Another Powder Brown Tang in QT

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to hijack the other thread regarding Powder Brown in QT so I figured I'd start this here.

I currently have a powder brown in qt with a female swallow tail angel and starry blenny. They just finished Prazi and every one is eating well and seemingly happy. Ammonia/nitrites show zero on the API kit therefore I was going to perform a large water change and start copper. I've read somewhere that these tangs are quite sensitive to copper and could develop HLLE. Any advice before I proceed?

The QT is a 40B with a HOB filter. I've already treated with QuickCure (quickcure bath during acclimation), 3 days observation, 7 days of Prazi.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you start copper; have you administered 2 doses of Prazipro, 5-7 days apart?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. Only one dose for 7 days. If you recommend another round of Prazi treatment I can certainly do that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. Only one dose for 7 days. If you recommend another round of Prazi treatment I can certainly do that.

Yes, you want to dose Prazipro again about 1 week after the initial dosage. To kill any hatchlings before they can lay eggs of their own. (Prazi only kills worms, not any eggs they might leave behind.)

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you want to dose Prazipro again about 1 week after the initial dosage. To kill any hatchlings before they can lay eggs of their own. (Prazi only kills worms, not any eggs they might leave behind.)

Easy enough. I was missing this step from my previous regiment but better late then never

Any advice on copper and the powder brown? I do mix with Selcon and provide a variety of foods, not to mention make sure they're eating before I start. I also plan on raising the levels over a weeks time but anything else I should be thinking about with these tangs?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on copper and the powder brown? I do mix with Selcon and provide a variety of foods, not to mention make sure they're eating before I start. I also plan on raising the levels over a weeks time but anything else I should be thinking about with these tangs?

I would probably use chelated copper (Coppersafe) over ionic (Cupramine). Also make sure you have a compatible Cu test kit: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/

Another option is to use CP: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

I personally use CP (in lieu of copper) on all fish nowadays, except for wrasses and Hippo Tangs.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably use chelated copper (Coppersafe) over ionic (Cupramine). Also make sure you have a compatible Cu test kit: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/

Another option is to use CP: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

I personally use CP (in lieu of copper) on all fish nowadays, except for wrasses and Hippo Tangs.

I can certainly call my vet and ask for CP. thanks for the advice. Will do a water change and give these guys a break for a few days followed by Prazi then copper/CP.

Thanks again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back