the tank. frustrating.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back