Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May i ask what didnt you like with the seams? I have to spots that i raised an eyebrow at but upon extremely close inspection i deemed it to be ok

The inside seam on front glass starts pretty thick and it tapers off to very thin and concerns me. then as you can see the seam on the inside just stops about 6 inches from the top.

here is my thread on it let me know what you think.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-sca-tank-possible-seam-issues.317803/#post-3929106

Last edited:

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Gyre ? I actually got 2 gyre 250 for my 100 gallon and some people said it was too much flow. Do you fell it is too much flow and blowing sand all over the place? did you get the gyre hooked up to Apex or stand alone? What mode are you running the gyre at?

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem im running into is im getting tons of micro bubbles from the protein skimmer and into my display. Im not sure what to do about it.

15017809222891685671051.jpg

150178094829197197179.jpg

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far today i put some carbon online to help with water clarity. Its prettt clear but just want to polish. Also i added foam filter pads to try and combat micro bubbles from the skimmer. It did help but im still gettinf bubbles. Not sure what my next step will be. I will begin with the red sea reef mature program later today once i remove the carbon reactor

1501866753683148272792.jpg

20170804_130920.jpg

20170804_130924.jpg

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For todays upadate: stilk having micro bubble issues. Its been cut from what it was but none the less i still have the micro bubbles. Im not sure what else to do, space is really limited and im using skimz n123 protein skimmer. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
The second issue im having is with heat. My heater hasnt kicked on for 2 days the ambient room temp is 72 and my tank is running steady at around 81. I want to be able to keep the tank at 78. You can see from my temp profile on my apex the steady slow increase in temp

Screenshot_20170805-090031.png

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So combat this heat issue i ordered one of these. I only really need 2 degrees of cooling and I think this should work. I have a 10 gallon ATO reservoir so it should be able to handle the additonal evaporation

Screenshot_20170805-091319.png

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So combat this heat issue i ordered one of these. I only really need 2 degrees of cooling and I think this should work. I have a 10 gallon ATO reservoir so it should be able to handle the additonal evaporation

Screenshot_20170805-091319.png
I was just going to suggest some fans and move your gyre to break the waters surface to create more evaporation. I had to do the same thing on my tank. Now it stays at a constant 78-79 and heater never reallly turns on

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Gyre ? I actually got 2 gyre 250 for my 100 gallon and some people said it was too much flow. Do you fell it is too much flow and blowing sand all over the place? did you get the gyre hooked up to Apex or stand alone? What mode are you running the gyre at?
Im so sorry @Xclusive Reef I just realized i never answered your question. I like the gyres i have 2 vertically on each side of the tank on the back glass. I honestly was expecting higher flow. Im running there ocean current preset cycle with a max speed at 80% and i dont get any sand blowing. Now its hard to tell how much flow is actually in the tank as theres nothing in there. For all i know i could add some lps and the flow could be way to turbulent. I wilk say though that people where dead on when they say theres no dead spots. I have 2 spots where everything seems to be settling, id rather have it like that so it makes for a easy cleanup. I had a mp 10 laying around so i added that on the left side wall so I will definitely be good in that dept

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to suggest some fans and move your gyre to break the waters surface to create more evaporation. I had to do the same thing on my tank. Now it stays at a constant 78-79 and heater never reallly turns on
Thats good to hear that you had success cooling the tank with those methods. I was worried i would have to go with a chiller. I have my returns breaking the surface as well as a mp10 up near the top plus the 2 gyres and the top of the water is really turbulent already.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry @Xclusive Reef I just realized i never answered your question. I like the gyres i have 2 vertically on each side of the tank on the back glass. I honestly was expecting higher flow. Im running there ocean current preset cycle with a max speed at 80% and i dont get any sand blowing. Now its hard to tell how much flow is actually in the tank as theres nothing in there. For all i know i could add some lps and the flow could be way to turbulent. I wilk say though that people where dead on when they say theres no dead spots. I have 2 spots where everything seems to be settling, id rather have it like that so it makes for a easy cleanup. I had a mp 10 laying around so i added that on the left side wall so I will definitely be good in that dept
You will be surprised by the amount of flow you have when you get some corals in the tank to make it more visible. I only have two jaebo pp4's and I can't turn them up past 30% without my frogspawn hating the flow.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update, My micro bubble issues seem to be slowly going away! I still have some making it into the display but on the other hand I am also still in the process of breaking in and tuning my skimmer. Ive been waiting for a shipment from BRS that is coming today. The shipment will have all my essential test kits so that I can get a baseline set of numbers before I start the Red sea mature reef program tomorrow. Also coming in the mail today are my fans for the top of the tank. The temporary fan I have there now has worked perfectly and Ive been able to keep my tank between 78.3 and 78.6!
Looking into the future Im probably going to use a jeabo dosing pump and dose the BRS 2 part program along with reef energy a and b from red sea. Once I Start the red sea reef mature I will be updating daily with numbers and pictures I can document the progress and life of a cycle over a couple of months. Im hoping to be able to write my first article in the next few months !

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So had some extra time today before i went to work. I installed the fans i got to cool the tank. Im happy for the price I paid and they look great.

20170807_200400.jpg

20170807_200354.jpg

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as I mentioned earlier I had some spare time today and on top of adding the fans I started the red sea reef mature program! As of today I will now be documenting the daily progress of the cycle, what I see, and what is going on. These are my base Parameters that I just measured a few hours ago.
Salinity: 1.24 (will be raising to 1.26 over the next few days)
Alk: 6.72 (La Montee test kit)
Ca: 400 ( red sea test kit)
Mg: 1170 ( Salfiet )
Ph: 8.0 (hovers between 8.0 and 8.07)
Ammonia: .25 (sulfite)
PO4: .37 (Hanna)
Nitrate: 5 (nyos)

I dosed 7.5 ML of coraline growth KH as per red seas instruction to bring up the Kh to 8.2. The numbers above are with no additives and mixed right from my blue bucket of red sea salt and a water temp that fluctuates between 78.1 and 78.7.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back