OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a fish list while I wait for reefapalooza! Already have a room booked and hubby is on board. Working on an equipment list as well ... that'll be forth coming.

I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction for compatible tank mates given my size of tank. We're thinking smaller, more peaceful fish with lots of color and interesting to watch. I have no idea right now if my list is way too long or not since I don't see many tanks in my area this size and it's a bit hard for me to conceive of it in my head. Fortunately we won't be ready for the tank till probably June so I have time to do more research. I figure I'll start with the list and get a good order in which to add the fish and if I run out of appropriate amount of space / filtration for them then I'll stop :) Plus I'll have to see what my local LFS are able to get for me.

Wrasses:
Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) 4”
Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) 5” (add last?)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) 3”
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) (5”)
Labouti Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) 5”
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus) 5”
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (macropharyngodon ornatus) 5”
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) 3”

Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) 5”
Pearlscale Butterflyfish (Chaetodon xanthrusus) 5.5”
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) 8.5” (x2? maybe if ok with other butterflyfish)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra) 5”
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora) 3.5” x ?#
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) 4.5” (Already have mated pair)
Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) 4.5”
Blue Stripe Neon Goby (Gobiosoma oceanops ) 2” x 2
Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus) 3.5”
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) 12” (My exception to the think small rule)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Tammieh!

Working on a fish list while I wait for reefapalooza!

Wrasses:
Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) 4”
Melanarus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) 5” (add last?)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) 3”
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) (5”)
Labouti Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) 5”
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus) 5”
Ornate Leopard Wrasse (macropharyngodon ornatus) 5”
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) 3”

Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) 5”
Pearlscale Butterflyfish (Chaetodon xanthrusus) 5.5”
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) 8.5” (x2? maybe if ok with other butterflyfish)
Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra) 5”
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora) 3.5” x ?#
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) 4.5” (Already have mated pair)
Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) 4.5”
Blue Stripe Neon Goby (Gobiosoma oceanops ) 2” x 2
Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus) 3.5”
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) 12” (My exception to the think small rule)

That's a very cool fish list, and for the most part I think they'll be amazing together. I would definitely add the melanurus after the biocellatus is well established (and probably use a social acclimation box - or even a temporary tank divider - when adding new wrasses). Also, not sure if the pearlscale butterfly is coral safe - something to be aware of. With the yellow longnose, I know they're often found in pairs on the reef, but haven't heard too many tales of that working out well in aquaria. Then again ... you might just have enough room for two of them to stay out of each other's way!

~Bruce

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome
I run the ghost in my 200 gal. Drilled returns and run 2 Vectra L1's for the returns. I essentially killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Got mad flow and 10x turn over. My sump is directly below in basement so used 2 top notch check valves on return lines. I just added 1 mp 40. I'm set on flow. No wires clean look.
Love the ghost ,running Bean Animal! Very quiet

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! We found a Quyoi parrotfish that my husband fell absolutely in love with, so that might get added to the list and maybe a wrasse or two subtracted. I already have the pearlscale (long story) and it's been pretty reef safe in my little tank so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I also like the One-Stripe Anthias and the red saddled anthias, so I might have to add maybe a group of one of those.

We're going to reefapalooza in Orlando in May. Since we won't be moving in to the new home until June, there won't be major action until afterwards. But I'm hoping to come up with an equipment list so I can start pricing things and maybe talk to some people at reefapalooza and here to get final input before laying down a bunch of cash.

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love a quiet and clean look! We're working on ways to hide the plumbing on the side but still retain access to it since it's a peninsula. I'll probably do some sort of cabinetry up the wall so I still have access in case something happens.

I was thinking of using the Vectra L1's for return, did you use any of their vortech pumps as well in the tank? And, have you used any of the different wave actions of the Vectras? I was wondering how much they might alter the level of the water in the tank with the wave action.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoyi parrots are awesome! Well ... most of them are.

I bought one almost three weeks ago, and he's been hiding in PVC pipes in QT ever since. Every other one I know of comes out to play, and at least eats NLS pellets, but mine? <sigh> At least the last two days or so, he's been hiding at the _other_end_ of the tank!

Congrats on having a (mostly!) reef-safe pearlscale!

~Bruce

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just the 1 vortech mp40
But the L1's for the returns are pegged at 100% . I use 2 so I can achieve the 10x tank turnover. With the 10ft of head pressure I figured they do about 1200-1400 gph each and if one goes bad I can still run tank . I never really tried in my application to use them in a wave mode. You won't be able to if using in return set up as your bean animal set up would be unbalanced and gurgle real bad. That system needs a steady flow . Took a while to dial in with a gate valve but you wouldn't believe how quite 2500gph sounds!
You could use 1 L1 in a closed loop for flow then do a wave or pulse action!

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tile floor is finally going in. Looks like the move in date is pushed back another few months. Hopefully in by August.

I was able to go to Reef a Palooza in Orlando which helped a lot in the planning process.

Just read a thread on Facebook where someone's m10s stopped working because the update wasn't done. Anyone here have that issue? I wanted a couple of m40s for my tank. I like the thought of keeping the electrical part out of the water.
a3aeacb84a93e5c647fc2bda8a681529.jpg

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, never seen spacers like those either. Love wood look tile. One of my big regrets is going wood as my kids continuously scar it up

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, never seen spacers like those either. Love wood look tile. One of my big regrets is going wood as my kids continuously scar it up

We had a slightly unlevel floor so the spacers actually run underneath the tiles and the orange wedge helps level each tile to the others. This makes the l tile installation go much quicker for this type of floor.

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress. The house is STILL being worked on. Looks like we'll be lucky to move in by Thanksgiving. I did however get a 16" Shadow overflow that I'm excited to be using. Now if I can pick up things here and there to be ready for when we finally get moved it. ;-)

It's coming!
0624171828_resized.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back