Another Noopsyche lighting setup question/problem - connecting the light to my app via my home wifi network?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my Noopsyche K7 Pro v3 light. Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the light do not match the steps/options available to me in the downloaded app. The process of "Clicking Apply Permission" is not an available option for me.

To connect my app to the light, I had to put my light into "AP" mode by tapping the "R" button on the front of the light. Then I had to connect my phone to the Wifi network labeled "K7_Pro...". I presume this is a low power network hosted by the light. I can't recall if I ended up using my home router password or the Noopsyche factory password to make the final connection. I tried both.

At this point the light is operational, synced time wise to my phone, and allowed me to select between sps, lps, or sps/lps auto mode. Unfortunately I can only connect to the light with the app if I switch to the K7_Pro... "wifi network". I'm not sure if that is proper or a bug. It seems rather clunky to have to manually change my phone from my home wifi network to the K7_Pro... network every time I want to see the data or adjust the lighting spectrum. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other owners can chime in, maybe there's a setting or something you can change. From an IT perspective though, some app-connected devices work this way. It's not the most seamless way to do it, but it's a way to do it.

It's a lot harder to make things app and Internet connected than most people realize. There's a lot that has to go on behind the scenes for things to "just work" with an app. Usually, getting IoT devices to work on the same network means the manufacturer has to host a server to broker communication between your app and the device. The setup is also harder, and there's a lot that can go wrong with even getting the device connected to your home network. Plus, when the manufacturer decides to shut down the server, your device is now a brick. Not to mention, you now have a device sitting on your home network that can spy on anything you do.

This method's more crude, but it's simpler, which probably is why this light is cheaper than most. Plus, the light can't spy on your network and the light won't become a brick when Noopsyche decides to turn off the server.

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other owners can chime in. From an IT perspective, this isn't the most seamless way to do it, but it's a way to do it.

It's a lot harder to make things app and Internet connected than most people realize. There's a lot that has to go on behind the scenes for things to "just work" with an app. Usually, getting IoT devices to work on the same network means the manufacturer has to host a server to broker communication between your app and the device. The setup is also harder, and there's a lot that can go wrong with even getting the device connected to your home network. Plus, when the manufacturer decides to shut down the server, your device is now a brick. Not to mention, you now have a device sitting on your home network that can spy on anything you do.

This method's more crude, but it's simpler, which probably is why this light is cheaper than most. Plus, the light can't spy on your network and the light won't become a brick when Noopsyche decides to turn off the server.
I was wondering about the network spying capability. I'm glad to hear that this method avoids any such issue.

So from this and another thread, it looks like I have to switch my wifi network to the K7 Pro "network" wheneve I want to use the app on my phone to access the light. So this is a feature, not a bug. :)

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Noo-psyche will not turn off the server :face-with-tears-of-joy:
That's not why NP price is lower than AI, Kessil, Radion. Noopsyche will do more work on APP. The prices per watt of Noopsyche is the lowest in the industry, but the material is definitely not inferior to these high-margin brands.

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about the network spying capability. I'm glad to hear that this method avoids any such issue.

So from this and another thread, it looks like I have to switch my wifi network to the K7 Pro "network" wheneve I want to use the app on my phone to access the light. So this is a feature, not a bug. :)
If your wifi router doesn't separate out the wifi names between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands then you can have issues with connecting to the router. I'm not technical enough to know why this happens since some things that are 2.4ghz only connect fine and others don't. I have an Orbi (netgear) mesh wifi system and it uses the same name for both bands. I could never get my Noopsyche lights to connect to it. I ended up dusting off an older router that I could give separate names to the bands and it connected with no issues to the 2.4ghz band. Unfortunately you run into the same issue you have with the AP mode. When you want to connect to the light you have to switch your phone over to the wifi network the light is on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back