Another red sea reefer seam failure. Sharing my experience with a failed 625xxl

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to include my experience with all the others here. I recommend anyone shopping for a new aquarium to avoid Red Sea. I have purchased their products since 1993, but will never again buy anything they offer.

I purchased a 625XXL Gen 1 just over 4 years ago, and it has been full of water for about 3.5 years. A few weeks ago I noticed the bottom seam of the tank separating above the sump. A quick search on the net and I see this is a well documented problem.

The next day I noticed the affected area grew, and at this point I started to have serious concerns. I didn't want the tank to leak or explode, so over the next week I set up temporary systems to hold all my fish and corals. Not an easy or cheap task to be blindsided with. I was sleeping next to the tank. I was so afraid it was going to go at any moment it was a very stressful week. About 8 days after I noticed the seam problem, I got the 625 empty and safely out of the house, with all livestock safe in temp housing.

I have been in communication with Red Sea since the day after I noticed the failure. They have pictures. Even though I was past the extended 3 year warranty, I was hoping they would step up to the plate, given they are clearly aware of the issue. They offered me a credit towards the "new and improved" system. But that option still leaves me spending over 3K with Red Sea to get the replacement system. They will not sell me just the tank.

I understand my tank is out of warranty and Red Sea owes me nothing. I also feel a glass aquarium should last more than 4 years. I see there is a Gen2 now, which specifically fixes the stand's weaknesses, and supports the front glass. To me this clearly shows the first gens as Lemons, and I feel a good company would stand behind them, even after warranty.

I have kept aquariums for over 40 years, and I still have some from the 90's that hold water just fine. This is the first aquarium I did not build my own stand for. As I am getting older, I figured I could save my labor and trust in the stand they provide, since they warranty the tank with it. I will not be making that mistake again. I am a carpenter, and I can assure you the Red Sea stand was dead level, and all the little feet were doing equal work. There was nothing on top of the tank other than a screen top All the lighting is in a canopy, suspended above the tank from the ceiling. I keep my magnets and other cleaning tools clear of the seams.

So now I have the expense of the temporary tanks, the labor to make it all happen including time off work, a 400+ lb aquarium to dispose of, and I need a new main tank and stand. There is no way I'm keeping the sump which was engineered by the same people.

I will not give Red Sea another dime. I already ordered a new tank from Glass Cages and will be building a proper stand for it myself. Take it for what you will. I just want my experience to be available for anyone shopping for a new tank. I absolutely regret buying a Red Sea Reefer.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read this a lot lately. Red Sea seems to be a very dominant and good brand, but their aquariums seem to be rather a "golden ticket". It's really a hit or miss on them. Honestly, Juwel has done this way better.

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me weary. I got a six month old system used only to have the tank dropped by my neighbor 2 inches from the ground on the corner. The guy I bought it from has been super effin' cool contacting RedSea about it since the tank is under warranty, but I have a sinking feeling they're gonna shrug and say "*** you, pal." You might see me posting 2k worth of RedSea stuff and extra goodies here shortly since it's been 8 days since intial contact.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me weary. I got a six month old system used only to have the tank dropped by my neighbor 2 inches from the ground on the corner. The guy I bought it from has been super effin' cool contacting RedSea about it since the tank is under warranty, but I have a sinking feeling they're gonna shrug and say "*** you, pal." You might see me posting 2k worth of RedSea stuff and extra goodies here shortly since it's been 8 days since intial contact.
Well honestly, if your neighbor dropped it on the floor from 2 inches high, what do you expect RedSea to do about it? They cannot go around compensating people who drop aquariums on the floor.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make me worry go ahead. I have a 5 year old 625XXL...

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly, if your neighbor dropped it on the floor from 2 inches high, what do you expect RedSea to do about it? They cannot go around compensating people who drop aquariums on the floor.
You're right. By OP mentioned RedSea wouldn't sell him a tank by itself. Which is the exact same situation I'm in.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In just a few post someone is going to ask if you ever moved the tank or bought it used, then blame you and call you dumb for doing such a thing....you know because moving a tank is a bad thing.

I fell you though. My tank was supposed to last me 20+ years, like you I am getting older and this cost me days off work, my labor for moving all that livestock around, tearing down a large heavy tank and 3k in a new tank and lights. Why lights? Because I never want to see the name red sea again.

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea came back and the MAP for the replacement tank is 1518. That would be 1700'ish out the door for a system I can buy brand new for 2400 (minus tax / S&H).

Which means the LFS get's it for less, but the LFS needs to make money too and according to my sources, the LFS's have MAP contracts with RedSea so they'll get in trouble if they sell it for less than MAP pricing.

OP
OP
c_ronius

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought it brand new, set it up once. I set up custom tanks from 10 to 2000 gallons professionally for 15 years.

Wasted money on red sea. At least others can search for and see these threads for themselves and hopefully stop giving rs their hard earned money.

Thanh386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After posting my experiences with 2 tank failure ( with evidence and RedSea responses) within the same year on their official Facebook page, I was conveniently removed and banned from their page. They have become very lax in their quality control and customer services/satisfaction

NjMikeD83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to have a place here to post this stuff. If RedSea spent half as much time on tank quality as they do deleting posts about tank failures on Facebook they could probably make some improvements

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and to th1nk, someone 1n a dumb facebook group just told me to "go buy a redsea" 1nstead when 1 ment1oned my 10g cracked!

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to include my experience with all the others here. I recommend anyone shopping for a new aquarium to avoid Red Sea. I have purchased their products since 1993, but will never again buy anything they offer.

I purchased a 625XXL Gen 1 just over 4 years ago, and it has been full of water for about 3.5 years. A few weeks ago I noticed the bottom seam of the tank separating above the sump. A quick search on the net and I see this is a well documented problem.

The next day I noticed the affected area grew, and at this point I started to have serious concerns. I didn't want the tank to leak or explode, so over the next week I set up temporary systems to hold all my fish and corals. Not an easy or cheap task to be blindsided with. I was sleeping next to the tank. I was so afraid it was going to go at any moment it was a very stressful week. About 8 days after I noticed the seam problem, I got the 625 empty and safely out of the house, with all livestock safe in temp housing.

I have been in communication with Red Sea since the day after I noticed the failure. They have pictures. Even though I was past the extended 3 year warranty, I was hoping they would step up to the plate, given they are clearly aware of the issue. They offered me a credit towards the "new and improved" system. But that option still leaves me spending over 3K with Red Sea to get the replacement system. They will not sell me just the tank.

I understand my tank is out of warranty and Red Sea owes me nothing. I also feel a glass aquarium should last more than 4 years. I see there is a Gen2 now, which specifically fixes the stand's weaknesses, and supports the front glass. To me this clearly shows the first gens as Lemons, and I feel a good company would stand behind them, even after warranty.

I have kept aquariums for over 40 years, and I still have some from the 90's that hold water just fine. This is the first aquarium I did not build my own stand for. As I am getting older, I figured I could save my labor and trust in the stand they provide, since they warranty the tank with it. I will not be making that mistake again. I am a carpenter, and I can assure you the Red Sea stand was dead level, and all the little feet were doing equal work. There was nothing on top of the tank other than a screen top All the lighting is in a canopy, suspended above the tank from the ceiling. I keep my magnets and other cleaning tools clear of the seams.

So now I have the expense of the temporary tanks, the labor to make it all happen including time off work, a 400+ lb aquarium to dispose of, and I need a new main tank and stand. There is no way I'm keeping the sump which was engineered by the same people.

I will not give Red Sea another dime. I already ordered a new tank from Glass Cages and will be building a proper stand for it myself. Take it for what you will. I just want my experience to be available for anyone shopping for a new tank. I absolutely regret buying a Red Sea Reefer.
So sorry, this really sucks. I have a smaller Red Sea and I'm in the process of replacing it with a large IM before I have problems. This isn't right. So many documented cases of these issues and Red Sea just keeps pushing tanks. I hope many have taken note of this like I have, and like you, will never purchase any Red Sea product ever again.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What exactly do you expect RS to do for a dropped tank? No matter who the owner is or who contacts them? A spilled drink at the bar, sure a new one on the house. A dropped tank, a refrigerator that topples out of your truck on the way home, a new car you smash on the way home from the dealer... I think you know the outcome.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back